Author Topic: Animal Charities  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
Re: Animal Charities
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »
Jiji - may need to look into Peta and the reasons why not. I haven't given them any money yet

Gill - Spana help sick and injured working animals from other countries where they are overworked.

cascats - I've found giving local is best, hence Ferne. I also donate to another local charity that is for humans.

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Tiffy Toffie (aka Tiffany), Lexicle (aka Lexi)
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 00:24:06 AM »
Personally, I have stopped giving to National Animal charities. What I can donate goes to local ones who I can see doing a good job. In my case its mainly Sunny Harbour. If abroad (inreasingly rare now

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 21:25:51 PM »
Nor me and havent heard of Spana

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 20:29:19 PM »
Peta are not an organisation I would give a penny to.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 17:04:43 PM »
That's terrible. You really don't know who to trust these days. Excuse the pun, but you really need to vet everyone.

I think i'm sticking to Ferne for now - Peta and Spana seem good to me too.

After work today I was approached in the street by a guy from a Dogs Trust stand. I told him I had my choice of charities and when he asked which, he was a little surprised I genuinely had a list to reel off. He wasn't impressed I chose Ferne over Dogs Trust though and tried to make me add the Dogs Trust but I said no thanks i'd need to research and carried on walking.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 17:17:36 PM »
My one bad experience was some years back when I lived in a small town some miles away. I got to know a woman who took in animals for the RSPCA, and a friend of hers who took in birds. Both were always claiming to be really poor because according to them the money the RSPCA gave them wasn't enough. I gave them every penny I could spare. Even working extra shifts at work so as to be able to give them more. What a mug I was. One week I got the local paper and on the front page was these two women. Both of them thrown out of the RSPCA for fraud. One had sold a pony she was supposed to be fostering that the RSPCA was still paying for rent and food etc. Cats and dogs she had made out were rescues were in fact hers, or made up ones that she was claiming money for food bills for. And the one that was supposed to be rescuing birds was in fact doing no such thing, but breeding and selling birds and giving the RSPCA the bills claiming they were rescued birds. So I am very careful now which "GOOD CAUSES" I support now.
Julie.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 17:07:10 PM »
That's sad but at least they were honest rather than letting you think she was still alive and kept taking your money for her sponsorship.

The animals are cared for really well and it's horrible to think that other centres are not as good.

You have to be careful who you give money too, hence my asking really of peoples experiences. Heard lots of bad stories.

I sponsored a very wild feral called Flora. It was lovely being able to go and actually see her. Be it from a distance. But the last time I went she didn't look right, and soon after I got a letter letting me know she had died. Every time I went I was impressed with the cleanliness of the place. All animals looked well cared for. Sadly I have no car now and am unable to get there any more. I have in the past visited several so called animal rescue centres. Not all are as good as Ferne.
Julie.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 15:17:22 PM »
I sponsored a very wild feral called Flora. It was lovely being able to go and actually see her. Be it from a distance. But the last time I went she didn't look right, and soon after I got a letter letting me know she had died. Every time I went I was impressed with the cleanliness of the place. All animals looked well cared for. Sadly I have no car now and am unable to get there any more. I have in the past visited several so called animal rescue centres. Not all are as good as Ferne.
Julie.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 15:10:13 PM »
Yes it's a great place and ever so cheap for a day out for families.

I remember going there when I was a youngster back in the late 80's - early 90's.

I've visited Ferne animal sanctuary several times. I think they are a good one to donate to. I like their policies, and the way they care for animals. I like their history also of the way the place was started.
Julie.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 00:47:38 AM »
I've visited Ferne animal sanctuary several times. I think they are a good one to donate to. I like their policies, and the way they care for animals. I like their history also of the way the place was started.
Julie.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 21:51:36 PM »
Thanks Gill and Bungly.

I've donated/sponsored with Ferne already. I'm sceptical about my local Cats Protection etc as they are a prickly bunch.

Internationally i've thought about Spana.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
I tend to see if they have an Amazon wish list and then send them things on there directly to them, then I know it's for the cats .

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 23:28:59 PM »
As far as I know you donate direct to a rescue or branch of the ..........ie CPL or RSPCA but be sure you know what that rescue does, ie no kill, keep animals in good conditions and look after their health.

Do not assume that all are no kill as not all are.

If you donate to a main organisation like RSPCA or CPL then it doesnt go to the actual rescues looking after the animals.

Many of the Branches are desperate for donations as are local independent rescues.

Do your homework, ask questions and visit if you can

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
Animal Charities
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 21:56:33 PM »
I'm hoping this is the right place to put it...

I'm looking for peoples experiences really.

I've just started sponsoring animals at a local (ish) animal centre - http://www.ferneanimalsanctuary.org/

I was just wondering if anyone has any good reviews on good animal charities where my money would help more animals than CEO's etc. I've heard lots of bad things on RSPCA etc.

Does/has anybody donate(d) to animal charities here or are aware of good charities which really do benefit the animals or suggest any to avoid?

Many thanks.

Link to CatChat