Author Topic: Lucky has Stage 2 Kidney Disease  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Lucky has Stage 2 Kidney Disease
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 17:16:47 PM »
I will pack them up and get them sent to you asap (likely to be Monday) if you pm me your address.

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Lucky has just about forgiven me for leaving her at the vets - although she runs a mile if she thinks I'm going to pick her up!  ;D
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 21:04:02 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both.
Fingers crossed she is Lucky by nature as well as name and has years ahead of her. Chelsea was diagnosed with CRF before a brain tumour took her and as Susanne says Tanya's site is both upbeat and really informative.
I got her renal food from Zooplus after she turned her nose up at the vet prescribed food. I think the brand was Happy Cat.
It had good reviews and she seemed to like it.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 20:15:30 PM »
 :wow: free samples  ;) :hug:  Good idea then you won't be wasting your money. Hope she likes some of them.

Has she forgiven you for leaving her at the Vet yet?  I'm sure she has  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 14:55:14 PM »
Hi Susanne, it would be great to try Lucky on them.  Let me know how much they are and what the postage will be and I will reimburse you.  Thanks so much.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 17:40:04 PM »
sorry I've not replied sooner.

I have the following renal foods:

RC renal pouches - tuna, beef and chicken (chunks in gravy)
Hills kd pouches - chicken (chunks in gravy)
Specific kidney support foil trays - chicken I think but I can't actually see the flavour on the box (pate)
Eukanuba veterinary diet renal tins - chicken (pate)

Not specifically renal but I also have some RC Ageing 12+ pouches (chicken).  I bought these because everything renal seemed to be chunks in gravy or pate and Jaffa preferred chunks in jelly.  These have a pretty low phosphorus level (similar to renal foods) and are in jelly so I thought they might be good to throw into the mix. 

Let me know if you'd like to try any or all of these.  I can send you some samples so that you at least know whether they are things she will eat or just turn her nose up at before buying a whole box.

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
Thanks Mary, hopefully she trundle on for as long as possible.  I really missed her when I had to leave her at the vet's on Monday.  It felt really weird looking at her cushion and not seeing her there and not being next to me on the sofa.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 22:57:15 PM »
Fingers crossed for many happy and healthy years together  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
Thanks for that Susanne, that would be great.  Let me know the cost and I can pay you.  I presume a high protein diet would be raw food?  If so, I'll get down to the supermarket and buy some.  Anything for my little 'bubba-chops'.   ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
not got time to post properly but I have loads of renal food leftover from Jaffa so would be happy to send you some to try.  I have mainly RC pouches but also some Hills pouches and some Eukenuba tins.  I'll check exactly what I have when I get home.

In the earlier stages of CKD it's debatable whether renal food is necessary or beneficial.   A low protein diet is a bit controversial, especially when the disease is in it's early stages, although it is conventional wisdom.  Check out Tanya's crf site.  Some reckon that good quality protein is better than low protein and therefore better to feed good quality meat rather than specific renal food.  Ask about her phosphorus levels - if those are high a low phosphorus food or phosphorus binder may help but they may not be. 

Jaffa had stage 3 renal insufficiency when he was diagnosed but his main problem was very high phosporus levels and very dilute urine which was why he deteriorated so quickly. 

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  Lucky seems to have finally forgiven me for leaving her at the vet all day! She deigned to join me on my bed last night for a five minute stroking session!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
there are lots of people on here who have been through this, it seems that most manage pretty well, hopefully when the figures come back they will reassure you a bit

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 20:42:40 PM »
Sorry to hear this but Lucky could have years  :hug: :hug:

I lost all my late 3 from kidneys, Kocka could not be medicated, napoleon only had one wouking kidney which got very bad while he was in hospital for a month and he totally refused to eat anything. His brother Ducha I lost a year later but was sure he had kidney probs for quite q while but he literally went down in 24 hours and all his weigh frpped off, he wasnt very heavy anyway but was just so sad.

Again totally refused to eat.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 16:54:47 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this. It's early days, so the full picture is not seen yet. Let us hope it is not as bad as it first looks. We all get so scared when we find there is something wrong with one of our cats.
Julie.

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
Lucky has Stage 2 Kidney Disease
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 15:19:10 PM »
I took Lucky to the vets on Friday to have her claws clipped and for her yearly injections. She'd had a nasty 'icky botty' attack that morning, before I went to work. I mentioned this to the vet and also the fact that for the past 2 - 3 weeks or so she had been drinking more water than she normally did.  I thought that it might have been due to the warm weather.  The vet stated that she wanted me to bring Lucky back in for a blood / urine test and to take her blood pressure.

I took Lucky back to the vet yesterday.  It was quite a performance, chasing her round my flat to try and get her into the cat carrier! Especially as the vet said she wasn't to have any breakfast before coming in!

Like I said, I took her to the vets and she said that she wanted to keep Lucky in until the early afternoon. This is because Lucky gets really stressed at the vets (not to mention her Meowmy!), and her blood pressure, therefore, would be unnaturally high if they took it there and then.  It made more sense to let her stay there, as they could also then do her blood and urine test.

The vet rang me at about 2pm to tell me the results of the blood test; she said that it indicated the onset of kidney disease, but that they were still awaiting a urine sample from her.  This would, obviously, back up this prognosis.

At about 5pm the vet rang me again to let me know the results of the urine sample they eventually got.  This confirmed that she has Stage 2 Kidney Disease; the vet said that they had collected enough urine to send it off to a lab to check if she has an infection and to check her protein / creatine levels.  She said that if these come back positive, they can be treated with medication, but that the kidney disease cannot and that I should feed Lucky renal food. I bought some of this from the vet, and if she takes to it, I will look online to see if it's a bit cheaper; I would never, ever put money above Lucky, but I may in future need to take her to have more vet's tests and I will need the extra money for that. This bill alone cost £186.83 but that includes sending the urine to a laboratory and I think even more regular vet's visits will be a priority from now on.

I've had a quick look on a couple of websites about Feline Kidney Disease and they say that one of the symptoms is vomiting foam.  I'd noticed over the last 6 months or so that maybe once or twice a month (to my knowledge - she may have done it more when I've been at work) that she had done this.  I've been kicking myself over this; all the other cats that I've had have never had anything like this.  Tiger and Gypsy just died of old age and never really had any medical issues.  Maybe if I had known, I could have caught it earlier and started the treatment for it.

Anyway, I'm going to make sure that I'm even more observant of Lucky - I'm going to watch her like a hawk! I'll make sure that she has even more loving and affection for however long she has left; hopefully this might be a fair amount of time.  The vet said that she knew quite a few cats that toddled along for quite a while with this.

Sorry for the long post, but you know what it's like when it's your furbaby; you love them so much that you worry about them.

Link to CatChat