Author Topic: khaleesi is coming home!  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: khaleesi is coming home!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 16:08:35 PM »
 :evillaugh:  quite right.   ;)

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Khaleesi
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 16:06:40 PM »
The other half will be taking her for her spayed and chipped and needles.. It's his job mines to cuddle  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 14:17:10 PM »
OMG she is gorgeous and just love torties  ;D ;D

When she is spayed  please also get her chipped for the same reason , they will do both at same time so chip is done whilke she is out.

Mine were chipped when they were 11 weeks old, by the rescue, poor things. That needle is huge  :shocked:

It is, isn't it?    :shocked:  All of ours have been chuipped when they were in for neutering for that very reason. 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 14:14:17 PM »

When she is spayed  please also get her chipped for the same reason , they will do both at same time so chip is done whilke she is out.

Mine were chipped when they were 11 weeks old, by the rescue, poor things. That needle is huge  :shocked:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 14:00:46 PM »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 13:44:18 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  There is NOTHING better in life than having special snoozles with yer titten-tat, regardless what age they are.  When it's you and them, life is sweet.   :Luv:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 13:43:45 PM »

Yes I think it does, is that all I have to do resize it? Lol

Yep. ;D Max size per pci is 350kb  have fun

Attach:   (more attachments)Allowed file types: pdf, jpg, gif, jpeg,
 Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 1200KB, maximum individual size 350KB

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 13:39:06 PM »
Mind she's NEVER in her cage lmao, last night she came to our room and slept on the floor on a few blankets bless her, today she's right beside me on the sofa fast asleep after her 'naughty' hour..

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 13:29:58 PM »
Yes I think it does, is that all I have to do resize it? Lol

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 13:26:29 PM »

Lovely pics. She is adorable  :Luv2:

Do Kindles run Android?
If they do try this Image resizer app. I use it and it is very good and quick.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.valsior.resizer

You will have to search the Apple app store if you have an iPhone  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 13:29:48 PM by hollycat »

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 13:14:54 PM »
I will put piccies up when they actually work! Lol my friend that gave me khaleesi recommended a rescue she used for one of her cats :) think it might have been that one tbh.. Think khaleesi would annoy the poor thing lol I've asked a few vets and the minimum age is 6 months old.. I'm getting her spayed even tho she's staying indoors just incase she does actually some how get out

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 13:01:16 PM »
she is lovely!  do ask your vet how early they will spay her, even if she is indoor only there are health benefits for the cats and mental health benefits for the humans when cats have been neutered!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »

Am chuckling, because in the first piccies, the plug on the floor is almost as big as she is.   :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »
 :evillaugh:   Sounds like the fun has already begun.  Isn't it adorable when they tire themselves out and fall asleep on you?    :Luv:

Aw - piccies.....   (I cant do the piccie posting thing very well.  I use a tiny pics programme another Purrs member recommended, but it's a bit of a palaver at times  :evillaugh:)

In terms of if you do decide to get her a companion, there's a rescue in the west end of Newcastle called The Westgate Ark, and they often have kittens and young cats looking for great Forever homes.

http://www.westgateark.org.uk/

We got Moray from them, and he's an absolute joy (not that Tinky thought so when we first brought him home, but hey, that's history - they love each other now)

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »
Relaxing bless her

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »
Apparently my phones camera is too big memory wise or something to upload pictures :( so I'll upload pictures when I have the kindle or find my camera

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
Honestly think I've lost weight chasing her about making sure she stays out of trouble, she has us all wrapped around her finger!! Well paws! She loves playing with her pink mouse, fell asleep on me earlier while I scratched her ears..we have restricted her to one room lol for now.. She's definitely indoors only cat.. Hopefully will get her a companion in the future..

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »

Very happy Khaleesi is home  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »
 :wow: :wow:   Oooooo I see she's arrived home!   How's she settling in? 

I think the crate's an excellent idea while she's getting used to her new surroundings, as it gives her a place she will learn is her own if she wants to beat a retreat. 

And I agree - kittens can get into the tiniest of places, so double check everything, and get all family members to remember to put the lid down on the toilet seat and/or keep the bathroom door closed.  Likewise, make sure the door to the washing machine and/or tumble drier is always kept shut when not in use.   :shify:

I would say that kittens are best kept inside until after they've been neutered too, but I think Emma is planning on Khaleesi being an indoors only cat because of her surroundings.  (If I'd have been able to keep ours as indoor only, I certainly would have!)

One's a great start, especially when you aren't used to kkittens and their wily ways  :sneaky: but I think if you do decide to get her a companion of her own kind, I'd do it sooner, ratehr than later.  Cats can get very set in their ways, and find it harder to adjust to sharing space and territory as they get older.

But for now - can't wait to hear how you're getting on, and to see  piccies.     :wow: :pic:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:34 AM »
Just read that link and, whilst it is very good at most stuff, I have never let any of ours outside until after they were spayed  :scared:

Link suggests it's OK for her to go outside after 2nd vaccination.   I'd recommend keeping her in until she has been spayed; usually around 6 months old but some vets do younger.  Last thing you want is her coming home pregnant;  Just thought, Khaleesi may be indoor only?

In any event how was her first night?  :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Quote from advice given in link I posted .....

"If you happen to have, or can borrow, a large pen (a kittening pen or the type of metal pen used to hold dogs securely in the back of a car) this is ideal for providing a safe den for the kitten and can hold its litter tray and bed"

I understand your concern HC but think a dog crate may be a welcome refuge for young Khaleesi if she feels overwhelmed initially.  It would certainly be a different matter if the idea was to use it long term but it isn't  :)

:welcome: to your new home young 'un.  Tell your ma to make sure she posts lots of pics of ya :)

I thought she was going to be 10 weeks Emma?  Always feel 8 weeks is rather young although I know it's commonly done.  I prefer 12 weeks which gives mom time to teach young un a little more discipline.  Always prefer to have more than one also to provide company but one's a start  :)  She'll be just fine no doubt.  Do read the link; forewarned is forearmed and you will worry less if you know what to watch out for to protect her. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:24 AM »
 :welcome: home little one, you are gonna have a wonderful home  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 22:20:10 PM »
Welcome home Khaleesi!  ;D

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 22:18:29 PM »
Shes home! Figured two days wouldn't harm! She's fully weaned but got kitten milk for her as a treat settled in brilliantly..

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 19:20:39 PM »
I know I'm being over protective but she's my first pet cats..ever.. I've already fallen inlove with her and I'd rather be safe then sorry, I think the bars are small enough..I hope! Lol she's very mischievous already! Lol our boiler is up very high with no access point so hopefully she won't find a way lol

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 19:10:39 PM »
I think you are being sensible but if she is really small make sure she cant get thgrough the bars of the cage!

I have a huge black and white who came from a rescue and was 4 years old when he arrived so big and he used to pull himself under the recliner until he goy settled, its very small point for entry, about3 inches max!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behind boilers is another hiding place grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 17:00:33 PM »
Well my house is HUGE and khaleesi is tiny for being 8 weeks, I'm very nervous of her harming herself when I'm not around, when she's been here a while then yeah I'll not lock the cage when I'm out but for now when I'm out and no one else is in I'm afraid the cage will be locked. I just feel it's safer for her.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 15:16:35 PM »
I had a cage for mine when I fostered them, their Mum and two siblings. It's what the rescue recommended. I didn't have a spare room as only a one bedroom flat. The cage was for their benefit and had the door closed with the blanket over the top for a couple of days as their Mum was very nervous. After that I opened the door and she was free to come and go but she used the cage as her retreat. The kittens were only 2 weeks old so needed to stay in the cage unless I was around. They soon learnt to climb out and were into everything.

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 14:32:15 PM »
It's so that when I am out the house for long periods she does not totally destroy the house or harm herself or get stuck, I don't mind other people thinking they think it's wrong everyone will have their opinion, everyone will treat their animals different I'm not saying I'm gona lock her up all day or all night it's just when no one is in to make sure she is alright I worry too much if she's in the cage I won't have to worry.. Might not make sense to some people but it does to me and I know people that do put them in cages when they are out for this reason

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 13:50:48 PM »

I have a question. It is not directed specifically at you Emma but open for discussion  ;D

I can understand using a cage if introducing a new cat/kitten to another cat, but if your cat/kitten is the only one, why would you need a cage and why would you need/want to lock a cat/kitten inside?
I find the thought of this quite disturbing and in my opinion there is no need

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 13:30:14 PM »
On a day time when I'm at work she will be in the cage max 2 hours any other time the cage will be open for her to come and go when she pleases, if it was up to me shed never be in the cage but can never be too safe! Or chimney is a blocked one anyways luckily as its an electric fire alarm I'll be reading that link today! Lol I honestly doubt she'll need the water bottle tbh I think it'll be a comfort thing for her at first, our house is normally warm tbh as I'm a pain for the cold hate it lol

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
She means her claws ............  :evillaugh: 

Always so exciting when newbies are on their way but I can imagine sooo much more so for the initial newbie.  I can't remember; as for me that would have been over 50 years ago  :innocent:

Best of luck.  I wonder how long she will be in the cage?  I can imagine you whisking her out if she so much as looks in your direction  :)

Don't we have a link to advice for settling in newbies?  Here we go.  Some useful stuff here.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html

I found the most expensively destructive thing kittens do is chew wires when they are teething  :oh noo:  and the most alarming is disappearing up chimneys :hairrasin:  Block any chimneys before she arrives or she'll be up em like a shot ....

Enjoy.  She is a beauty  :blow kiss:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Emma, have you seen the 'self heating' pet pads you can buy?  Just in case her class get the better of the hot water bottle?  Mind you, if she will be allowed on the bed, I suspect that's where she may choose to snuggle.  :evillaugh:

Just two more sleeps.....   ;)  Not long now.

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 21:53:11 PM »
I've bought her a huge blanket data completely cover the bottom of the cage, and I also have a huge blanket I use that I could put over her cage think it's a king size thin ish blanket I'll be putting cardboard in to work as a devide as her food bowls will be hanging off the side so don't want her litter going in it.. But I'm also going to put a warm water bottle in for her because she's used to having another category with her :(
Can't wait to see her tomorrow and bring her home Tuesday

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 21:28:33 PM »
Oh how lovely, I'm so excited for you!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 21:23:18 PM »
She is gorgeous  ;D

make sure the floor under the cage is not cold, if it is you need to put loads of  newspaper and / or cardboard under the cage and a litter tray  inside until she finds everything and another tip is to put a towel over the top of cage and say two or 3 sides so its a real retreet.

Enjoy her  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 19:13:49 PM »
I think I've kitten proofed everywhere but no doubt she'll find somewhere! Lol I'm gona make a sort of cave in 2 corners with her favourite toys :) I've got my supply of cat milk on in for her which she actually drinks every other day she switches from water to milk atm bless her, my friend is giving me a pack of the food she's on as it's apparently some very expensive stuff that she got on an excellent offer! She loves playing with the OH's show laces wen we visit so hopefully that won't be a problem but I will try it thank you! :D visiting her tomorrow before I bring her home..

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 18:30:29 PM »
Find out what food she has been given, as it's best to carry on with the same food and gradually change it, if you want to give her something different. Mine drank cat milk for a while after they left their Mum. I think it helped them adjust to not having milk from their Mum.

One thing I noticed with my two is they hated my OH clomping around in his shoes. They were fine with me. So could be worth getting the males in the family to take their shoes off!   

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 14:07:15 PM »

I am so happy for you Emma. Let the games begin :rofl:

Another thing I would do is kitten proof your house. Block gaps behind cupboards, sofa's etc, places you would have to demolish the house in order to get her if she gets stuck. Also tidy up any cables that she might  chew on especially dangling ones. Leave one or two under chairs for her to hide if she wants, easy to get to places for you.

Other than that enjoy the havoc about to descend upon you  :rofl:

Offline KhaleesIandEmma

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 13:04:53 PM »
I'm so excited, I bought her a dog cage that she can retreat to with everything she needs in it she doesn't like cat beds! Lol she likes sleepin in boxes with a blanket and warm bottles when her mother isn't around bless her! I'm leaving my bedroom door open at all times (which will be safe for her she can even climb on the bed if she wants, she'll be the princess of the house.. Hopefully she will still love her cuddles :D

Link to CatChat