Author Topic: Toxoplasmosis  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Toxoplasmosis
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »

Even Big Boys need a cuddle sometimes.....  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2014, 20:22:03 PM »
He was really quite good. Cuddled up between me and Tim which was very nice. Been ages since we've had a proper cuddle so I think all three of us were happy.
We didn't intend to get another cat, so it was nice to have our little man back

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2014, 20:02:44 PM »
Poor Frankie, Misa hates being dried after sitting in the rain and would never attempt to wash him!

Pleased Trixie is doi8ng well again  ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2014, 15:15:00 PM »
Awww, good boy Frankie! So glad to hear that Trixie is doing well  ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
He kind of looks like an evil wolf :p

Me and Tim where ready for a fight but he just sat there. Struggled a bit when he first went in but when he realised we weren't drowning him he took it like a mancat.

Trixie wouldn't leave him alone. She kept licking him and following him around :p

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »
 :evillaugh:   He looks - spikey  :Luv:   Ross used to love being towel dried by Daddy P.  Tinks hates it, although will submit to it.  Moray doesnt mind, although his coat kind of shrugs off water to a greater degree anyway.

Glad to see Trixie was monitoring the proceedings  :)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
Thanks  :hug:

She seems a bit brighter for a sleep. Wolfed her breakfast and didn't fuss too much at the pills and paste.

Trixie opted to sleep in her own bed last night which suits me as she wakes me up in the night trying to nurse.

Had to bathe Frankenstein last night. He had rolled in something and we really had no choice. He was much better behaved than Trixie ever was. Cried when when I rinsed his head but otherwise stood very still. Think he enjoyed the attention tbh. It's been a while since we've had some cuddle time as I've been looking after Trixie. He liked me drying him off and even came into bed and cuddled between me and Tim  :Luv2:

He did look really silly though :p

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:27:54 AM by Sassybot »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2014, 07:30:13 AM »

Wasnt sure what the news would be this morning but cant tell you how pleased I am.  C'mon little Trixie.  You got some growing to do, and some eating to do.....   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 21:03:07 PM »
Eating is great  ;D ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2014, 20:01:04 PM »
Hey sorry just logged on.

Vets was positive. She was impressed with her weight. Looks like she's got a tummy bug (belly is all gassy and squidgy) so she back on the promax so three days. If it doesn't go or her weight keeps dropping she's to go right back.

She's eating like a starving person!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2014, 19:55:55 PM »
hoping no n3ws is good news

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2014, 19:35:31 PM »
Hope that things went well at the vets Sassy.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »

Just got to cross my fingers/toes/eyes that it's just a little bump in the road

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
Just a check then and maybe nothing to worry about, sending loads good vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35:24 AM »
She's got an appointment this afternoon and I've calmed down a bit now :P

I've spoke to Tim and he said he fed her this morning before he went out for his early shift as she was crying for food, which explains why she wouldn't eat anything.

She's also only just started pooping frequently which could account for the weight loss really as it's not a huge amount. Her tummy is quite gurgly so it's possible shes got a bit of an upset tummy from all the different foods she's had.

Frankenstein has been cleaning her and they've been playing though she tires easy.

Guess what she has is very serious so bad days are to be expected. Still going the vets though just for a once over.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
This is not good news and think you do need some professional advice. AS sUE says Kittens go down so fast  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »

Sassybot, I suspect it may be the nature of this illness.  Fully understand why you feel reluctant about consulting the vet again, but the weight loss is something which cant be sustained for too long in a kitten.  :hug:

Sorry if we've asked this before, but I can't recall, Liz mentioned Complivet and to see if you could get some - were you able to do that and if so does Trixie take it or not?

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
She's gone downhill again.
Yesterday she was quite subdued and today she won't eat or drink. She's lost 20g over night and her poop has gone squishy.

I don't know what to do. I'm petrified of taking her to the vets. She was getting better, I don't understand

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 20:06:34 PM »
Its good she has the strength to fight, maybe wrapping the pill up in something tasty?

She has put a fair bit of weight on which is great  ;D ;D

Long may this continue

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 19:14:05 PM »
She's doing amazingly. A little wobbly but just as playful and cheeky as she was  :Luv: She's just shy of 800g too!
Her and Frankie have started playing like loons again so I'm very very happy.

She's fighting taking her pill something crazy. Even wrapped up in  a tea towel she managed to scratch me.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2014, 07:08:57 AM »

How's the little puddin stealer this morning?   :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 20:07:27 PM »
Great vid Sassy! Soooo glad that Trixie is up to stealing your pudding - long may it continue  ;D  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 19:29:33 PM »
I so hope she has turned the corner and she is so sweet  ;D ;D ;D

Sadly I know that feeling as many will on Purrs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 19:25:54 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 19:19:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzEk_rYGxU&feature=youtu.be

Forgive the carpet, Tim managed to break the hoover by standing on it :/

I really hope she'll get back to normal, we call her our little flea because she jumps around like one! If she doesn't though, I'm perfectly content to just have our cuddly fluffball. Hopefully the vet will be able to advise on what sort of permanent issues this will have caused, if any.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 19:15:19 PM »

Oh Sassybot - this sounds such good news.   :) Cant wait to see video, and really praying she's turned a corner now.  I know how terrified you must've felt after yesterday, and its a bleak place to be. Sounds like Trixie isn't ready to throw in the towel yet, and that's every reason to throw everything you have at it.  And her.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 19:07:11 PM »
Hey!

Frankenstein is fine, he's just a little grumpy. Most likely because Trixie has had all my attention (children!) but also because he's a bit bunged up. He's been like this before and a huge hair ball follows within a couple of days. Last time I bought a special paste which worked wonders so he's back on that. He has access to hairball prevention dry food throughout the day, and I've even grown some cat grass in a pot which he loves and my friend swears by.

As for Trixie... well... she's doing AMAZINGLY!!!! When we got back from the vets I was really deflated. Worried, tired, scared- I hope you haven't experienced it but I'm sure you know the drill. I took her over for some chicken, then realised it was gone! She ate everything that was put down in front of her and by about 8pm she even had a tiny play :D She tired very fast but still found time to steal my pudding when I popped upstairs.

I tried to not get excited as I know how fast kittens can go down hill, but she woke me up for food, then watched me get ready for work. Came home and she played and ate and played some more. She is still very tired but we've gone from being 600g to 680g in a day even with poops!

Still keeping a very close eye on her but hopefully she's turned a corner and will get more like our little monster each day.

Just uploading a vid of her stealing my pudding! Will post when it's done x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »

Morning Sassyot.  How are you all doing/feeling this morning?  Am so sorry Frankie's ben a bit under the weather too - clearly means lots of hugs and snoozles required for all, and sending them to you by the bucketful.   :hug: :hug: :catlove2: :cat rub:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 19:47:48 PM »
Hope that FRrankinstein is Ok and Trixiw is doing well  ;D ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 18:47:59 PM »
I've just come back from my final therapy session. Picked up some kitty milk (calorie is a calorie right) on my travels. Opened the door and trixie came flying down the stairs, got a tickle then gobbled some more food. She even stole a bit of chicken from frankenstein naughty girl.

Frankenstein is constipated :p poor lad coughed up a hair ball and has been a bit down in the dumps (snigger). Stalked him going to loo and he tried very hard for not much of a result. He did this last time he had a hair ball 'attack' so going to start him on the magic paste again.

The only person in this house currently not medicated is Tim lol

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 17:51:57 PM »
Sorry, no, Wednesday next week.

I would say she is showing more interest in food than she ever has tbh. The only issue with chicken is that she seems to have trouble chewing it (apparently a side effect of the parasite) so I'm going to get her some stinky tuna when I pop out later. The vet dropped all pretense of 'eating healthy white fish and chicken' and is basically encouraging an 'if she'll eat it, let her' policy.

The shaking has stopped. She mostly has little tremors which don't seem to both her. I even got her to move her paw to try and catch a toy earlier (cue tears) so I'm hoping.

Guess the issue with kittens is how fast they can go down hill. I have to go into work tomorrow, really don't want to.

My main worry is about her being in pain. If shes in pain but getting better then Ok, but if she's in pain and not getting better it becomes an issue of it being cruel.

Just hope it doesn't come to that.

x
You must be full of butterflies and feel quite sick with worry. I do hope she gets better. :(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 14:52:40 PM »
Get some Complivet from the vet it is so high in calories does help with weight gain and as I said before a calorie is a calorie so cat milk. Lickylicks and anything that can be mashed with a little water to make a paste type food will be easier on her if it hurts to chew you will spend a lot of time mashing but the complivet can be added to the mixture to make the consumption easier

Vet should have the Toxo results back soon I would think but the weight loss and wobbles brings back the horror of FIP sadly to me hoping this is wrong
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
Sorry, no, Wednesday next week.

I would say she is showing more interest in food than she ever has tbh. The only issue with chicken is that she seems to have trouble chewing it (apparently a side effect of the parasite) so I'm going to get her some stinky tuna when I pop out later. The vet dropped all pretense of 'eating healthy white fish and chicken' and is basically encouraging an 'if she'll eat it, let her' policy.

The shaking has stopped. She mostly has little tremors which don't seem to both her. I even got her to move her paw to try and catch a toy earlier (cue tears) so I'm hoping.

Guess the issue with kittens is how fast they can go down hill. I have to go into work tomorrow, really don't want to.

My main worry is about her being in pain. If shes in pain but getting better then Ok, but if she's in pain and not getting better it becomes an issue of it being cruel.

Just hope it doesn't come to that.

x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
that is so sad, do you mean wednesday tomorrow? 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »

Not what any of us want to hear, ever, so completely understand how rocked you st be feeling now byt this news.   :hug: :hug:   However.  She has, you agree, been brighter in herself, and showing interest in food and in toys.  I personally feel it may be too soon to give up yet, especially as they haven't been too sure about the diagosis, let alone the prognosis.    Were you able to ask the vet about Complivet?  Can appreciate how upsetting it will all have been, but may be worth a go.

I think I'd be trying all sorts of stuff to get some meat back on her little bones, as you've been trying to do.  Am trying to recall what worked with our Suki when she was seriously ill and wouldnt stomach food.  I think we'd tried very finely minced chicken soaked in gravy when we eventually managed to get her to eat again.    Also maybe some finely mashed up sardines in tomato sauce.  Little morsels of cheese, if she enjoys that - little and often is the key if you can manage it.   

Am so rooting for your little Trixie - I know how much she's grown into your lives already.  Am hoping there may be some other suggestions for you to try as well.   :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
We've been the vets this morning. Prognosis is still bad. She's lost weight  and now weights just0.6kg. Vet asked us if we still wanted to keep going. I nearly sobbed.

Vet has said to weigh her daily and if she drops more to bring her back. Next appointment is Wednesday. Tim is away again.

If I step back I think Wednesday will be the time when we make a decision. I don't want to make the decision so she's got no more choice but to put weight on and fight.

It's my last therapy session today and I'm going to spend it sobbing

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
Keep her nice and warm  :hug: :hug:a

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »

Wanted to pop by to wish you the very best of visits today.  Also sending gentle cuddles for Trixie.   :hug: :hug:

Thank you. I sometimes wish that instead of having teachers and doctors in the family we had a vet. :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »

Wanted to pop by to wish you the very best of visits today.  Also sending gentle cuddles for Trixie.   :hug: :hug: 

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 21:53:29 PM »
Thanks for your support guys. I had no idea how draining this could ever be.

Had to give her a bath earlier. Weighted up the odds and decided that tho it would stress her a bit, being covered in poo and blood was worse.

She was very cold so I curled up on bed with her and warmed her up/napped.

It's a bit easier now Tim is home but still worried.

She's eating loads now which is great but she's still super tired and looks down in the dumps.

Vets tomorrow morning. Hoping they can give her something to protect the lining of her tum

Link to CatChat