Author Topic: Cat litter suggestions please  (Read 1887 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: Cat litter suggestions please
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 16:55:31 PM »
We use bog standard wood pellets & I have to say they are brilliant as they absorb wee and wee odours and can be composted,
burned or put in with landfill rubbish without making me feel too guilty!

As for poo smells.... you could feed him indoor kibble that reduces odour, I get the RC one, it does seem to work.

I am lucky (or not .... depends how you look at it) as my cats seem to wait until I get home, run around a bit and then have a poo which means I can dispose of it pretty quickly, I flush them down the loo as well, don't see why not really. Could be that his poo will settle down once he is used to his new environment and food.

Is he going to be an indoor cat?

Jo  X

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »

We use cat san, which is good at odour control, but is expensive - thankfully we dont use as much now as we did.  One word of warning - some cats dilike a change of litter, and may refuse to use the tray if they dont like your preferred choice.   :innocent:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
I use chick crumbs.  They clump pretty well so easy to scoop out.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
I use wood pellets - you can get pine scented ones from Pets at Home (I think). They don't clump but are biodegradable so you can flush solids down the loo. They're don't track much either.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 22:10:45 PM »
Agree, Slugsta!!  They're more like hard little pellets these days, far less stink! 

I use Golden Grey Master, which has a sort of baby powder like aroma.  It's not cheap to buy but because it clumps incredibly well,  it's really easy to pick out the soiled bits and top it up, meaning that you use far less of it in the long run.

Only thing is it is a  :censored: for tracking through the house...need a really good mat in front of the tray to catch most of the bits. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 19:21:22 PM »
I like the compacted sawdust litter, when it gets wet it smells more of wood shavings than excrement.

Maybe a bit early for your lad, but Cleo's poos became much less unpleasant once we swapped her over to raw food.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
Cat litter suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 17:04:05 PM »
Hi all

Since little Bruno joined us a few days ago we have noticed that an odour is now occurring because he poops so much. The current clumping litter we have from pets at home doesn't seem to doing much. Can anyone recommend a good litter that doesn't cost the earth to buy? Or failing that, does anyone have any suggestions on how else to combat the interesting whiff which is cat poop!!

:)

Thanks
Nik
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 17:04:38 PM by NikNakNoo »

Link to CatChat