Author Topic: Urgent homes needed for Tortoiseshell ladies in North East Area (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
As there has been no updates I'll move this to sorted section now.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline VivienneB

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Milly and Martha
Re: Urgent homes needed for Tortoiseshell ladies in North East Area
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
Thank you for your advice guys I will try some of your suggestions. The cats are now in a short term placement which will give us longer to look for forever homes x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Had a look on Drifters site this morning - their sister site Westgate Ark have an advertisement similar to yours for a lady looking to rehome her parents cats urgently.  I would try them again.

Also, if you were willing to take the cats to one of the rescues there may be a far greater prospect of them agreeing to take them, rather than turning you away by phone, but please only do this if everything else fails - travelling may well stress the cats out.

Helping Pets also use fosterers which is a possibility.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Hi Vivienne, here is a list of rescues in the North East, there may be some you've not tried:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/tynewear.html

It's best to go through a rescue than rehome to someone you don't know because they will ensure the cats go to loving homes, and do home checks etc.  When you contact the rescues do explain how urgent your situation is, and if they are full please ask to go on their waiting lists because the sooner you do that the sooner they'll get a home.  It would help if your parents can keep them a while longer, or if trusted family or friends could foster them for a while, just until a rescue space becomes available.  Also you could ask for a 'direct rehoming' which is where the rescue finds the cats a home, whilst they are still in your care - that can be a better option for the rescue if they are full, and also for the cats.
Best of luck.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline VivienneB

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 23:30:53 PM »
Thank you for your advice Sue P. Sadly we have tried all of the listed charities and they are full to the brim with unwanted cats. Some of them are also reluctant to take cats of their age.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 14:47:37 PM »
I do hope you are able to find someone to look after your ladies.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 13:32:35 PM »
Vivienne - Am not sure whereabouts you are in the north east, but these charities may be able to  help you to rehome your parents cats.

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk/contactus.php

http://www.driftersreach.org.uk/

HELPING PETS (NORTH-EAST) • Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Covering: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside, Cramlington
CONTACT - Email: mail@helpingpets.org.uk

There is also the Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter in Benton, who may take the cats if you really have no other alternatives. 

Offline VivienneB

• Kitten
Both cats are 12 years old and are neutered and chipped. They are sisters and have been together since birth. Both cats are house cats and are litter trained.  The cats would be more suited  to a quiet home without young children, however, they do get on with dogs. My parents are currently unable to look after the cats due to my mother’s failing health. She is 75, disabled and has COPD. My father is 85 and his mobility is also failing. There is no one else in the immediate family who could take the cats. Unfortunatly these ladies will be put to sleep should they not find homes :scared:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:25:51 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat