Author Topic: Fred gone missing first time out of new house!  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Fred gone missing first time out of new house!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
I think you may be right Gill.

I've just seen him again for the first time in several days. I've been getting really concerned and missing him.

I let the others out when I woke up, after about 30mins, I called them in for 'breakfast' (munchies). They all came running. To reward their prompt response, I gave them Whiskas Temptations (I wish I had voice recognition on this pc, it hurts to type!) and rattled the box. I saw a Fred-like shape emerge from bushes at the bottom of the garden. It was him! Took me a few sec.s to recognise him cos so thin! But def him. He started to approach the house, but kept running away. He acted like a feral, which he was once. He wanted the food and shelter, but was scared.

I 'phoned a friend' who said he might be scared of being shut in again. But he's seen the others being let out every day and willingly come in in the evening.

So friend mentioned lack of catflap. I agree this could be an issue.

It's like he's chosen to 'go native'. There are very few ferals here and seem to be no feral feeders such as there were in Selly Oak. I think he's living on the scraps the squirrel woman puts out for squirrels.

I might try trapping him. Perhaps keep the others in and put out a feral trap.

I miss Fred, we were close; now his sister has started snuggling into my stomach at night when I go to sleep. I think she's missing him too.

Was about to ask friends to leaflet the area (wrists too painful to deal with letter boxes) when this happen.

Would be grateful for suggestions. Thanks.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »
So sorry to hear about health probs  and hop Fred decides that coming home is a good idea  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Could be your lack of a cat flap is not helping cos he thinks if he comes in you wont let him out  again, is there anyway you can get a catflap in?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Didn't see Fred yesterday. Let the other cats out to lay scent trails home, they all came home, but no sign of Fred. I'm sure the cat I saw in previous post was Fred because I saw the tail. His lookalike has an amputated tail only about a third of normal length. Fred's is full and long. Seemed like he just didn't want to come home.

Friends have suggested getting compensation. The hospital rang, they'd re-examined the x-rays and found a break in left wrist, but said they wouldn't treat it any differently. All I really want is for the council to do something about the pavements. I'm only 55, but there are lots of elderly people in the area who would have a much harder time falling that I do. As it is, I have been diagnosed with low (it was unmeasurable) vit D induced osteoporosis. I'm on vit D for life. So bones break easily, though I haven't had a recent bone density scan done.

Sorry about all the medical info.
Here's hoping the wanderer returns soon.
Thanks.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 23:37:43 PM »
hope it is naughty fred you keep seeing. Just out of interest, I tripped over uneven tarmac a few years ago, ended up in A&E with suspected broken nose, cuts and bruises and swollen knee, ended up getting a swollen bursa on knee that had to be drained a few times. I wrote to the council with photos of the unlevel ground, photos of my injuries, letters from hospital doctors etc and copies of my A&E notes and saying how dangerous the ground was, and I ended up with a compensation payout which was worth waiting for, as it bought my new horse ;D they also repaired the ground as I said it was dangerous for all the old people who live round there.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 22:32:05 PM »
What a relief! I'm so glad you've got a confirmed sighting and that Fred is staying close by.  Hopefully you can now rest and recover a little easier.  Please do let us know when Fred finally gets fed up of the great outdoors and decides to come back in x x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 22:10:44 PM »
So pleased its definately Fred.

This sounds like Sasa 3/4 years ago and she lived outside all winter but I have a falp and she used to come in and eat when she was sure I was in bed, eventually I caught her in and she stayed in for about a year but she was all orange from the water and mud and she needed all teeth out except two.

she doesnt leave the garden now and prefers to be inside most of time but she is now about 15yrs.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 17:20:08 PM »
Glad to hear you have spotted him. Naughty Fred playing hard to get! He must be getting a bit hungry now unless he has found a good hunting ground! I'm sure he'll head indoors when it gets colder as is forecast!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 16:40:24 PM »
I've seen him and this time I'm sure it's him!
I've been letting the other cats go out for a few hours each day. Today, after they'd been out for a couple of hours, I called them and saw a Fred-like figure emerge from bushes at the bottom of the garden. I called him and walked closer, he turned his back on me tail in the air, displaying a full and healthy tail, and disappeared back into the bushes, so I tossed some munchies in his direction.

Seems like he's just sussing out the area and will come home when he's ready. The others seem to be keeping tabs on him.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 16:34:24 PM »
Hippykitty  :hug: I am so sorry to hear about your fall. That really was the last thing you needed at the moment! I really hope it is fred that you have seen around. May he return soon, full of tales of his derring-do and wondering what all the fuss is about  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 16:24:23 PM »
I 'think' I've seen him again!
My garden is lawn surrounded by mature overgrown shrubs and small trees. When I viewed it last spring it looked like a forest glade. Not to the tidy gardener's taste, but I loved it. After letting the cats go out earlier, it began to drizzle and they were showing a desire to come back in; while letting them in I went into the garden shaking munchies and calling Fred. From the bushes at the bottom of the garden emerged a Fred-like figure, but I only saw the front, so it may have been his tailess lookalike. The cat ran off when I walked closer to him.

When Fred went missing for ten days at previous house, friend and I concluded that he'd been visiting feral friends in the neighbourhood. I wonder if he's just making friends/establishing territory re the local cats?

I hope it was him I saw, then at least I'd know he is still alive etc.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 14:55:19 PM »
I've let the other cats out in the hope that they'll lay scent trails which may lead him home. They all seem aware of his loss, especially Lucy and his sister Victoria. Lucy loves Fred.  :Luv:

Hopefully they'll find him and lead him home.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 14:42:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about your nasty fall and hope all the ouchy bits heal very soon :hug:

Fingers crossed Fred comes home soon :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 13:35:02 PM »
Hope you get well soon  :hug: :hug:

Cats have been known to travel many many miles to get to there old home.

i do hope it was him you saw cos if he is close he is just waiting for the right time to get in.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Sorry to hear of your injuries Hippykitty, get well soon!!  :hug:

How frustrating to have come so close to getting him home, I'm sure he'll be home soon. If he's gone missing for a long time before, it could be that he's just done it again and is having a good old explore of his new territory! Chin up, you will get him home!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »
Because of my injuries, if he isn't home soon I might employ Animal UK Search team to look for him, despite the cost. I have enough left to cover this from the sale of the previous house. If it brings Fred home, it'll be worth it. If I was fit, I'd do the search myself because they don't really do anything which can't be done by the cat's person.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
Typing this is very painful because on saturday when myself and two friends went out to search area, I tripped on an uneven paving stone and was taken to hospital by ambulance with head injury and suspected neck injury. My wrists are killing me! Lots of X-rays, nothing broken, but interrupted Fred search. Was in hosp for about 4hrs.

Still very sore, especially wrists which makes doing anything very difficult.
Fred still not home. But I THINK I saw him last night when calling him at sunset, though may have been the cat who looks like him. Fred or his lookalike was in next-door's garden, at the bottom, so I threw Go Cat over and trailed it to my french windows as a trail home.

The ambulance man told a friend, Nigel, that his vet had said that if a cat was lost it is good to let the other cats out so they can create scent trails home but because of injury I haven't wanted to keep getting up to let them out and in, so have kept them in.

At least I'm not moving in a month, so no panic. Fred went missing at old area for 10 days and came home.
I've moved to the other side of Birmingham so it would be hard for him to know the way back to old area. (Moved from Selly Oak to South Yardley.)

Thanks for all the help, will put it into practise when healed. Must complain to council about uneven paving slabs, they're really bad here.

Oh, and yes Fred is microchipped.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:32:11 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
So sorry and wondering about news too :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
Any good news?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 17:47:44 PM »
HippyKitty  :hug: how very worrying for you, especially after having lost Pebbles so recently. I do hope that Fred comes home, safe and sound, soon.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 14:43:28 PM »
Sorry to hear he hasn't come home yet. It might be worth ringing about the local vets and rescues in case anyone takes him in. Is he chipped?

Definitely get the posters out, it can't hurt!

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 14:03:29 PM »
Put up the posters and go round door knocking and ask for all outbuildings to be searched. So sorry this has happened....... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

This is gill by the way!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 13:07:07 PM »
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that Fred hasn't returned  :(  How far away have you moved, is it possible that his feral instincts may have led him to try and make a return there?  I hope not, and hope that he's just hanging out somewhere in the neighbourhood enjoying being outside.  Do you have an outbuilding or something where you could put a one-way catflap so that if he (or any of the others I suppose) go in, they can't get back out again?  So you could see if he is hanging around the area? 

Everything crossed that he returns soon, and big hugs to you.  I remember when Geoffrey went missing for a day once I was climbing the walls with worry, so I know how awful you must be feeling xxx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
Thanks Blue Rabbit. He's still not home and is nowhere to be seen. A couple of friends are coming over shortly to help me search for him in the local neighbourhood. The other cats have been out again today and all returned after a couple of hours exploring the local gardens. They kept popping back to reassure themselves that home was still here.

I'm starting to be very worried. Fred hasn't been fed since thursday night and must be very hungry unless someone else is feeding him or he's caught his own food. It's really windy and nasty today, the others are sitting by the radiators enjoying the heat.

Too soon really to start printing leaflets so will just search the area.
Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:57:17 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 20:04:56 PM »
Firstly, and most importantly, try not to worry! As much as these feline critters are our furry babies, they are first and foremost hunters and Fred's natural instinct will be kicking in like billio. Fred's probably having a good old explore and has forgotten about the worry he's causing he's beloved human! All you can do for the moment is rattle his food or treats out the front and back (great idea about the poo btw!) and wait for him to come home. If he's not back tomorrow, then start asking around, getting posters ready and such.

Hope he comes back soon!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Fred gone missing first time out of new house!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 19:34:04 PM »
After nearly 3 months of being confined to the new house, I decided to let the cats go out for the first time today. They're ex-ferals and used to being indoor-outdoor cats, normally with a cat flap. I have a flap for them, but haven't yet had it installed. I have french windows leading into the garden from the lounge. This afternoon I knew I'd be in the lounge for a while, sorting out the plan for the work to be done to the house - I like making lists! The cats were showing an interest in the garden on one of the rare dry days we've had. They hadn't been fed since the previous evening, so I had a mad brainwave  :Crazy: Why not open the doors into the garden and let them out for a few hours?

Which I did.
All except Fred were a bit wary, going to the door, looking out, then backing off. Fred just went through them immediately.
The others then played pusscat yo-yo as they went down the garden for a quick explore, then ran back to the house. This went on for a few hours.
When dusk drew in, I thought about ending this first session of freedom and called them in. They didn't all return at once, but soon everyone was home except Fred. I looked from the upstairs windows into nearby gardens and he was nowhere to be seen.

I rattled munchies, called him, but nothing. No Fred. I noticed that the elderly couple next door were home so I went to see them partly to warn them that the tribe were finally loose (he's a twitcher) and to ask them if they'd seen Fred. They know Fred from having seen him sitting on the window sill. While there, I saw an almost identical cat to Fred except that he didn't have a tail; I've seen him around before.

It's now several hours later, everyone but Fred is home. I'm keeping the french window curtains undrawn incase he puts his nose up at them. I've secretly spread poo from the litter tray around the periphery of the garden to give him the scent of home.

Does anyone have other suggestions? The others have been fed now. Fred must be starving and cold. He's been used to the warmth of a central heated house for three months (the old house was much colder, not having central heating) so I would imagine cold and hunger would drive him home.

Any suggestions for anything else I can do in these particular circumstances? I know all the usual ways of searching for a missing cat, having lost Pebbles a month before the move (I've come to the conclusion that he was killed somehow); but a cat having gone out of a new house for the first time....any special thing I can do to bring him home?

Sorry for the long post.

:thanks:

Link to CatChat