Author Topic: Possible hairballs....  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Possible hairballs....
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 18:35:21 PM »
If one of my cats goes off their food or is sick I automatically treat for furball by giving tuna in oil over several days. If this doesn't help, Profender is called for. If things get worse, which (touch wood) they rarely do, then they go to the vets.

Furball is common in all cats, as are worms in cats who aren't routinely wormed.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 14:40:39 PM »
Sounds like what ever was the problem has now come up!

However please remember that purring is not always good as it is also their way of masking pain.............have to say I would have rung the vet after this

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 18:46:28 PM »
Hmm....Vet couldn't find anything wrong, other than slightly inflamed bowel which she said felt a bit gassy. Temperature fine. We decided that as she'd eaten and had normal poo this afternoon we wouldn't treat with anything, just keep and eye and obviously go back if any problems.
So, on the way home she has slavered like nobodies business (never done that before) and once home been sick outside (lots of undigested food from earlier) and had a small, runny poo with a trace of blood in it.
Not sure what to think - whether the stress and upset and having her belly squished hasn't helped??
She's curled up upstairs, purrs and enjoying a fuss when I've gone to see her - guess I'll just have to keep an eye on her and go back if no improvement.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 16:44:27 PM »
It is typical! I know its not pleasant, but if she is still having dodgy poos, take a sample to the vets???  :sick:

Or maybe ring and ask if its worth you taking one first!!!

Hope shes ok x

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 15:31:27 PM »
Thanks Gill. She only goes out in the cat run and there's not any grass in there.

Of course since I posted she is now up and about and has decided to eat what was put in her bowl at breakfast time. Typical! Doesn't mean she can escape the vets though.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 13:27:47 PM »
Has buffy been outside cos Lupin last week ate some grass and an inch of it stuck to the back of his throat and he need an op to remove it............he wouldnt eat and think he was in pain.

Furballs are usually sicked up or in Sasas case excreted fom the other end.........all mine are longhaired so I think this sounds like something else.

Hope vet visit goes OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Possible hairballs....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 13:19:17 PM »
Hi all - can't believe how long it is since I've been on here! Hope everyone is well  :Luv:

We've an appointment at the vets this teatime but I know there's folks on here with a lot of experience so here goes......

My remaining cat Buffy (FIV, about 13 yrs old) has luckily never had any medical issues, but before Christmas she went off her food and was being sick. Her temp was fine and full bloods showed no problems, but this still took a couple of weeks to resolve.
On Friday morning early hours, she was a little bit sick, then she hid all day and refused to eat although she was purry when I went to check on her (regularly!!). There was a bit of diarrhea in the trays. On Saturday she had perked up a lot and was licking the jelly off the food - she must have heard the vets being threatened! Sunday she ate a little less but was ok in herself. In the litter tray, there was a piece of poo that was pretty much mostly hair. I was out overnight and when I've come home today she's not touched the food the cat/dogsitter put down for her, and she was so hidden it's taken me ages to find her.
She's had a little purr and then done some of the furball type coughing and curled herself up away from me again.

Definitely time for the vets. No doubt however bad she's feeling she'll still put up a fight about getting in the box!

I've had a few cats with long hair and never had a problem with furballs. It might be that this isn't furballs and hopefully the vet will be able to sort whatever it is but I was wondering what experience folks on here have had with furballs, does it tend to affect older cats? I remember someone mentioning a paste they put on their cats leg to help with furballs?

Thanks
Su

Link to CatChat