Author Topic: 2 year old female black long-haired needing new home in Tameside, Manchester (remaining with owners)  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 ;D Hiya, thanks for the update.  Heidi is clearly very well loved - and knows it  :hug:

I will move this thread to sorted section now.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
 :welcome: back,

So pleased Heidi is staying with you ... it certainly sounds like she wants to be there.  Sorry to hear abut your daughter, but good news that she is repsonding to her treatment.

I'm sure you will find in time your partner may start to become less allergic to Heidi.  People do build up immunity to cats they are in regular contact with, I know it sounds silly but I live with 4 cats and have no allergic reaction to them at all.  However as soon as I visit my partents who only have 2 cats I start sneezing, itchy eyes, sore throat etc. 

Many thanks for the update
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Caranoonoo

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Heidi
Hi everyone. I'm so sorry I've not updated on Heidi! The last 12 months has been rather stressful as my daughter started with epilepsy! thankfully she has responded well to anti epileptic medication!

A year later we still have Heidi with us! We tried to rehome her with a couple who went on holiday 2 weeks after adopting her, leaving her outside! We found her 3 weeks later in a sorry state  so we took her home and in April tried to rehome her with my brother but she ran off and we couldn't find her! Eventually months on she amazingly found her way home to us, matted fur but obviously been fed by people, and has been here since ! This is obviously where she is meant to be so we are no longer looking for a new home for her. My partner is taking antihistamines again and Heidi is banned from bedrooms as both his and my daughters allergies seem worse at night but there is no way we can go through another rehome, she's here to stay xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Any news please?

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Hi and   :welcome:  to the forum

Love the pic of Heidi she has obviously been well looked after

good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Hello and  :welcome: to Purrs.

It's very sad, but JaneyK has given you great advice I thought I'd top up with some handy tips to get you through until she is re-homed in relation to allergies.

I've tried numerous things here, and will only mention those that have worked best for me -

starting with our best defence which is

the Dyson Pet vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter - utterly brilliant, don't forget to wash the filer though.

Then the Pets at Home anti-allergen wipes - wipe the pet daily and your hands after handling her and the effects of the dander are very much reduced. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/allergy-relief-pet-wipes-15-pack-by-petkin-%28online-only%29-105201

Introduce anti-allergic cleaning fluid range Petal Cleanse into your everyday life. Use this to wipe down surfaces close to the baby as well as on your skin and wiping down the cat with damped tissue. Separate formulas for each task but very effective! I bought the PaH wipes (above) then re-use them refreshed with a spritz of PetalCleanse

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bio-Life-Cleanse-Anti-Allergen-Furnishings-Fabrics/dp/B003MA1VU8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1353510208&sr=8-5

I recommended this lot to my neighbour whose son was allergic to their cat and his allergies have now vanished completely. They managed to keep their cat in the end.  :)

This might seem too obvious, sorry but if your cat is tending to sleep in the child's bed it might be worth investing in a door spring to ensure the baby's bedroom door stays closed at all times.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi and welcome.   Sorry you're having to rehome your cat.  Have you contacted any rescues in your area, if not here's a list:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lancs.html

It's usually best to go through a rescue so proper checks are done and the right type of home found.  Rescues will probably say they are full so you'd need to ask to go on their waiting list.  Some will do a 'direct homing' which is where the rescue helps find the home whilst the cat remains with you, that might be a better option?

Best of luck!

Offline Caranoonoo

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Heidi
Hi all! I have a beautiful 2 year old cat in need of a new home! Heidi is a black domestic long-hair who has been spayed and is chipped. We are devastated to have to rehome her, my partner has suffered with his allergies for 3 years now which he has been happy to do so we didn't  have to rehome Heidi. However our 3 month old has taken after him, so much so that sometimes she can't breathe out of her nose and her eyes get red. I know heidi was here before my daughter but i hope you can appreciate that I really don't want to give antihistamine to her at her age.

Heidi loves to go outdoors, coming in to eat and sleep! She doesn't need a litter tray but does use one if one is available to her (eg when we moved and didn't let her out for a few days) she is in perfect health but does need regular grooming to prevent matts. She does not get on well with dogs and is very bossy with cats but she adores older children. If interested families have babies please bare in mind she loves Moses baskets and beds :-) she is currently on a mixed diet of wet and dry food.

She must go to a forever home, and we would deliver her to the new owner so we know where she is going to. She comes with her vet record book and her xmas stocking with her name on she has every year (crying as i write ) We are not selling Heidi. We want a loving home but ask that the new owner please make a donation to the animal charity of their choice.

Please message me for contact details x
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 16:44:35 PM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat