Author Topic: Drum went all wobbly  (Read 2845 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: Drum went all wobbly
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 13:37:16 PM »
Glad to hear that Drum seems to be doing okay. And that a little humour helped to cheer the visit along.
Julie.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 13:26:59 PM »
Thanks everyone. I was worried it was her back legs and connected to the kidney disease, which was why I took her to the vets. But when she was wobbling around at home, it seemed like all four legs were shaking.

Drum is fine today - maybe a little quieter than usual but eating, drinking and having tummy rubs.

The vet examined her quite thoroughly - checked her eyes, limbs, spine, took her temperature and listened to her chest. She didn't take her blood pressure though, or do any tests. (Drum was fine at the surgery and even ate a Dreamie!) Couldn't find anything wrong and said to call over the weekend if the symptoms returned.

Drum had a whole bank of (eye-wateringly expensive) tests a couple of months ago which showed nothing apart from the signs of her CKD (which we've known about since last year).

There was a comedy moment though. My surname is George and this sometimes confuses vets. When the vet was looking at Drum's notes, this confusion kicked in and she said "Now, George is quite an elderly lady, isn't she?" I told her that I was getting on a bit, yes, but not yet elderly. My cat, however, was knocking on a bit. ;D

She was really apologetic.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 13:32:35 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
How's Drum today? Hope there's been no recurrence  :hug:

The eating like a horse thing afterwards could be due to low blood sugar maybe? When Riley has a seizure he is very wobbly afterwards (ataxia) and then inhales food like he hasn't eaten for a week due to the physical seizure activity causing his blood sugar to drop. There could be any number of reasons for low blood sugar though, did the vet do any tests or just examine her?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
CKD can cause back leg weakness so it may be that.  Has she had her blood tested recently?  I agree bp test a good idea if not had one.  Jaffa had episodes like that - one was bad and possible he had had a stroke but not sure as he had high bp.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 00:44:32 AM »
Gill CKD is chronic kidney disease. Yes I agree there should be a vet change by my friend. He thinks he knows it all and his answer for refusing to take the cats temperature or check his ears in case the wobbling was due to infection or inner ear problems, was that he'd seen the cat a few months ago and if it was infection, then the cat would have been dead by now. So why waste his time checking him. Makes my blood boil what some of these vets are like. And why prescribe steroids when there isn't a diagnosis apart from old age.
Julie.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 00:25:15 AM »
This is not good vet care Julie and would advise a change of vet!

Pleased Drum seems OK now and hope she stays well.......What is CKD, sure I know but cant remember  :Crazy:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 23:39:13 PM »
Didn't the vet tell you what the problem was with Drum. Did he examine her? My friend has just taken her 14 year old Burmese to the vet as he had become a bit wobbly and was vomiting. I told her to get the vet to check his heart,  temp, ears, and blood pressure. And bloods for all the usual plus thiamine deficiency, and thyroid function and diabetes.Would he do it, no, just took bloods, said the kidneys and liver were okay and it was a waste of time taking his temp etc. He then put him on prednisolone. Then charged a fortune as usual. No diagnosis, apart from being an old cat. Obviously not worth bothering about as he's not insured so he can't run up a massive bill for scans etc. Sorry, but most vets make me so cross. Glad that drum appears okay again.
Julie.

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 22:44:32 PM »
Has Drum had her blood pressure checked?  My girl with CKD, and my friend's cat with CKD both had episodes like this and it was down to high blood pressure, which is often associated with CKD.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Drum went all wobbly
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 21:29:03 PM »
When I got home from work today, Drum was in a bit of a state. She was very subdued and when she moved, she was unsteady and wobbling - like she'd had an anaesthetic.

Took her to the vet, and of course the little  :censored: was perfectly okay by then!

Normally I would have waited a while to see if she got better on her own, but with her CKD I didn't want to risk it.

She's fine now - in fact, when she got home she ate about three times as much as usual!

What could it have been?

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Link to CatChat