Author Topic: Non judgemental experienced vet in London pls!!  (Read 3855 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Non judgemental experienced vet in London pls!!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 16:52:35 PM »
FelineLove, did you find a vet who can help you?  :-:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 23:53:26 PM »
she seems to lie down with her head on the side for the last few months, but she is eating really well, so I don't think they can be too painful. she gets thru about 4 sachets of food per day. Sleeps a lot, but for a cat who is 19, I am not too worried. She was a feral cat for 17 years and lived at the stables eating mice & birds,and chasing off the foxes  :naughty: I am sure if her teeth were painful she wouldnt be eating so much. She likes her home comforts now :Luv:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 17:34:29 PM »
Is Tabby suffering with her teeth?? TBH if not, and she's eating ok and not suffering, I'd be inclined to pass on having them out. As long as she's walking around and her Hyper T and eating are good, she could paddle on ok.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 15:47:16 PM »
that's where one (or two) man bands are better, they are a bit more flexible

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 15:36:16 PM »
went in to vets today to pick up tabby's thyroid pills and asked about payment plan but no they don't do one, said its their Head Office rules :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
maybe its just london prices? I did tell them no way can I afford that much :(

heather, have you asked your vet if he can set a payment plan for you , some vets are happy to do so.
My neighbour cat Lucky is almost 20 and hasn't been well, she had to take her in 3 times last month for tests and treatment and the vet agreed for her to pay the bill off in next 4 to 6 months.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 21:12:46 PM »
maybe its just london prices? I did tell them no way can I afford that much :(

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
£350 does seem a lot - Trigger was kept in from Friday night to Monday morning a few months ago on a drip before a dental and I paid less than £300 and that included two lots of blood tests
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 00:54:21 AM »
Senior cats need to go on a drip to avoid kidney disease, Sasa had all but 2 teeth out a couple of years ago and my vet does a dental deal, think was £180.

she is now 16

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 21:43:14 PM »
My cat who is 19 has just been diagnosed with HyperT, had shedloads of blood tests and a urine test and now on pills. She also has some bad teeth and vet wants to give her a dental and put her on a drip to help flush anaesthetic out quickly, vet very nice, but unfortunately the price of dental and drip = £350 :wow: so unless I win the lottery............. :(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 16:25:53 PM »
Just to say if you are going to do a T4  test run a Fructose as well as Diabetes and Hyper T both show the same symptoms - I have 2 Hyper T and 1 diabetic all getting on and a 20yo with dementia and have to say I love my vets to bits they treat all my domestic, feral and pedigree cats the same have only ever used 2 vets in 23 years of cat ownership and both have my undying support shame you aren't in Scotland
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 15:45:37 PM »
Which bit ofr north London arre you?

On Pavs thread......Felicity very poorly there are vet thoughts for NW London and she has just taken Felicity to a vet she used previously after being totally ripped off by a terrible vet.

You as the owner make the choices for your cat, a vet can only recommend and if he does so on the basis of a cats age...................definately dump him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
I would take up Sheila's recommendation FL  :hug:  We have had two 18, one 19 and one almost 21 year old and like you I believe I know when to let go.

I'm a great believer that a slave knows their cat far, far better than any vet and, if you think your lovely girl still has quality time left, I would bet on your instincts.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
Sorry I can't help with vet recommendations as I'm not in London.  I agree that we are the best people to know when it's time to let them go.  Just because they are old doesn't mean they don't have a good quality of life.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:23:16 AM »
Fully understand why you will be feeling so protective of your lovely granny girl.   :Luv: I dont live in the area but hoping that you can find the vet you want and that she needs.  No reason at all to think just because a cat is elderly it's not worth trying for.  :hug: :hug:  Our Padster was 20 (anna bit) when we had to let him go, and I wouldnt have missed those senior years with him for the world.  They were some of the most precious we shared together.   

Good luck with your search.   :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:27:16 AM »
My vet is very understanding and I have complete confidence in him, our cats range from. 1 year old to 18' one is HT and very creaky but my vet is content that he is pain free and happy. Try him? Ask to see Neil at Palmerston vets, they have branches in Walthamstow and Buckhurst Hill but Neil generally runs the Walthamstow practise.

Good luck with your senior Kittizen.  :hug:

Offline feline Love

• Kitten
Non judgemental experienced vet in London pls!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »
Does anyone know of any vets that are highly experienced with cats are also non judgemental??
North London would be best, travelling far would stress my senior kitty even more!
My cat is in her granny years & I want the best for her. She currently has IBD & ursine tract problem. But there is more. Diarrhoea is main concern! She was not tested for hyperthyroidism  & has the symptoms.
She loosing weight & her coat is dull. I want to get her to have a T4 test but am told she is ancient & should be PTS.
Sorry but my cat still walks , eats & drinks. She might have have a bit more time , if the vets can preform certain tests.
Please do not write harsh answers! I have had cats all my life & know when to let go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Link to CatChat