Author Topic: Lost my 7 month old cat last week :(  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Lost my 7 month old cat last week :(
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:14 AM »
Catemamma, how are you doing?   Thinking about you, and sending you a hug.   :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 14:22:50 PM »
So sorry Emma :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have lost two cats in this way over the past 30 years

Thinking about you :hug:

RIP beautiful boy :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 14:09:59 PM »
I'm so sorry for your Loss  :'(
RIP Ollie
You will Never forget Him  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Catemma21

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 23:16:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. Hopefully with time I will start to feel better. Although the pain is not beginning to ease at the moment. Planted some lovely daffodils on Ollies grave yesterday
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 23:17:28 PM by Catemma21 »

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 23:10:50 PM »
What a beautiful little lad he was.

So, so, sorry to hear this news.  We have lost a cat suddenly and too young last January and can understand what you feel.  Feeling guilty and sad is normal, and it will ease with time.  Do not blame yourself, you gave Ollie lots of love and happiness - that is a gift beyond price.

Rest peacefully, little Ollie, you were dearly loved.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 21:22:41 PM »
how sad, he was so handsome. Maybe when you feel ready to get another cat you could make a cat run for your garden or just keep them as an indoor cat. So many cats are lost on the road its a devastating thing to happen :(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 20:40:46 PM »
So sorry for your loss Emma  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Ollie  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 19:49:34 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear about the death of the lovely Ollie  :hug: :hug: :hug:  Over the years I have lost a number of cats including two around a year old to the road. Their loss whatever their age or the circumstances of their death is always devastating, but when they are young it seems more cruel, and they all leave a hole in your lives far larger than their physical presence.

There is no right or wrong length of time before thinking about or getting another feline companion, the unique cat that was Ollie can never be replaced, but giving a home to a needy cat will certainly take the 'dullness' away and will probably help to mend your broken heart.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 16:51:12 PM »
It's a devastating experience. 

Mac was a day short of his first birthday when we lost him.  He had gone out in the bright golden dawn of a fresh May morning.  I kissed him as we'd snuggled in bed.  Felt his beautiful fur beneath my fingers.  I left home at 6 am.  By 7.30 I had a call to say he was dead.  Hit by a car about 300 yards from our home.

Around 16 months later, our beautiful Ross had been wrestling with Tinks, playfully and joyously at 6 pm.   By 7 pm I was at the veterinary hospital, where he'd been taken by a good Samaritan.  He'd been hit at the very same place we'd lost Mac.  I can't begin to tell you how that felt.

I don't mean to sound unfeeling here, but I will tell you what helped the healing process in each case, and that was to get out there and open our hearts and our home to another deserving cat.  It wouldn't be for everyone.  And I did feel a bit disloyal getting Moray not 4 days after losing Ross, but losing myself in looking after and caring for another vulnerable rescue kitten distracted me initially - in quite a cool, detached way.  But the love was quick to follow, and flooded in.

And I know neither Mac nor Ross would have begrudged our little scrap an ounce of that emotion.  Far from it.

My advice to you, harsh though it may sound, is get right back out there and offer a home to another needy cat.  It will give you comfort and a focus.  There are many enough who need a place of safety, and you're capable of much love.  Don't withhold it from a misplaced sense of guilt.  You can make a huge difference to another cat in need, and far from diminishing Ollies memory, you'll be raising a salute to it.  Trust me.   :hug:

Offline Catemma21

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 16:33:47 PM »
I really do hope that I start to feel better soon. It's horrible feeling like this. I miss him terribly. My house is so dull without him and he was my only pet :(. Has anyone else lost a car at a similar age or in a similar way?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 15:08:51 PM »
Its still very early days and it could take a long time. Its different for everyone and you have tp ass through all the stages of gried, about 6 of them  :hug: :hug:

Offline Catemma21

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 15:05:24 PM »
Still absolutely heartbroken. Feels like my mind is playing tricks on me. I wake up lost mornings still expecting to see him. When will I feel better? He should still be here with me :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 13:51:58 PM »
so sorry :(   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 17:51:38 PM »
He's beautiful Emma.  Very beautiful.   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 15:49:28 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this sad news  :hug: :hug:

RIP Ollie play hard on the Bridge

Sue is so right and also Kay and I have a young birman who is only allowed out in the garden in a walking jacket and lead under supervision and still he has managed to get out of the garden when my eyes were closed!

I have a minor road at fromt which is like a main road its so busy and would have lost him to a car immediately if allowed out. Its not even safe at back any more!

Guilt is also a stage in the grieving pciallyrocess which you have to go through to finish grieving and its very early days for you.

We all understand so much how hard it is when you lose a cat no matter what age or why but especially a very young cat makes it worse.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Catemma21

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 15:14:07 PM »
Aww thank you everyone. It really does mean a lot. I cherished every moment I spent with Ollie and he was spoilt rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope that in time my sadness will lessen. Although now my feelings of sadness are still very strong. I have attached a picture of Ollie if you would like to see him :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 13:20:50 PM »

Emma  :hug: :hug:  Am so sorry treasure.  My heart goes out to you, it really does. 

As Kay has already said, many of us on Purrs know only too well what you're experiencing now - the hurt, the grief and the guilt over Ollie's loss.

We've lost two of our healthy, happy and vibrant young cats to the road in the last two years and it's devastating.  I've wept many bitter tears over their loss.

However, I do want to say - and it's a heartfelt plea - please don't get sucked up into the blame game over this.  It's very easy to say "what if" and "If only" but no matter what we do, we can't keep our cats 100% safe from all of life's ills and dangers.  We have certain decision calls to make about how our cats get to live their lives with us, and none of them are a clear cut "right" or "wrong."

When it comes down to it, cats are wild creatures, and whilst many adapt happily to an indoor only life, others do not.  There has been much heart-searching and soul-searching of our members as to which is the best way to deal with our cats' love of freedom, and each of us has to find our own compromise.

Personally, if I could cat proof our garden and my OH could be persuaded to agree with me, I'd keep my cats as indoor/outdoor but with the limit of their ability to roam being the confines of our garden.

Having said that, our previous cat Paddy (the one in my avatar) had a full 20 years roaming wherever and whenever he wanted, and at that time, we lived close to a busy main road and a busy metro line (I must've been out of my mind, but Paddy bless his paws was a sensible soul, and kept himself out of trouble for that whole 20 years).

I have friends who have indoor cats who are perfectly happy living as indoor cats, but even so, one of them has only recently had the devastating news one of her four year old cats is diabetic, and she struggles to deal with medicating him.

Some cats who live indoors end up almost out of their minds because they dont have the stimulation they need, and they hate the captivity.

It's not easy to predict in advance what a cat will respond to best from us - although sometimes there are clues there, which can help us to detect the kind of cat we may be signing up to - have a look at this link, which gives some useful indicators:

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/cat-types

We can only minimise the dangers - we can never eradicate them altogether. 

You won't feel like doing so now, but Ollie shared 7 months of his all too short life with you, and reading between the lines of your post, they were happy and fulfilled days.  Honour that joy that he felt, and be glad that whilst it was short, it was something he lived to the fullest, and you were actively making his days and nights happy ones.  He had a loving, comfortable home to come back to, and the love you gave to him was returned in equal measure.  That's his legacy.  :hug:

That's the gift you gave each other.  :hug:  Whenever we love, we invest.  When we invest there'll always be a day when we're called to account - and usually far sooner than we would want or expect.

It's a wonderful part of the human condition that even knowing there's an inevitability of loss, we are -  in the main - willing to hazard ourselves, because the rewards of loving are much more than the act itself.

Ollie had a life, and Ollie had your love.  Keep hold of that love, and keep hold of his memory.  In time, you'll feel able to move forward without the pain being uppermost.  Let the good memories sustain you.

If it's any consolation, most of us who've had our hearts broken in this way have gone on to share our lives with cats again.  I take neither of ours for granted, but I am thankful for every single day I have with them, however long or short that may be.  I'm learning better how to live in the moment.   Still got a way to go though. 

Sweet Ollie - thinking of you, sweetheart.  When you can, send your Mum a rainbow, eh? 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:03:43 AM »
I'm so sorry, Emma - many of  us, including me, have lost young cats to the road, and it is devasting

when it happened to me I had part of my back garden enclosed to keep future cats in, and that has worked out really well, and given great peace of mind
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Catemma21

• Kitten
Lost my 7 month old cat last week :(
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

My 7 month old cat Ollie got killed on the road outside my house on Christmas Eve. I am absolutely devastated. He loved going outside and always came back. At first we started letting him out for little periods. But at night we used to put him out before we went to bed and put the cat flap on in only. But Christmas Eve morning he wasn't in. That's when my dad found him outside my house. He was a lovely cat and I miss him so much. Has anyone been through similar? My other cat had to be out down at 13 years although I was devastated, I could rationalise it as he had had a very good life. But with Ollie his life has been cut short. Now I'm thinking if only I had kept him as an indoor cat this wouldn't have happened

Link to CatChat