Author Topic: Help with Baileys Hyperthyroidism  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Re: Help with Baileys Hyperthyroidism
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks Sheilarose. He was definitely a bit better last night and this morning, although still not fully able to use his back legs.
Will be interesting to see how he is this evening as yesterdays injection will have worn off by then.
If we can confirm its arthritis that’s less of a worry about it being something more serious.
Now we just need to find a new dose that works for his thyroid, without turning him into a zombie. I have only just found out that the felimazole is now available in 1.25mg tablets so I’ll be speaking to my vet about that.
At least that would allow us to increase it more gradually.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »
Beau is having similar issues although he's only been on Felimazole for a  few months, his weight dropped suddenly by Half a. Kilo, which my vet said would probably explain his weak teetering gait. Beaus T4 is now stable at 5mgs daily split over two doses, and his kidneys are doing Ok considering he us 16 years old with an unfortunate history of Metacam overuse earlier in his liife (the reason I dumped my last vet!)

I've been advised to feed Beau up with AD food for a couple of days, and use Metacam if, and only if, he seems to fe in discomfort, however it am a great believer in Metacam for short term relief, if it seems to help your boy it might be an indicator that his weakness is arthritis pain related rather than anything more complicated, and I would therefore be comfortable to follow your vets advice for a week and see what happens.

Do be sure to feed him before you dose the Metacam , or drop it in his food if he will take it that way.  :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 18:49:43 PM »
Bailey's had full blood panel done every 6 months & his T4 checked every 3 months. His kidneys are in good shape, last panel was in late May - thank goodness, having lost Jake to renal failure in October, I'm always watching for signs of kidney trouble.
I'm just confused as to why his back legs are suddenly so weak. The same thing happened previously when his felimazole dose was increased, which makes me think it's related. Then it went away when we got his dosage right.
He seems a bit better tonight though, so maybe not. If it's the metacam injection helping, then that would mean it is arthritis. Aaarghh! It's so difficult to know. Wish they could talk!
I'm very scared of metacam, as I know it can bring on kidney problems. Really worried about putting him on it for a week.
But it might be the only way to know if this new issue is from arthritis.
Appreciate all & any advice x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 16:20:13 PM »
We have 2 Hyperthyroids Clio feral is on Vitalda 10mg twice a day and Max Hyper T had the op but it grew back and then was on Vitalda for 3 years and it just stopped working and is now on 5mg a day of Felimizole and it is fabulous for him,

Have you tried the thyroid food for him but would get a full panel done just to be safe

Max is 15 and has been Hyper T for 7 years and Clio is 16 and Hyper T for 2 years
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 15:31:20 PM »
did your vet take a blood test to check his kidneys? to be honest, he has been on a pretty high dose of Felimazole for some time now, and it wouldn't be surprising if he has other issues going on

if his kidneys are OK then I would have thought it was worth trying the Metacam
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Hero Cat
Help with Baileys Hyperthyroidism
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 14:42:08 PM »
Bailey is 14, has hyperthyroidism and has been on felimazole for almost 2 years. He can’t have the radio iodine treatment or surgery for a number of reasons.
It took a lot of back & forth to finally find the right dose of medication as too much completely flattens him, but he’s been very stable for the past year on a dose of 7.5mg one day & 10mg the next.
However, his T4 levels have now gone back up and in the past 8 weeks, he’s gone from 10mg per day to 12mg per day and finally to 15mg per day – because his T4 isn’t coming down quickly enough.

Unfortunately, last week, shortly after starting on 15mg per day, we noticed weakness in his back legs and he seems a bit doped up. Just not himself and obviously feeling poorly.

I dropped back to 12.5mg per day but haven’t seen any improvement.

Took him to my vet this morning who says he doesn’t think it’s the dosage, but it may be arthritis. He seemed baffled tbh.
He gave him a metacam injection and has told me to put him on metacam for a week to see if it helps.

But I’m not convinced. This started as soon as we put him on the higher dose and we saw similar problems before when his dose was increased. My gut tells me this is linked to the Hypert in some way – either as a side effect of his condition or the drugs. And i really don't feel right about giving him metacam for a week just to see what happens.

Has anyone else had issues like this with felimazole or hyperT cats?

I’m now just not sure what the right thing to do is! I’m so worried about him and it’s horrible seeing him deteriorate like this when he’s done so well for such a long time.

Link to CatChat