Author Topic: Cat Flu help!  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Re: Cat Flu help!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 00:28:36 AM »
ACV was meant to be as well as AB drops but i was unsure so just kept to good old fashioned tlc. My senior cat Licky has his T4 check up (thyroid) this week so going to get him full checked over
 He is vaccined but wanna be safe and get him sorted early. He seems to have kept his space from Sugar. He just tolarates him.Haha. It seems to of done him good. Xxx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 00:06:30 AM »
Am so pleased that Sugar is so much better and very much hope he continues that way  :)  It could have been a lot worse and glad he has AB drops for his eyes which I feel will help him more that ACV would.

The fact that he is playing hopefully means he out of the woods and well on the road to recovery  :) :) :)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 23:58:25 PM »
You do not put the apple cider on the cats eyes.

I was told you dilute a teaspoon in water and dab a cotton wool amount between the shoulder blades. It was suggested. I havw not tried it abd wondered if any had. Sugsr is very active today. Still snotty bit breathing thru his nose again with a little whistle has he does. He has been playing laser pen. Been awake all day apart from a littke nap at 3pm and found the time to explore under the new bed. His personally is back so it wont be long now. He has antibioitic eye drop and i clean them all the time. Xxxxx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 23:47:33 PM »
Infections should be treated with anti biotics. 

I have googled and haven't found one reliable source indicating that apple cider vinegar is a good treatment for an eye infection altho there are many references that I would not trust with my cats' eyes  :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 15:38:57 PM »
Cat Flu is horrible  :hug: :hug:  Our vet gave Bob and the others AB jabs to help fight any resulting infection.

Congestion is the enemy you have to throw everything at.  Bisolven is brilliant as long as he is eating altho, even if he stops, you can always rub it on his gums.  I was going to mention the shower trick but see you have that covered. 

Another trick I learned when Bobby had flu in July/Aug 2012 was to use Olbas oil.  Obviously it must never touch the cat!  I placed Bob in his carrier, closed door with a towel draped over it.  I then put a few drops of Olbas oil in a bowl full of boiling water, put cling film over the top of bowl and made a few small holes in the cling film allowing steam to come out.  I placed this outside the carrier at cage door end under the towel and left him for 20 mins.  Also put drops of Olbas oil on a tissue in his room out of reach.

A little vaseline was applied to his nose when it got sore. 

The small hours of the morning are generally worse I found and panic sets in when they stop eating.  If he stops eating I would thoroughly recommend liquivite (get from vet) with a little boiling water added to warm it a little.

Have a look at this for more info and download the document.  Know your enemy  :hug: :hug: :hug: 

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1959-2765/cat-flu.html

Our Bobby was fully vaccinated btw so don't beat yourself up on that score  :hug:  Obviously need to get him sorted when he is over this.  Sending every good wish.

Did the vet tell you about apple cider vinegar?  I haven't heard of that.

The apple cider was online and also the vet assistant mentioned it to try as it help clear up eye infections (which he has)

Today he woke up very bright eyed. Had a little play and ate his normal cat food. He has also been meowing at the door which he hasnt since being ill. So things look more positive. I rung the vets for advice again and she said as long as he is eating and drinking then she wont give him anything. He seems very bright within himself and stared to be more affectionate toward us again. He is very strong and brave so i will continue what we are doing and fingers crossed he will be set for next week. Vet said she will check him over on tuesday to see how he is and then go for there. I know there is worse off animals so i understand that if we can prevent a vet appointment it will give a poor one a better chance to see one. Of course id take him if in pain or struggling but he is eating and dtinking. Love him to bit and he will be grtting vaccines when better, just ashame he go it just before he was mention to. Thank you. Xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »
Cat Flu is horrible  :hug: :hug:  Our vet gave Bob and the others AB jabs to help fight any resulting infection.

Congestion is the enemy you have to throw everything at.  Bisolven is brilliant as long as he is eating altho, even if he stops, you can always rub it on his gums.  I was going to mention the shower trick but see you have that covered. 

Another trick I learned when Bobby had flu in July/Aug 2012 was to use Olbas oil.  Obviously it must never touch the cat!  I placed Bob in his carrier, closed door with a towel draped over it.  I then put a few drops of Olbas oil in a bowl full of boiling water, put cling film over the top of bowl and made a few small holes in the cling film allowing steam to come out.  I placed this outside the carrier at cage door end under the towel and left him for 20 mins.  Also put drops of Olbas oil on a tissue in his room out of reach.

A little vaseline was applied to his nose when it got sore. 

The small hours of the morning are generally worse I found and panic sets in when they stop eating.  If he stops eating I would thoroughly recommend liquivite (get from vet) with a little boiling water added to warm it a little.

Have a look at this for more info and download the document.  Know your enemy  :hug: :hug: :hug: 

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1959-2765/cat-flu.html

Our Bobby was fully vaccinated btw so don't beat yourself up on that score  :hug:  Obviously need to get him sorted when he is over this.  Sending every good wish.

Did the vet tell you about apple cider vinegar?  I haven't heard of that. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:38:18 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 19:43:43 PM »
Forget cider apples or what ever ask the vet for Bisolven cos that will help to get rif of the congestion.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 15:56:25 PM »
I seem to remember we used Friar's Balsam when our kitten had cat flu. That was 20 years ago now though. We used some kind of burner and it seemed to help her breath easier.   

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 15:06:32 PM »
Yes Bisolven is the stuff.............I had two elderly cats with flu and the vet gave me this for them. The vet will also give an ab injection just in case and 6 months is very young to have this...........arent they jabbed?

He only recently got him and was booked for vaccine and neuter but had to cancel til he recovers. He doesnt like going outside really. Only the garden about three times.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 15:04:22 PM »
Weve been the vets who gave us eye drops for his sore eyed and said to let him rest and he will get over it as nothing really she can do. I was told apple cider vineager on his neck works but i can only find cider vineager and wanna make sure i grt the right one. I am considering taking him back as he is congestdd and it scares me. His eye has massively improved and its day 5. The vet said 7-10days for hin to fully recover and thigs are looking positive. He is eating littke abd often, mainly smelly food like sardines, tuna and cat food warmed up. Also got him kitten milk and warming that up in the evening. We made him a little bix woth fleece blanket and heat pad. If there is anything i can do or give then please suggest. Tried the shower stream trick and itdhim sneezing but now its all snotty and in his chest. Hehas been sleeping next to me on sofa and wont let anyone touch him but me. He will headbutt and follow a laserpen for a bit. So i know he is really trying. Bless him. He is my little baby. Xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 14:59:12 PM »
Yes Bisolven is the stuff.............I had two elderly cats with flu and the vet gave me this for them. The vet will also give an ab injection just in case and 6 months is very young to have this...........arent they jabbed?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 14:36:40 PM »
Bisolven is the stuff you want and a visit to the vets wouldn't do any harm either
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 13:39:35 PM »
He needs something to help the congestion  and I have bloomin forgotten what its called........it comes in a small packets and you just use a pinch on the food every day so a sachet lasts a while. you can get it from your vet.

pn tip of tongue..........disolven or something...........come on help me out people!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Poor little chap! I hope that he is soon back to normal  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
as long as it doesn't stop him eating that is all you can do really, if he stops take him back to the vet otherwise it should pass

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
Cat Flu help!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
My 6month kitten has cat flu, his eye is all red and swell which is conjuitvitis and i got drops for it. He is sneezing all the time, breathing through his mouth and just generally fluy. Someone suggested apple cider vineagar on his neck but i can only find cider vineagar in the shops, is that the same stuff? Vet said to just keep him warm and make sure he is eating and drinking. Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions to help him recover better as he is really suffering and its hard to just sit and watch.  :scared:

Link to CatChat