Author Topic: Cat Food alternatives  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat Food alternatives
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 18:15:58 PM »
LOL yes they are so expensive

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 18:03:21 PM »
She is beginning to eat the wet food. I think I will look at getting the Royal Canin as well for her - she does like variety.  I'll give her some applaws or something else with high meat content as well for a change.

I'm glad that it is Struvite as well Gill so hopefully the diet change will help her.  Robbie loves the food - but at £8 for 12 sachets there is no way he is having it as well unless he needs it :D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 14:21:51 PM »
I think you are lucky its struvite crystals cos at least athey will be desolved cos napoleon had some that were not Struvite and could not be dissolved.

Lupin had a Royal canin food for something else and he liked it and it helped solve his problem.

Is the one you need really on prescription, never heard of that before

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

Royal Canin urinary . It is prescription but can get online.
It works very well. My last cat Tigger had cystitis FLUTD he started on hills as prescribed by the PDSA then was changed to Royal Canin. Never had any problems with crystals in his pee again.

The vet only prescribed hills because that's what they stock.

Both Hills and Royal Canin are very good and do the job
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:00:37 PM by hollycat »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 22:13:30 PM »
I believe that a high protein diet helps prevent struvite crystals.It might be worth looking into feeding raw?

ps Try this site -

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/crystals-raw-diets-and-water
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 22:16:12 PM by Slugsta »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 19:48:52 PM »
our old cat bluto was on the prescription diet for struvite stones for a few years, he eventually went off it and had to go back on to felix or starve it was called Waltham in those days, could you give a mixture do you think?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Cat Food alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 18:48:13 PM »
Sky has just had her crystal results back (in a nutshell, she had operation for bladder stones) and they have come back as Struvite and she needs to go on a special diet.  Now the cynic in me thinks that the analysis was done by Hills so it would surely be Hills food they would be pushing.....she has been put on Hills c/d urinary tract food.   Or she will be when she realises it is that or nothing.

Normally she gets a mix of Felix/Sheba and Applaws a couple of times a week.  She has a predominantly wet diet.

I don't just want to put her on Hills though without proper consideration of other alternatives.  The Hills stuff does apparently work in stopping the crystals reforming but I'm not convinced that there isn't something that is better quality that would do the job just as well.  Meatwise the wet is a better food than the felix or sheba.  As of yet she isn't loving it - Robbie adored it!

Anyone any thoughts or ideas for a different type to try?  There seems to be some uncertainty on the sites I have read as to what causes them to form.  I don't want her to go through that again so will leave her on Hills if that is the best option for her - who knows, she may lose weight as she won't want to eat as much! :D

Link to CatChat