Author Topic: Animal Psychology Diploma ONLINE  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
Re: Animal Psychology Diploma ONLINE
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 13:20:29 PM »
In my view, it's animal displaying emotions at the loss of a loved one. We know animals are capable of forming love bonds and such, so it's absolutely possible for them to feel grief when a loved one is lost. In this case, I think it's near impossible to say that these monkeys were emulating human behaviour, as it is unlikely they had come in contact with humans before this test was carried out and have probably never seen other humans grieving.

Definitely good food for thought though.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
I didnt do the video either, and for much the same reasons, but again - animals displaying "human behaviour" or animals genuinely feeling grief and anger over loss? 

No probs Blue Rabbit.  Am entirely on the mend now  :)

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
Glad you're feeling better Sue, so sorry I didn't notice you had said you'd been poorly, I wrote my answer in a rush and didn't see it.

I daren't watch the video, the report that was with it was upsetting enough  :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »
Sorry Sue, I daren't watch it  :(

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »

Incidentally, anyone see this?  A marmoset in the wild who comforted his dying partner....?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/26924936

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »
Thanks Mary - I'm getting there.   :)  Slight set-back on Saturday ight and had to get the out of hours GP service involved, but much better now and getting my appetite back.   ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 18:44:57 PM »
Hope you are feeling better Sue  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
So far I have to say I agree with you Sue!

I'm hoping to do some more on it this afternoon, so will try and update you all later.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »

Interesting to read your view on it too Blue Rabbit   :)

I'm reminded of the saying "Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story...."   :evillaugh:  Onward and upwards, and let's see how it goes.  I havent done any more of it as yet as haven't been too well over the last week.  Will pick it up again over the easter weekend.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 18:12:46 PM »
I'm also doing the course and after doing the first module yesterday, I have to agree that some of the 'fact' in it is a little tarnished by the personal opinion in it. I can't see anything that states where they're getting their facts from but it's still interesting to read.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 16:14:24 PM »
It used to be thought that newborn and prem babies do not feel pain, we now know that this is far from the truth. I suspect that, at some stage, scientists will also 'prove' that which we already know - that animals do experience a range of emotions.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 14:17:43 PM »
Elephants have senses that are so precious and live in family groups for scores of years and has been well known for a long time that they grieve.

Suspect they do many other emotional things too but have forgotten.

anyone who thinks that animals dont have emotions is like those who think we are the only life in the universe!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
There was also a programme recently (Chris Packham as well I think) where they showed elephants grieving.

It sounds awful, but they put the (cleaned) skull of an elephant where there was a herd and I cant remember the exact reaction, but you could tell they were mournful.

Personally, I think a bow tie on a cat can look very debonair.   ;)   Especially Lupin.   :Luv2:

I agree!  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 18:51:09 PM »

Thanks for that Susanne.  I will view it at leisure.  :)

I'll persist with the course - it will have some intrinsic value, notwithstanding my irritation with the way the course has been put together.  No experience is entirely wasted. And it may pick up as the modules progress.

For the price, it's something I should have considered beforehand, but I may well leave feedback on the content in case they decide to re-run this at a later date.

I don't really have a problem with "the establishment" frowning on and discouraging anthropomorphism per se.  Everyone's entitled to an opinion. 

Personally, I think a bow tie on a cat can look very debonair.   ;)   Especially Lupin.   :Luv2:

It doesnt stop Jackson Galaxy being good at what he does - he still talks terms of endearment to his own pets and to others, and there are plenty of other people out there who have an excellent psychological understanding of animals, and who not withstanding still attribute degrees of "humanity" to animals - I'm not about to pick fault with David Attenborough who once likened a bereaved Lemur Mother to a human parent grieving for her young.  He's a man for whom I have a huge amount of respect.     :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 18:18:26 PM »
Here's a brief clip of the tv programme about the capuchin monkeys.  I think the segment was a bit longer and went into more detail in the actual programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s6mf9

It was the Chris Packham series Inside the Animal Mind

I've been trying to find the bbc wildlife magazine I had about a year ago - I remember the front page headline was something along the line of "Do animals love?" and it referred to some research that indicated they do.  I never throw any of these magazines out so will have it somewhere.

I think the best thing to do with a course like this where you aren't too impressed with the course tutor is to use it as a structure for doing your own thing and forming your own opinions.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 17:14:00 PM »
I agree with you Sue and am interested how it goes  ;D

There is a dog on istgram that is always dressed in a baseball cap, shorts and shirt and .........wait for it.........SHOES!

So many dressing up cats and one that has been dressed all the time since it was a kitten, I will not follow these people.

Bow ties attached to collars or are collars I make an exception for cos the cats look so wonderful usually and have got a red one for Lupin...............think he has hidden it before I have even tried attaching it bto his walkin jacket just for a couple of pics!!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 15:04:10 PM »
Sue, I'm very interested to hear about your course. I am quite disappointed to hear that it seems to be based on a lot of opinion, rather than evidence  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 14:51:01 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   I sometimes think I see too much humour in life, and need to be less flippant, but what the hell - it beats the alternative!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 14:48:24 PM »
OMG I am so glad I didn't buy this course cos I definitely don't have time to think about things this hard  :evillaugh: ;)

Looking forward to your progress Sue.

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

Exactly my thoughts Gill - I refuse to accept the notion that animals don't have emotional capcity.  not sure how well that fits me out for this course.

I expect when undertaking a course of study to have been devised by someone who is both informed on their subject and also who avoids the use of personal opinion as if it's fact.  It's one thing to say "from my own observations, I conclude this...." but quite another to indicate that people who anthropomorphise their domesticated pets are somehow inadequate "because I think so" is quite a different concept.

And to what degree does the person make this assertion?  Are we talking people who ask their dog if they wanna go walkies wiv Mum, and make it sound all interesting and fun in their tone of voice or are we talking about people who push their pets round in prams, dressed in babygro's (and they're out there....)

Or people who snuggle with their cats and tell them fairystories about Rumplestiltskin and The Pied Piper  of Hamlyn (you know who you are....  ;)) when you're trying to get them to go to sleep and all they want to do is play, 'cos they're lickle and they're awake and you should be too.....   :rofl: :rofl:

I draw the line at dressing dogs and cats and rabbits in costumes personally, but I know people who do this and derive huge personal enjoyment from it.  I dont think those people really believe their dog wants to look like Mae West, or that their cat hankers after being Captain Jack Sparrow - they're probably just after an amusing photograph.  [but I accept there are those who do this and have no interest in photography....  :doh:]   Then again, we all know cats are sneaky schemers who may well dream of having a natty little number by Gucci, or who plant o trip their owner when they're next on the stairs as revenge for that humiliating Lolcat picture, don't we?  :evillaugh: :rofl:

Anyway.  We shall see how the course progresses.

And I shall update you on my thoughts and comments (if anyone's interested  :naughty:).

And if you're all very good boys and girls, I may devise a course for all Purrs members to take (although there'll be no pens involved, because I realise that they can be the very devil to grip in the wrong paws... ;) :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh right, well I think lol that there is nothing wrong with this as long as not taken to extreme.

I believe that the person should state if scientific thought is available but sure that observation and knowledge of animals very important.

If someone was to tell me that cats have no emotion I would laugh in their face, they get hurt when we ignore them, they grieve for a lost friend, they love the things that give them pleasure etc etc

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:34 AM »

Susanne, some very good observations, and I broadly agree. 

The person who has devised this course, peppers the course module with "I think...." and "I believe" which seems to me a little indulgent if it isn't backed with any form of scientific theory or fact based evidence behind it - I then gather the feeling that it's this person's subjective belief, and if that's the case, it's no better (or worse) than my anthropomorphic approach.

(Gill, it's just a high falutin word that means to ascribe human attributes and feelings to animals, which certain authorities believe is inappropriate and to be discouraged at all costs  :evillaugh:).

And I reckon it's okay for us to do it, so long as we know we do, and still understand the basic drives and needs of our pet companions.  So long as we acknowledge that and do the best we can to facilitate and nurture their physical and mental well-being, then I dont believe it is a fundamental flaw fatal to the correct understanding of animal psyche.

But - she says mischievously - that's just what I think.   ;)

Slugsta - good to know there are other Johnny Morris fans out there.   :hug: ;D

Mary, am very pleased you're going to make this a monthly treat for yourself.  I think it's a valuable bit of "me" time for you, and very reasonably priced!   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 00:59:26 AM »
OK I give in and dont know what that word means  :-[ :-[

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 00:02:37 AM »
Susanne it's a pity we are not all cuddly animals too  ;)

I'm impressed you've started already Sue, enjoy  :hug:

I had a reflexology and Reiki session a while ago and I've booked her again for £15th April.  She is really good and I've decided to go every month.  I need to look after myself and it's only £20 for a hour.

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 23:52:03 PM »
I think it's ok to anthropomorphise as long as you know you're doing it   :-:

Seriously - we can only see animals and their behaviour through our own experiences so we see and interpret everything through human eyes and explain it through reference to our own experiences.   That doesn't mean you can't also be scientific and objective about what you observe.  I think scientists have been so eager to not be accused of anthropomorphism that they have refused to consider the possibility that animals have emotions.  However lots of more recent research is coming to the conclusion that some animals to seem to have emotions and experience emotional events and attachments to other animals.  Behaviours have also been observed of altruistic behaviour amongst that cannot be explained in terms of advantage to themselves, except maybe in promoting group harmony and relations between individuals.  Theres was something on tv recently I think about capuchin monkeys refusing to eat too  many nuts if they saw their friend in an adjacent cage not getting any?  I can't remember the specifics now.  Maybe not so different to us after all.  Not surprising given that we are animals too.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 20:08:34 PM »
I also grew up with Animal Magic and yes, I anthropomorphosise all the time  :briggin:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 19:22:51 PM »
I will watch this with interest  ;D

My study days are well gone and when I get organized just sticking to art............awaiting a new sketch book and then should have everything!

Be nice if the postie put the parcel in the wheeliebin like the last one!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 16:20:21 PM »
Begun the first module.  Got to "anthropomorphism" and realised whoever wrote this course is quite opinionated (as opposed to authoritative).  I also giggled because yes, I do this.  I blame Johnny Morris - I grew up with Zoo Time and Animal Magic.  I make no apology.   :evillaugh:

Mary, I hope you're enjoying your course.  I used to love a good reflexology session, but my lovely lady moved away and not had one in years.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 20:31:04 PM »
Sue, that's great, I wish I had the time but no chance as I'm doing an online reflexology course at the moment, not done any since my mum went in hospital in December though. I've also bought another one and not started it yet - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Diploma.

I thought it was just for dogs at first but then it said puddy cats and rabbits too.  I bet it will be very revealing ;)

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 19:44:54 PM »
Well, I've taken the plunge.  Will let you know how it goes.....   :wow: :evillaugh:  Cheers Mary.  I think it might prove to be a nice adjunct to my reiki practitioner qualification.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 19:28:14 PM »
It does sound good doesn't it and a great price reduction.  If I didn't have so much on my plate at the moment I'd be interested.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 15:24:37 PM »

Me too.  It would keep my mind active, and it's something that could be fun as well as educational (not sure it will have any long term value but seeing as I'm possibly going to have to consider a career change anyway, this is food for thought as a start!)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 15:13:48 PM »
It does seem interesting! I am quite tempted as at first glance I assumed it would be mostly about dogs....
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 13:05:55 PM »
Wow, that's a bit of a bargain price compared to the usual price.  Be interesting to do.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE

Link to CatChat