Author Topic: Cat Food Buyers Anonymous?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline OwnedbyHugo

• Kitten
    • Indoor Paws
  • Slave to: Hugo
Re: Cat Food Buyers Anonymous?
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 21:02:43 PM »
I feed a mix of wet food and raw (organs etc), I would never feed dry again and certainly wouldn't feed an all fish diet. Cats can't get the right proteins from fish, fish in a dry food only diet is a recipe for disaster!

https://indoorpaws.com/blog/indoor-cat-food-providing-your-cat-with-the-best-diet-possible/
Owned By An Oriental, Hugo
Owner of http://www.indoorpaws.com

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 13:25:57 PM »
catz finefoods sell a fishy variety.  I've not tried that brand on Kito yet and it's had a mixed reception with Mosi - he likes the chicken and tuna but didn't seem to fond of the other flavours (I bought a mixed pack of tins).  I've had some pouches which have gone down better with him.  They do a herring and crab flavour in both tins and pouches I think. 

I am trying to avoid giving Kito too much fish no matter how much he loves it as I don't believe it's good for them to have fish all the time.  Fortunately he loves other stuff too so I save the fishy foods for special treats (ok, so he has more special treats than the average cat  :innocent:)

I've not bought a lot of fishy food because Mosi isn't keen so now I am experimenting a bit with Kito.  fresh coley for him tonight  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 23:39:22 PM »
Off to bed now so not got time to think about zooplus, but fishy wise have you tried Wainrights pouches?  can get them from PAH.  I bought some fishy ones for Kito and he devoured it in record time.  They were kitten pouches but I'd guess that if they do fish ones in kitten they will do them in big boy variety too.

HKC don't do much fishy food.  They do Macs in salmon and chicken but I don't think they do anything just fish.  I have actually bought some of the Macs pouches in Herring etc for Kito to try but the pouches are expensive so just for treats.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 20:47:53 PM »
Hey Hollycat, have you tried our lovely friends Fish 4 Cats?? Their food was rated most popular by our subscribers last year and they do both wet and dry

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Cat-Shop/fish4cats.aspx

I shall have a look Thank you ;D ;D

Offline CatHampurr

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Kooki & cats throughout the UK!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 20:30:48 PM »
Hey Hollycat, have you tried our lovely friends Fish 4 Cats?? Their food was rated most popular by our subscribers last year and they do both wet and dry

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Cat-Shop/fish4cats.aspx

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 20:31:49 PM by CatHampurr »

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 18:27:03 PM »
Found this. Tell the hoolies they might think about eating less fish.
Julie.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 18:22:59 PM »
Yes they do. Did a search. Hope it's to Hoolies requirements!
Julie.

http://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/search?q=fish

Not a lot of choice is there, Herring & shrimp with carrot & salmon oil, They would soon get fed up with that. The others are meat and fish, not for the hoolies, Just fish cats and meat about once a month. They even turn their noses up at roast chicken now  :(

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 18:12:59 PM »
Yes they do. Did a search. Hope it's to Hoolies requirements!
Julie.

http://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/search?q=fish

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 18:06:40 PM »
Susanne. Just recommended the happy kitty company to my friend who has a diabetic cat. Also she has just come back from the vet with a cat with constipation. She has been trying to follow a raw diet. But she just won't listen to me that they have to have liver as part of the diet. You have to be dedicated to feed raw. And have cats that will eat it. So I thought as she is having problems, the Kitty company food is the next best thing to raw. But is already balanced.
Julie.

But they don't have any fish  :'(

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 16:34:04 PM »
Susanne. Just recommended the happy kitty company to my friend who has a diabetic cat. Also she has just come back from the vet with a cat with constipation. She has been trying to follow a raw diet. But she just won't listen to me that they have to have liver as part of the diet. You have to be dedicated to feed raw. And have cats that will eat it. So I thought as she is having problems, the Kitty company food is the next best thing to raw. But is already balanced.
Julie.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 16:23:01 PM »

Now then Susanne. As the Queen of cat food  :rofl: I need some advice. I want to try the hoolies on something else. They prefer fish to meat. They do not like Sheba, Almo nature, applaws, cosma or gourmet.
I will be ordering from Zooplus next week as they have sent me a voucher, so please can you recommend some wet food for them. They are ok with dry they will eat anything except Iams.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 17:44:54 PM »
I haven't heard of any of those!  :Crazy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 13:12:11 PM »
I am now awaiting a delivery from Happy Kitty Co.  I thought I was nearly out of Macs and since I didn't need anything from zooplus this month I thought I'd do a Happy Kitty Co order.  Then I found more tins of Macs in the cupboard than I thought were there  :innocent:  And of course the more you order from them the cheaper the postage.... so I have a substantial order arriving this week and no idea where I'm going to put it all  :rofl:  Still, we really are out of grantapet.  I think  ;)  I picked up a few  :innocent: tins of Ziwipeak and Canagan when I was at a garden centre that sells them the other week.   Apart from that I've been pretty good.

Good job tinned food has a long shelf life, isn't it?!

Offline CatHampurr

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »
Thank you Susanne, we've already worked with The Happy Kitty Company so we'll speak to them about getting Macs in the Hampurrs too. Anything else?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Mac beef with chicken hearts went down very well this morning.  Mosi has always like Macs and Kito seems pretty keen too.  That's good as Mac's is one of my "bread and butter" foods.  I am expecting to get home tonight to find he has exploded given how much he stuffed down himself this morning!  It's min 70% meat.

http://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/collections/cat-food/products/macs-beef-with-chicken-hearts-400g-new

Offline CatHampurr

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
HeHe, sorry Susanne!  :hug:

We'd love you to give us ideas though, if you recommend any of the food and it meets out criteria let us know!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 01:06:39 AM »
I have bought some more food today  :-[  Not a different brand but Sainsburys had Encore on special offer so I had to get some, didn't I?  That stuff is expensive and only for occasional feeds anyway as it's not complete but Kito loves it and Mosi is pretty keen too.  So good to stock up  ;D

CatHampurr - stop giving me ideas!  ;)  I do actually have some natures menu now as I bought some at PAH on Saturday  :-[

Offline CatHampurr

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 21:21:56 PM »
Wow that's amazing Susanne!

Even we can't say we've included *that* many different brands in Cat Hampurrs over the last 13 months. Although we did find a few not on your list (Sorry, we're probably not helping!!)

Natures Menu
Fish 4 Cats
Eden (dry)
Forthglade
Happy cat (dry)

We'd actually be really interested in any foods you all would recommend as something we can feature in the coming boxes. We generally look for foods (wet and dry) with high meat content 70%+, no grains and other nasties. We're always on the look out for new products to delight our subscribers so any input would be very well received.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 19:51:26 PM »
Julie, you would have more luck taking food from Cleo than Alfie. Alf bolts hid down in moments, Cleo fluffs around for ages!

I'll try grannycat Cleo then. LOL.
Julie.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 19:33:28 PM »
Julie, you would have more luck taking food from Cleo than Alfie. Alf bolts hid down in moments, Cleo fluffs around for ages!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 19:25:11 PM »
Calm down Susanne, you really don't have to buy so many brands, although I do admit to buying Hi-Life tuna when I see it. :-:, for a mere £500.00 per hour I will give you the counselling you need :rofl:, probably cheaper than the cat food :naughty:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 18:55:59 PM »
I can see that I am out on my own here with the variety I have!  Please someone come along and tell me I am not alone!  I can't help myself!  Even if they are happy on a few brands I have to buy stuff if I see something I've not bought before.  I have to let them try EVERYTHING that is out there.  They don't give a toss but I want them to try it all (I do stick to grain free mostly although 1 or 2 have a little bit of rice in them).  I think it's for me more than for them of course  :innocent:  I love planning their meals and sometimes it takes me ages to decide what to give them.  They are in the kitchen mithering for food and I'm there trying to decide what to give them!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 18:47:03 PM »
You lot put me to shame. My three get FAGAIL,  they like the Go-Cat munchy biscuits and, of course Dreamies and other assorted treats, they are very fond of the 'stick' type treats from Tesco.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 17:58:45 PM »
well yesterday I stacked everything very neatly in the cupboard but of course I can't see what's at the back.  Today for tea I knew there was a particular tin of fishy Applaws I wanted to give Kito but I couldn't find it.  Had to take loads of stuff out and then I saw it but as I took it out I knocked some stuff over.  I've got things back in but my neat little towers of cans now look like eaning towers of Pisa.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 07:03:16 AM »
I get through about 45 kilos a month. Which is why I have to have so much in the freezer. I mainly bulk buy online so it's delivered.
Julie.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 23:33:26 PM »
Julie, how many kilos of raw do you use in a month with 6 mouths to feed??
As for lists of food, we have
WET
Felix
Sheba
Cosma nature
DRY
Pro plan
Harringtons (all refuse to eat - this week)
Fish 4 cats (again, all 4 refuse to eat)
Applaws chicken dry (only Teddy will eat).
Treats are my downfall
Dreamies
Anti hairball whiskas treats
Webbox
Catessy sticks
Smilla toothies (currently the favourite of all 4)
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 22:27:39 PM »
Well I can't compete with the amount of different packets, tins and pouches. I don't have any. Apart from a few tins of tuna for an emergency. But I can confess to bulk buying frozen. The just in case I run out, or the delivery can't get here etc. I have 40 kilos of raw in the freezer, and another delivery of 20 kilos coming Thursday. I'm in big trouble if the freezer breaks down. I'll be borrowing Alfie's rations. I don't think granny cat would share.
Julie.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 20:16:16 PM »
I thought I was bad but actually in comparison to Susanne I feel I'm not doing too badly. I really get obsessive researching cat food and looking at different makes online but as my two seem happy at the moment I don't actually buy that much.

If you have pet food that you don't want don't forget as well as rescues, most food banks need pet food.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 16:25:20 PM »
Are you safe to go into PAH without a minder?  :rofl:

Clearly not.  I was very restrained but I did come out with  more than dry cat food and litter  :innocent:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 15:08:41 PM »
Are you safe to go into PAH without a minder?  :rofl:

I'm afraid my list is very short -

NNH raw in freezer
Open box of Felix, Alfie has about a dozen of these in his 'puzzle feeder' for supper.

Please don't tell mine of the choice others get...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 13:44:05 PM »
I am going to pets at home now.  I got so carried away ordering wet food from zooplus I  forgot to order some kitten dry food.  Plus I'm running low on litter.  I do have most of the odd cans and trays I tend to buy from there but I know I won't be able to resist a look just in case there's something I've not bought before.   I must not buy any more food.  Must not.  Will not.  I have no cupboard room, apart from anything else.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »
My goodness never heard of most of those Susanne  :rofl:

As Rosella says, at least you have recognized your problem   :evillaugh:

I buy two sorts of dry Pro Plan fish........big cats
and Purina One Fish.......Lupin

Wet currently is Felix Fish pouches, Sheba?  ocean fish pate for Misas metacam and Sasa from a 1000 paces, Sheba chicken slices in jelly, Sheba chicken pieces in gravy.........Lupin, Sheba? duck and chicken casserole and turkey? and liver casserole.

Have chucked all the old cat food out and try not to think about the waste of money  :Crazy:

I do have a number of small bags of dry food that were to try for Lupin but once he started nibbling the purina havent opened them. He did try IAMS but Purina went down better and on the whole stays down!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »

Wow  :Crazy:  :rofl: :rofl: Now I have tried every single one of those and the only one they will eat and leave a clean plate is FGAIL.
My weakness is dry food they have

Purina one chicken 3kg X 2
Purina one salmon1.5 kgx 4
James Wellbeloved turkey 4kg
Proplan 1.5kg x2
Royal Canin exigent 35/30 2kg x 2
Go Cat crunchy and tender  800g and 375g x6
Hills

They will not eat Iams. The problem is if I see any of these foods on offer I have to buy them. They seem to prefer anything made by Purina especially wet food.
I think we all need help Susanne, being cat slaves we are all mad  :rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
Just found some Canagans tins  :-[

For the record, I do have just the 2 cats......  ;D

ETA Just realised I have some Smilla too.  Thought I'd used up the last can of that the other day but have found another 2 cans in the cupboard.  Will edit original list to add those!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:12:23 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »
Well you've taken the first step and acknowledged your problem  :evillaugh:

That is some list Susanne! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Cat Food Buyers Anonymous?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Is there a group for people addicted to buying cat food?  If there is I think I should join  :-[ ;)  Or maybe a group for spoilt cats who have too many food choices? 

I have just taken delivery of another order from Zooplus.  Mosi was getting low on his favourite pate so I wanted some more of that plus I wanted to try a few different flavours now that I know Kito is a fish lover.  I've just spent some time trying to re-arrange the cat cupboard so as to get it all in and have had to surrender a second cupboard (this is all apart from the big cupboard where I bung boxes of stuff).  Anyway, I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed about the number of brands I have in the cupboard.  It's raining outside so I've made a list and here is what I have to offer my pampered boys.  I have several flavours for most brands.  In addition to the wet cat food I have some frozen raw in the freezer.

Bozita tins
Bozita cartons
Animonda Carny Adult
Animonda Carny Kitten
Om Nom Nom
Almo Nature Green label
Almo Nature daily menu
Animonda vom feinstem foil trays
Lily's kitchen canned
Lily's kitchen foil trays adult
Lily's kitchen foil trays kitten
Taste of the wild tins
Macs
Grau
Granatapet
Miamor pate
Wainrights trays adult
Wainrights trays kitten
Ziwipeak
Applaws adult
Applaws kitten
Encore adult
Encore kitten
Meowing heads trays
Sheba classic terrine
Sheba Finesse pate
Hi Life tempt me kitten pouches
Hi life indulge me adult pouches
Catz Finefoods
Tesco classic selection pate
FGAIL
Miamor Mild kitten foil trays
Thrive complete adult
Thrive complete kitten
Feline Fayre
Canagan
Smilla

They have dry food on top of this (only 1 brand there - Applaws) and I'm sure there are some Sheba pouches lurking somewhere that I bought for Jaffa.  No doubt some stuff in the big cupboard also that I've forgotten about and odd pouches and trays lurking in forgotten corners.  Do you think I need help?  Do I need to embark on a cat food buying amnesty?  Should I open up a store?  Or do I just need a self help group?

My name is Susanne and I am addicted to buying cat food.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:12:00 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat