Author Topic: Vaccination advice  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Vaccination advice
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 15:51:24 PM »
I stopped having Chivers and Punky vaccinated when they became 'elderly' (can't remember exactly how old they were) but that did mean that we couldn't use catteries when we went away.

Cleo and Alfs are done every year at the moment although Cleo, now being 13+, doesn't have the leuk. Alfie is often unwell for a day or two after his  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Lupin had one leukemia jab and thats it and the others dont have them.

Misa and Lupin vacinated on Monday and despite just flu and enteritus both slept for a while.

Sasa will go in a couple of weeks after she maybe has forgotten seeing the carrier!!

I do have them done every year after Napoleon caught flu at the vets and passed it to Ducha. Misa and Sasa who were vacinated didnt catch it!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 22:37:59 PM »
I post this for discussion but think it effectively says that "normal" feline vaccinations every 3 years and leuk jab annually however all vets I know have agreed leuk jab not required from about 10 years old as immunity pretty good from then on.

Annual health checks are however very much advised.

http://www.ava.com.au/policy/66-vaccination-dogs-and-cats

Our lot are however vaccinated annually  :shy: although Noni doesn't have leuk jab as she twice developed a lump around the injection area  :scared: and Billy is now 11 1/2 so not necessary.

The cats that get the leuk booster are always under the weather for 24 hours or so  :( but one of our my family's cats "Scoot Muldoon" died from an illness associated with Feline leuk in the 1970s and we loved him very much so I want to protect our from that condition if they appear able to cope with the side effects of the booster.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 13:34:55 PM »
Glad he is on the mend and also that you let the manufacturer know :hug: Must have been such a worry :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 13:00:37 PM »
It was 48 hours before he was back to normal and for the last 12 of those 48 hours he didn't eat and just slept which is unusual for him.

I let the manufacturer know and they have registered it as an abnormal reaction - I never normally bother but he was so out of sorts after it I wanted to know what their thoughts were.

I didn't realise that they became immune to Leukemia - that may help if I can drop part of the vaccination.  Neither go into catteries so should be okay on that score. 

Worth thinking about for next year. :)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »
Yes, even if it goes over two yrs a bit.

I am sure I heard a while ago that they last well over a year.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
I chatted to my vet last week about this. As all vets seem to differ. I never have the leukemia jab as my old cat had a bad reaction to it and I thought she was going to die so have said no ever since. This vet seem to give the nobivac trio one year then two years of the Ducat. I feel happier with this as it seems they are trying to do their best for the cats and not just medicate for the sake of it. I think lots of vets give the trio every year and the leukemia.

Alison, interesting to hear that you only get jabs every two years. Are the vets ok with this? I'd love to reduce the amount of vaccines mine have. When you think about it human vaccines all last much longer than a year, except for flu. So why are cats that difference?

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 21:21:42 PM »
I tend to have my two vaccinated every two years.

Archie is 9 ,  Parki 15 my vet said it was not necessary to have their leukemia boost last time as they do not go into a cattery or have contact with other cats in the area.

I wondered if boosters are necessary but got a shock three yrs back when both caught nasty colds so will now go every two yrs.

Hope Robbie is on the mend now :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 18:56:27 PM »
Sorry Robbie is like this and agree mostly with Helen.

What was the booster for?

If it included Leukemia then they dont need it at 10 as they will have immunity. However they do not become immune to flu as I found when Napoleon caught it at the vets and passed it to Ducha and both were very ill aged about 16 yrs.

Both my vets agreed that Napoleons health issues made it not good for him and I topped Duchas! Flu was worse.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 18:44:32 PM »
I wonder if the new (closer) vets use a different brand of vaccination both this time and last time compared to your old vets? Is there a sticker in the card saying the manufacturer?

Insurance-wise, check your policy to be sure obviously, but as I understand it the insurance is only affected in that they won't pay out for anything related to non-vaccination ie if the vaccine is for cat flu and he is unvaccinated and gets cat flu then they wouldn't pay out, it shouldn't affect them covering other health issues. Riley can't be vaccinated any more due to his epilepsy but the insurance still covers all other conditions.

I think the general school of thought is that by Robbie's age they've built up immunity anyway. One thing to consider is that he wouldn't be able to go in a cattery if he's unvaccinated, luckily I found a lovely pet sitter who is a vet nurse who visits twice daily when I'm away.

Hope he starts to feel better soon :care:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Vaccination advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 16:57:42 PM »
Has anyone any thoughts or experiences of regular vaccinations against non-vaccination?

Robbie has had his annual boosters yesterday and apart from becoming incredibly stressed at the vets (other animals, children, delays) in the 24 hours since having it done he has had a total change in character - he hasn't eaten, has been outside for 24 hours (thank goodness it has been nice) and won't come near anyone.  I have finally managed to get him inside (and he is now confined to the house) but he is just so nervy and unhappy.  I understand it is a live vaccine and he is usually a little bit subdued but never so much.

It's the second time he has been like this after his vaccinations and both times it was done at a vets surgery that is close to home - thinking it would be less stessful as it is less than 1 minute in the car.  On both occasions he has been poorly but this time he is really out of sorts.  I know that it will affect his insurance if he isn't vaccinated but given he is now almost 10 his insurance is going to start getting expensive anyway.

Link to CatChat