Author Topic: Peeing on my bed  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Peeing on my bed
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 22:57:37 PM »
Hope the intros go well cos that may solve the problem

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bane and un-named
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 22:37:50 PM »
So far he does stay off it if we are on it, I'll just need keep him off when I'm in and he jumps and at some point rearrange boxes etc and shut him out. The introduction is slow but moving so should be able to do this at some point.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 22:33:48 PM »
So one thing seems to be solved that the pads are stopping him, now the porblem is how to keep him off the bed when you want to sleep...............sorta out of ideas now.

He needs to be put somewhere else when you are using the bed I guess but where.

One of my cats used to go on a large beenbag I had and can sorta understand that xos underfoot probably felt like litter but not a bed................unless its a been bag texture  :innocent:

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 22:16:51 PM »
And another accident :( as soon as I moved the stuff off to go to bed and he's peed in the duvet.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 20:37:03 PM »
Yres keep the current set up and hope it works  ;D

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 20:15:09 PM »
Again, tiny new builds....doesnt allow much room for spaces we do actually need! Ill figure something out.
No accidents today so far, he has used both trays lids on and off but one still remaining on the covered and protected bed. We also soaked cleaner into the mattress and cleaned it up to break down the urine and any remainder smell. Where do we go from here? Just keep this setup for a while?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 18:26:30 PM »
I must say that as someone who always uses clumping litter, I find open trays much easier - a quick tip and declump is all that's needed - I can't be bothered with undoing clips and moving lids around

do you have a space under a worktop or table you could put the tray, in order to make it a little more inaccessible to little fingers?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 17:22:56 PM »
Lupin had always used a lidded tray before he came to me and did for quite a while after arriving  but my others dont and once he discovered the uncovered trays that was the end of the covered one.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

Depends on the cat - many use them without any difficulty, but having been a farm cat, your little lad will be less used to confinement and more likely to want openness, I'd be guessing.  It's us humans who prefer the lidded boxes.

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
Do they ever get used to a lidded tray? My only concern is the smallest child raiding the box... But will work around it we really need to.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »
Try leaving the lid of the high sided one I have a fair few with lids removed withbthe high sides and they use them with no issue having been outside he used to seeing daylight to go so to speak and the lids can scare them - my shallower trays are the ones with the rims and thats stops a bit of tracking as well

But good news on that front
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »

Good news he's used both trays.   ;D  Yes.  You can get a deeper tray when he's grown a bit more.  :Luv:

I would say keep Bane out for now.  It could be at the heart of the inappropriate toiletting, so slowly and gently does it.  Let's see if we can  get Harvey using the trays all of the time, albeit in their slightly odd placements.   :hug:

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
I will get hold of some soil and try that. I put a second box back in aswell last night and overnight he used the uncovered tray to pee and poo in. This tray is rather shallow but itll do for now. Leave it be and sort a deeper one once hes settled down? He will use the hooded one on my bed aswell but so far that is just poo.

He has been coming out with the kids about so he is getting used to them which is good. Should I continue to keep Bane out of the bedroom/safe place? He tries to go in as he likes the windowsill but so far turns into a growl fest.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »

It does sound like it may have been a reaction to having his "safe space" invaded, and so now he feels he has to defend it against all comers.    If he's not been used to people and being handled, it will have been a huge leap of faith for him to come round to trusting you and your family, so this may have been "too much too soon."   The noise and the feet of children can be quite scary to a kitten, and kids just love to play with kittens.  (Hell, we all love to play with kittens  :evillaugh:)

I doubt that it's from being left alone too.

Good idea too from Liz about the soil in the tray.  If you put soil in one tray and grit in the other, you should be able to work out fairly quickly if he has a preference for one or the other.

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 20:34:26 PM »
My hubby just tossed some out last night aswell from an old plant!
So shall I try two boxes in the one room then? Tight for space but will make it work if thats what we need to do.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 20:29:49 PM »
Sounds like he wants another grit box for a while to do pee and pooh in different grit boxes and a handy hint is if he came off a farm he is used to soil - I use compost for my ferals when they first come in and gradually add in the litters I use and it takes about 10 days but we then have ferals using grit boxes can be a tad messy but they get the idea
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 20:00:49 PM »
He started off with an open tray before this happened, hence trying a lidded one.
He has had the odd accident since day 1 here, being a farm kitten i guess he was never "trained" to use a specific place to go. He use the cat litter 90% of the time.
I had a friend come round with her son on the Saturday, they were in my bedroom to borrow some makeup. This was the first day of a huge pee on my bed, we originally suspected it was her son who had an accident as it was a large amount.
Sunday we had kids round to play with my son, the kitten was shut in the bedroom and again peed on the bed but also soiled. There is also a tumble dryer in the room (i cant move it, nor not use it) which i have I have for as short times as possible as i know its a big noise for him but he seems to be used it it now and happily comes out to me and plays whilst it is running.
It is since these few incidences that it has become more or a problem.

I dont know if its something we can work out now, or wait it out untill the cats are happier in the same rooms and then cut off the bedroom.

I dont think a protest to being alone, I came home earlier and the bed was dry. Within 10 mins of being home, he had soiled. he has also done a poo in the box whilst I was out.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 19:43:28 PM »
Just a thought - although they're a big favourite with us hoomans, some cats dont like hooded litter trays - it makes them feel more vulnerable.  Cats generally like to be able to watch out for ambush at all times, but particularly when toiletting.   Have you tried leaving the top off?

Can you think back to when this first happened.  What had taken place that day?  Try and plot the day from start to when you noticed the inappropriate toiletting.  It may help to give us some clues.   :shify:  Cats are complex creatures but there's usually something which can give a hint to why the behaviour has started.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 19:18:27 PM »
Do you think he might be protesting about being left alone?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 21:22:24 PM »
Alright, sounds a good plan. Luckily i have toddler bed mats and tons of them so they are out on the bed and the kids painting sheet.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 21:04:09 PM »
First You need to get rid of any smell cos that will attract him.

Once that is done and puppy pads cover the bed when you are not in it, you will see if teryhe change of feel makes a difference and if not then its just a protection system and its up to you to maybe keep moving him off the bed everytime you see him on it.

make it a no go  area so when moving him its accompanied by a firm no. if you think he wants to go put him in tray.

its all a matter of training.

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 19:08:57 PM »
There is a scent already there since he has already done it without any protection there. If i keep putting a pad out, hiw does that help resolve him doing it?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 19:07:14 PM »
Yes see my post!

When a puppy pad gets soiled just remove and thrwaway, no scent no cleaning up

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 17:17:32 PM »
Came home to find another poop on the bed :( he went in the tray fine last night and this morning! He now has a hooded box with the flap off untill he gets used to it. Whats good at getting rid of the scent when i clean up and anything else i can do to try and nip this?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 13:38:46 PM »
Try putting puppy pads over the bed to protect it, he may also have paddled on the bed and thought it felt like a litter tray!

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
Not without intruding onto the resident cat too early. Harvey has taken up the bedroom as his safe place and it was the only room we could use to close off before starting the introduction process. The only other room is the kitchen (too small) and the kids room (closed at night and too busy)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
we had this when our bengal was a kitten I had to shut her out of the bedroom for  a few weeks to break the habit and that worked, not sure if it is an option?

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
We need a lidded box anyways with the kids about so no biggie to go get one, and will keep the open tray avalaible still too. We will just move it to another room.
We found another little pee last night, nothing major that moving the t shirt he went on didnt fix and also a teeny little poo this morning. Again he has been seen to do both in the tray fine.

You have been so helpful with my threads, thankyou x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Bless you, Arcanegirl - sorry about that, and thanks for re-posting, as it's always a useful link to have to hand.   :)

I still think the peeing yesterday may just have been a reaction to your visitors.  it's quite a lot for a timid young lad to take in.   I know Tinks always legs it if we have family round.  He comes back in when they've gone. 

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
Had a read up, we do need to get a third tray sorted. The cat to cat introductions link doesnt work though, I cant seem to find that article.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »

You might find this helpful - and might be worth looking at his "cat to cat introductions" as it's almost certainly to do with his way of dealing with the changes which ahe's found in his life right now.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/litterbox-secrets/

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
Peeing on my bed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 23:18:09 PM »
My kitten can and has been using his litter tray but we've been finding the odd pee on my bed. He is only 10 weeks and we have e an older cat who hasn't been  in this room. Is the kitten territory marking? How do we stop the bed Peeing and get him to go in the tray?

Link to CatChat