Author Topic: The Barn Cats.  (Read 7144 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: The Barn Cats.
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 20:26:17 PM »
Start reading that thread about the General  ;D ;D

Although its 9 pages you will be able to skip lot  :innocent:

Yes I will.
Thanks.
Julie.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 19:51:41 PM »
Start reading that thread about the General  ;D ;D

Although its 9 pages you will be able to skip lot  :innocent:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 19:33:07 PM »
Homer is lovely  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  and fortunate to have found you  ;D
Keeping my fingers crossed he will get more trusting, it would be wonderful to see him curled up inside all warm and cosy when winter arrives.

Thanks Jiji. Yes lovely idea to eventually have Homer safe and warm inside for the winter. But I fear that may never happen. But then six months ago I never thought I would ever be able to touch him. So there is always hope.
Julie.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 19:30:58 PM »
Homer is best off with you Julie - safe, warm , fed and loved  :hug:

A thought about the food going off or flies on it - you could put the food in a litter tray with a cover over it and has a flap on it for him to go in.

Lovely pics  :Luv2:  :hug:

Mary

Thanks Mary. Good idea about putting food in covered litter tray. But I think Homer would be too scared to go through a flap. He won't come into my yard if there is something strange there. He is just so nervous.
Julie.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 19:28:09 PM »
An amazing place to bring up moggies. Lots of space to play and hunt.  ;D

Thanks Hollycat. Yes they are lucky moggies.
Julie.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »
Homer is lovely  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  and fortunate to have found you  ;D
Keeping my fingers crossed he will get more trusting, it would be wonderful to see him curled up inside all warm and cosy when winter arrives.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 23:18:06 PM »
Homer is best off with you Julie - safe, warm , fed and loved  :hug:

A thought about the food going off or flies on it - you could put the food in a litter tray with a cover over it and has a flap on it for him to go in.

Lovely pics  :Luv2:  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 23:08:14 PM »
An amazing place to bring up moggies. Lots of space to play and hunt.  ;D

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 18:49:58 PM »
Thanks Gill. I look forward to it. I see there are 9 pages. So will start at the beginning.
Julie.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 17:45:43 PM »
Just remembered an easy way to find this!

Here it is and please start at beginni ng  ;D

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,40907.msg803838.html#msg803838

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 16:31:44 PM »
Well done you and Homer and hope that he will continue to make progress   ;D ;D

there is a thread call 'the general' i think which is the progress of a cat from feral possibly to domestic, posted bt jacksprat, if you do a search for her or the general i am sure you will find the thread really interesting and heartwarming

Oh thank you Gill. That thread sounds really interesting. I will look it up.
Julie.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 16:11:42 PM »
Well done you and Homer and hope that he will continue to make progress   ;D ;D

there is a thread call 'the general' i think which is the progress of a cat from feral possibly to domestic, posted bt jacksprat, if you do a search for her or the general i am sure you will find the thread really interesting and heartwarming

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 14:49:14 PM »
It sounds as if you are working marvels with him, I certainly think you are doing the right thing :hug:

Thanks Slugsta. I hope so.
Julie.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 14:48:06 PM »
It sounds as if you are working marvels with him, I certainly think you are doing the right thing :hug:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 14:10:03 PM »
thank goodness he found you

Thank you Dawn.
Julie.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 14:07:57 PM »
thank goodness he found you

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 14:04:42 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments. I got a bit delayed finishing Homer's story. Here is the rest of it.
First let me say some would think I should have called the cats protection, or some such animal shelter to trap him. But Homer is terrified of people for some reason. If they had managed to trap him and he was old and dying, then imagine what a terrifying death it would be for him. If he was younger than I had first thought, then who would take him on. At least here he has plenty of shelter, and me to feed him. So I chose what I thought Homer would want. Not to be trapped and caged.
Well things got a bit difficult with feeding him as the days got warmer. By day his food would become covered in fly eggs. And by night covered in slugs. Magpies, and possibly rats were also getting to it first. So I stopped putting the food out. Every half hour I would look out of my window to see if he was around. It wasn't long before I saw him waiting outside late in the evening. As soon as I opened the door and put the food out he was gone. But peeping behind a curtain I saw he soon came back. At first he would only come late at night. But soon instead of running, he would just back away whilst I put the food down. Then I started to find him on the doorstep very early in the morning before anyone was about. He was putting on weight and I was able to get some photos. He then let me stand in the doorway whilst he ate. Then the big break through letting me sit on the doorstep next to him whilst he ate. If I moved, or looked at him he would shoot off, but would then return. Then I started putting my hand by his plate. Then early one morning I was sitting with him, and there was just such a gentleness about him that I reached out and touched the top of his head with a finger. I expected to get slashed. But he just jumped away, then came back to his food. I gently touched his head again. This time he looked up, then carried on eating. This has now graduated into me being able to stroke his head and now neck with my whole hand. He must have once been domesticated. But what happened to him, and why he is so terrified of people I will never know. I can only touch him if he's eating. As soon as he has finished, off he goes, and I don't see him until the next meal. He now always visits twice a day, sometimes three. I am so glad he chose the farm where I live as his home too.
Julie.

Photos of Homer.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 19:35:12 PM »
Me 3   ;)

Glad Homer found you  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 18:03:56 PM »
I want to live there too

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 18:02:16 PM »
I want to live there too !

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 14:46:04 PM »
:allears:   Just know I'm going to enjoy this thread.    :)

Me too!  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 13:01:17 PM »
 :allears:   Just know I'm going to enjoy this thread.    :)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
The Barn Cats.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Why call them the Barn Cats. Well because I live in a part of a barn with my six cats, and the stray I feed also lives in a barn. But not the same one as me and my domestic cats. I have lots of stories about my cats. And thousands of photos to back up the stories. But very few photos and stories about Homer, the stray I feed. So I shall start off with Homer's sad, and short little tale. But hopefully one that is growing and turning into a happy tale, and many photos.
Homer came into my life at the end of winter. A sorry looking skinny unkempt cat that had no tail and walked in a peculiar way. He was terrified of people and was rarely seen. I started to put food out for him, and soon it would disappear after darkness when all was quiet. I caught sight of him once or twice, and thought he was an old, probably dying cat. But over the months he picked up and when I got a few photos of him with my zoom on, I realised he wasn't old and dying like I thought. He looked far younger than I had first thought.
I have run out of time. Will have to continue this later.
Below is a photo of my cats and my barn. And below where Homer now lives.
Julie.

Link to CatChat