Author Topic: Tips / Advice please for two new Fur Kids  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Tips / Advice please for two new Fur Kids
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
I hope the Mum cat is now being neutered. Two new kittens is a lovely thing but not a present you want repeated every year. I've known people who can end up being the mad cat family/lady - they'll take in our unwanted cats. 

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
 :wow:  Like the names.   

Hoping all goes well and smoothly with the integration of Aries and Hades when they arrive at yours.  What colours are they?  Look forward to seeing piccies when you get some.   :)

Offline tom_tom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Zeus & Phoebe
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 19:28:25 PM »
Hi and thanks for the advice and comments :)

Will need to check the history of the mother but I guess its along the lines of what RM said, but I pretty sure they are no in bred

With regards to the comment re pets as presents we dont have any Kids ourselves, so Phoebe and Zeus are quite spoilt,
we were thinking about possibly getting ONE new addition? Before this came about.. So I quote the below
 "this way they can stay together and not be split up, I know they will be very looked after, and we still get to see them  :Luv2: "

Sue P - Staying on the Greek theme, we have decided to call the brothers Aries - slight variation of the spelling as this links with the zodiac sign as they were borm on my birthday, and Hades

Thx for the link!! 

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 18:20:17 PM »
There is a pretty good series on YT about introducing a new kitten to Bengals.  Here's the link for the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mgXHAMDZI

I think the general thing is to keep the cats separated in another room from the house cats, let them sniff under the door.  You can also feed them at the door, so they associate the odour of the other cats with good things.  You can then do supervised play in the room, and then gradually introduce the new ones to the rest of the house.  This can take a few weeks to successfully do.  I've never had to do it myself
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 18:25:21 PM by Purdy Bear »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 13:31:01 PM »
 :shify:  Hmmm.   Well, I guess we take these things on the chin eh?  As presents go, I can think of ones much worse, but then I have to clarify that. as of course we're all cat fans here, so mainly we see it "double the pleasure".   ;) :evillaugh:

I once left my stepdaughter's house with a small beige and white bundle which was one of her cat's kittens, and much as we hadnt looked to add to our kitty family, he was a huge blessing.  :Luv:   Not sure our existing cat saw it that way, especially when he decided to flatten the kitten whilst he was playing in a "lovely jubbly" champagne box, but on the whole it worked out okay.   :innocent:

I would say that in my view adopting two kittens is easier than adopting one, because generally speaking they will act as company for each other, thus leaving the older cats in (relative) peace, but providing enough amusement for them all to rub along.  (But maybe I have a warped sense of reality.... ;))

I'd go for the "sneaking them into a spare room which has already been made kitten friendly" so they seem like a really intriguing mystery (in a good way) to your existing two.  Make sure your two are not there to see the new two being secreted away in the chosen room.  Let it be a surprise of the most magical variety.   :wow: Strange but interesting scents behind a door - in no way threatening, but in every way a mystery to be explored.   :Luv:  Plenty of playtime for each brace of cats, so no-one feels left out.    ;D  Gradually leaving the door open, so that sniffing at a distance can take place - scent swapping  (blankets or toys) - and managed introductions over a period of time.

Do you have any names in mind as yet?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
Hi Tom

I don't like to jump to conclusions so can you give us more info on circumstances of the other family member with 8 cats and how one became pregnant?  Are they breeders or was it just  a mistake and mom now booked in for a spay?

Have to say I'm not keen on animals being given as presents  :shify: but at least they are sure to be well cared for by you and you will know better than most what a handful and a delight kittens can be  :)

As all 4 are very young, I would hope you will not have too much difficulty with intros.  At least I very much hope so  :hug:

Offline tom_tom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Zeus & Phoebe
Tips / Advice please for two new Fur Kids
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
Hi folks 

As some of you may already know we have two Bengy Cross's (Brother and Sister Zeus and Phoebe) who will be 1 yr old in May.

Last Sat one of the family who have 8 fur kids announced one of theirs gave birth to two kitties (both boys)

In their wisdom they kindly decided as they were born on my birthday I could have them as a present   :shocked: :Crazy:

So basically it will be around the end of june (I think?) for the new arrivals, so any advice information, or handy helpful tips on intruducing the babies to our exsisting fur kids will be VERY greatly received  :thanks:

As always thank you in advance!   

Tom

Link to CatChat