Author Topic: kitten food??  (Read 1776 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: kitten food??
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 18:24:07 PM »
I've struggled to get kittens to accept kitten food when there's the adult version available - ended up taking almost all of it to my local rescue.

The kittens that occasionally pass through here are all slightly older, (4 months +) so are fine to eat adult food, and they seem to like the James Wellbeloved dry varieties.

Bought in bulk these work out very price savvy  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
Applaws do a kitten food.  Although to begin with I would stick with what he's already eating and transition to whatever you choose gradually. 

I have fed my cats on kitten food up until neutering but I'm not totally convinced of the need.  After all, there's no kitten mouse in the wild!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
I would give kitten food as they need the calories for all that growing and racing around!

We gave ours Felix, but whatecer they are used to. I know the rescue I help with just uses whatever has been donated!!!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
We settled on feline fayre as its the one that makes bella smell least (the smell when she was on whiskas  :sick: ) and what she will eat. Funnily enough she'll eat anything when she visits the neighbours. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:40 AM »
I would give what he is used to at the rescue cos its so easy to upset their tummys.

If you then want to change do it very slowly.

Nothing wrong with Felix or Whiskers, they have everything needed in them.

Everyone cant afford fancy food and often its too rich for many cats.............mine wont eat any of the higher priced brands.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 23:57:24 PM »
Kitten food is necessary when kits are very little and weaning, because they grow so much in the first three months. After that, putting them on adult food should be fine as long as it's good quality like Applaws. Feline Fayre isn't great imo BUT it's far better than Whiskas or Felix.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 22:17:37 PM »
She might not be on kitten food as the rescue Buffy and Xander came from said they didn't think it was necessary. I did get them off the whiskas as soon as possible   onto a better quality food. I use applaws as they both seem to like it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 22:01:48 PM »
My Bengallys Quaver and Minstrel are on Applaws dried kitten food and are FAGAIL as is their big brother Sergai who is 7 months
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
kitten food??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 18:19:40 PM »
trying to be prepared for our kitten next weekend and have started looking at kitten food as it feels like ages since we've bought any. Going to buy some that she's already eating but am reading conflicting information about the need for kitten food online. Bella mainly has applaws dry food and feline fayre wet food which she loves. What kitten food do you recommend, is it better to keep her on kitten food or can she just have adult food??? 

Link to CatChat