Author Topic: Clio's Tribulations - Advice needed  (Read 17565 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Clio's Tribulations - Advice needed
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2016, 18:22:28 PM »
I'd be careful with the Bob Martins treatments there's a facebook page which has lots of people that's pets have died or been very ill after using it.

One of my cats is sensitive to the flea treatment that goes on the back of their necks so the vet recommended a tablet that's now available so might be worth asking your vet about it.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2016, 16:11:52 PM »

I've been AWOL again for a while, so I thought I'd better give you an update, especially as it's good news!
Clio has developed a sensitivity to fleas, and it's been a struggle to keep on top of the problem. She keeps getting sores, including on the neck which makes spot-on treatments awkward, as I'm not keen on applying them to broken skin. I was looking in the pet section of the supermarket, and something made me pick up a spray bottle of Bob Martin Clear. I haven't heard great things about their stuff, so I'm not sure why I bought it, but I did!
It's for both the home and for cats, and you can (they say) spray it directly onto the fur. I tried that once, and Clio ran off! Then I had a brainwave. When Clio came back, I sprayed some on my hand, and massaged it into her, rubbing it into her skin. She was quite happy with that and, best of all, it seems to have done the trick. Not only have the sores started clearing up, but Clio seems to have a new enthusiasm for life. She will even let the others come close, especially Bramble as you can see!

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 18:37:16 PM »
Her top fur on her back end seems to have started to grow back, which has me wondering if the loss was due to nerves after all. It's still thin, so when she stands up, there's a clear line and it doesn't look as if it's grown, but it feels softer now than it did a few days ago. She seems quite happy to stay downstairs for hours at a time, but occasionally cries to be allowed upstairs, so I let her, and she always comes upstairs with me when I go to bed anyway.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 18:02:33 PM »
Lovely picture and sounds like things are getting towards a happy household  ;D ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2016, 17:12:19 PM »
A bit of peace and quiet. Clio knows that Lily is there but, so long as she doesn't get closer, she won't growl!
...and hopefully it's not wishful thinking, but I think Clio's fur is growing back.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 20:41:13 PM »
Lily's still chasing Clio, but it only happens occasionally, mostly in the first few minutes after Clio comes downstairs, then she remembers she won't get the response she wants!
Bramble, though, has started greeting Clio, nose to nose, and there's no growling or hissing at all, so she's making progress.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 03:38:58 AM »
Well done Clio and no dont think outside is for heryet.

Sorry dontn know about her tail end fur  :shify:

She is very pretty  ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 00:58:26 AM »
Clio's downstairs again, and Lily is behaving herself. No attempts to play with Clio, and Clio hasn't hissed or growled once, even though she's been past the other two cats several times for food and water, or to use the litter tray.
I had the back door open because I was using the tumble dryer, and I didn't want the windows steaming up, so I didn't let Clio come down as early as yesterday - I don't think she's ready to go outside yet.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 21:25:06 PM »
A quieter day today, even though Clio came down earlier, at 2 pm, and she's still here. I was able to let her in because the rain meant the other two didn't want to go out, so I didn't need the door open. There was a bit of hissing and growling from Clio, but only for less than a minute, then silence, apart from Clio's snoring!
You might notice in this photo that from the front of her hind legs to her head, her fur is as normal, but her back end seems to have lost the top layer of fur, with just a rough lower layer left. It's not in patches, so I don't think it's due to nervous, overzealous grooming. My current thinking is that it's because of age, but if anyone else has another idea, it would be welcome. She seems completely healthy otherwise. She sleeps a lot, but has no trouble moving.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 22:12:10 PM »
Lots of fearsome noises from Clio when the others get too close, but I think they're getting the message!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 22:01:57 PM »
Sounds good and she is very pretty  ;D ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 21:55:47 PM »
Something very unexpected happened last night, and again earlier this evening.
 Clio was waiting for me again when I went to bed last night, but instead of running upstairs, she went into the living room (there's a door from the living room to the stairs) and, because I left the light off, I didn't realise until I noticed she wasn't pouncing on my bed when I got into it! I had to go downstairs again, and I thought it best to let her explore for a while, until she got fed up with Lily, who of course wanted to play) and decided to go back upstairs.
Then a couple of hours ago, Clio followed me downstairs, and again went into the living room of her own accord.
I'll take her back upstairs with me when I go up, but for now Clio is back in her usual place on the back of my chair.

I'll let her go at her own speed, but hopefully she'll be happy to come downstairs again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 00:49:26 AM »
Actually, I sometimes see her at the bottom of the stairs, but she's just waiting for me, and runs back up as soon as she sees me, only stopping to wait when I take too long!

Sounds like Sasa  ;D

Sasa does come down though to eat and go out sometimes, she is getting to like going out less and is so much more sensible than Misa  :shify:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 23:28:24 PM »
Looks like Clio will be staying upstairs for the foreseeable future. My efforts to get her used to coming downstairs seem to be alarming her.
Luckily she's clean and not destructive, so it's not too much trouble to let her have her own way.
Actually, I sometimes see her at the bottom of the stairs, but she's just waiting for me, and runs back up as soon as she sees me, only stopping to wait when I take too long!

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 23:11:14 PM »
Well it seems to be working. Nice photo of Clio on windowsill.
Julie.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 23:29:33 PM »
She is, but she's grown used to being allowed upstairs, so it'll take some time to get her used to staying downstairs.
It's not too much of a problem though. The main reason for keeping the cats downstairs is that when they run up and down, it sounds like a thunderstorm! Bramble and Lily would chase each other up and down the stairs all day and night, given the chance, but Clio isn't so noisy. It's a bit of a nuisance, with the food and water, and the litter tray, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.
I don't even mind getting cramps from having Clio lie on me when I'm asleep!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 22:44:33 PM »
She is coming on very quickly  ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 16:44:59 PM »
I usually leave the back door open so the cats can come and go as they please. As I don't want Clio to go out just yet, this means I don't bring her downstairs during the day.
Today though, it was a bit chilly, despite the sunshine, and Bramble and Lily didn't see to want to go out, so I shut the door and brought Clio down.
It may be because the other two weren't very active, but Clio stayed downstairs for over two hours, and when she did cry to be let upstairs again, she wasn't panicking at all. Quite an improvement!
She spent most of the time sitting on me, but she did a bit of sunbathing in the window too.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
It sounds as if you have found a solution that works for you Dave :)

My Cleo is around 3.5kg and loves to be carried around. Alfie is more than 7kg and hates being picked up - thankfully!  :briggin:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 01:26:15 AM »
Clio's very light, as is Lily. Bramble is a big lump, and will NOT be picked up without a major battle, so I don't try any more, unless I absolutely have to.

I brought Clio downstairs again this evening, and she lasted an hour before she started crying to be let back upstairs. She wouldn't have lasted that long, but I kicked the other two out of the room for 10 minutes or so. Once Clio had settled down, I let them back in. She wasn't too happy about them being so close, but she tolerated them.
So long as she lets me carry her downstairs without showing any signs of panic, I'll keep doing it, but only in short bursts in the evening, when she can't get outside.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 01:05:50 AM »
The only cat I pick up is Lupin, he is just the right size, the others too big and heavy  :innocent:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 20:31:09 PM »
At least I can pick her up now without her growling and screeching (so long as she can't see another cat!), which I couldn't before.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 20:20:51 PM »
Thats a glare and a half  :evillaugh:

Good luck  ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 20:16:36 PM »
Clio's almost completely better now, I'm just finding the occasional scab.
Now comes the hard work of reintegrating her with the other two. I brought her downstairs about 45 minutes ago, and she lasted about 15 of them before she started crying to go back upstairs. I think she would have lasted longer, but she spotted Lily. In the photo, she's glaring at Lily, but Lily wasn't even doing anything, for once!
This may take a while, but at least she's safe and well, so I won't rush it.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 06:50:32 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Lovely sight.   :)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 23:47:53 PM »
That's good news she is improving.
Julie.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 14:36:58 PM »
Clio's getting better every day, though she still doesn't want to come downstairs, so I'm letting her stay in my bedroom. I make sure the duvet is covering the pillows every time I leave the room...

...but it doesn't stop her co-opting a pillow while I'm asleep! This is what I wake up to every morning:

Bramble forgave me quite quickly, following Lily's lead in begging for food while I was eating my dinner, and taking  some chicken from my hand. Lily, of course, forgot about the Effipro as soon as she saw the food!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »
Well done Dave.   :)  Now all you have to do is inordinate amounts of grovelling to make up for your atrocious effrontery  ;) :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 22:22:11 PM »
...and FINALLY I've managed to get the Effipro on the other two. Lily wasn't too bad, but Bramble was a :censored: nightmare, scarpering whenever she saw me approach. She's looking daggers at me now!
I just hope it was worth it and the Effipro works.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 18:06:41 PM »
My only worry now is that she'll make herself too much at home in my bedroom!  :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 17:41:16 PM »
I'm glad that this is easily fixed and that Clio already seems to be improving  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
Don't worry.  It may take her a few days to regain her confidence, and to ensure all of the fleas have - in her opinion - been eradicated.   :hug:  And yes, Dawn's right.  Easy way to distingush flea poo.  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
if you comb out flea dirt onto white damp kitchen paper it goes red so probably the same

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:51 AM »
Yes, she combed Clio's fur onto some paper, then squirted some liquid onto it which highlighted something or other. I'm not exactly sure what that told her, except that she was sure it was fleas.
I think the treatment has made a difference. Physically, it's hard to tell. I think the swelling around the flea bites has subsided, but I could be imagining that.
But Clio's behaviour has improved. When we came home, she went straight upstairs. I went up to check on her a few times, and to make sure she had food and water, but she showed no interest in coming downstairs. I left her alone for a while then, when I went to go to bed, found her waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She then ran up a few stairs at a time, stopping to make sure I was following!
She's been a bit clingy the last few days, and that's the same, but she's really perked up.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
Have also brushed with flea allergies.  First with my late dad's cat and more recently with one of the gingers we catsit.   Very easy to treat as has been said  :)  Just have to stay on top of it. 

Hoping Clio's sores clear up quickly  :hug: :hug:

I can't remember the last time I saw a flea.  Must be years ago now but I never fool myself they aren't lurkin  :shify: :shify:  Did vet find flea dirt on Clio?

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 23:29:28 PM »
My Gracie had a terrible skin problem when I got her from the cats protection. I didn't want her on steroids so I had her treated by a homeopathic vet. Gracie was chewing herself raw and started to hide in the loft all the time. The vet refused to let me use chemicals on her. He had combed her and said there were no fleas or mites and that is was a stress related problem due to her past. After shelling out £350 and Gracie getting worse and worse and more miserable and hiding more and more. I told the vet I didn't want her treated any more and I was going to frontline her. (That was when frontline used to work years ago.) Almost immediately Gracie became a different cat. The itching and hiding stopped, and all her sores healed up very quickly. I used to have to treat her monthly during the summer. less so in the winter. When frontline stopped working I changed to advantage. I only had to treat her two or three times a year with that. Now (touch wood) she has gone for the third summer without having to treat her at all. I don't know what has happened to the fleas. Only the fact I sadly lost my old dog who maybe brought them into the house. The cats have the run of the enclosed garden. But still no fleas so far.
Julie.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 18:14:34 PM »
Thanks, that's reassuring.
I still haven't seen any fleas. I don't think they'll be a huge problem to get rid of, as I don't have much carpeting in the house. What little I have will be sorted by the Indorex spray, and there's spot-on for the other two cats.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 18:06:27 PM »
So mpleased its something that can be treated easily  ;D ;D

My first cat who walked into my garden was infested in fleas and being new to cats I didnt know until they were jumping round the house. Had been combimg them out and tried shop bought flea stuff which was useless.

She also got allergic to them and had to have flea stuff that stopped any biting her.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 17:57:15 PM »
Glad it was a simple solution Dave.  To be honest, Moray gets "skittish" when we get a flea problem.  He races across the carpet, he seldom sits still and he looks almost "hunted."  I guess with him being long haired it's probably more of a problem - he acts as though the carpets and seating are "biting" him. 

I think Clio will settle once the fleas have stopped biting her. 

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 16:00:12 PM »
No problem getting her into the carrier, though I have to admit I had a backup plan, involving chicken!
We went a lot earlier than I'd wanted to, because the taxis aren't very reliable. If I'd rung at a sensible time, chances are I would have had to wait so long I'd have missed the appointment. Of course, ringing early meant the taxi was there in two minutes. The vet didn't keep us waiting long though, so Clio wasn't cooped up for ages.

After all my speculation, it turned out to be an allergic reaction to fleas. I hadn't even considered that, but in hindsight it should have been one of first things I thought of, even though she wasn't scratching more than usual.

Clio was really good at the vets, though she cried in the taxi all the way there and back. She had two injections without a whimper, and a tablet which she didn't try to spit out, a first for her!

I'm still puzzled by the change in behaviour. Could she be more nervous than usual because she's under the weather?

Link to CatChat