Author Topic: Neighbour told me not to touch her cats  (Read 13078 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Neighbour told me not to touch her cats
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
Thanks guy's, and thanks for that Slugsta, I'll let her know
I will keep you all updated when I hear some news
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 20:29:19 PM »
Poor little Tiggy. Here's hoping he recovers quickly.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 17:15:44 PM »
Poor little chap! I do hope that he makes a good recovery. My Chivvy was 2 when he was run over, lost his back leg and broke his jaw in 2 places, but made a full recovery and lived to be 19!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 21:54:12 PM »
Poor Tiggy. Vibes from me and our bunch coming his way.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 15:38:36 PM »
Oh Stuart - am so sorry for the brave little guy

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 14:49:13 PM »
So terrible

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 13:50:31 PM »
 :( poor little soul  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
Tiggy was run down middle of last week, He was the one that always came to me  :(
someone picked him off the road and took him to the local vet's (that was good of them)
that was how my neighbour found out because he is micro chipped, He is still in a bad way tho
His jaw was snapped in half and his pelvis was crushed  :'( I think he goes back to Aberdeen today
to have another operation, this is because of nerve damage to his back end, the still don't know if
his foot will have to be amputated or his whole leg  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 19:36:44 PM »
That made me laugh

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 14:20:05 PM »

Ah - chickens can be very tricky beasts, especially when roasted.   :shify: :shify: :evillaugh:

:rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:16 AM »

Ah - chickens can be very tricky beasts, especially when roasted.   :shify: :shify: :evillaugh:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »
Glad you were able to advise your neighbour Stuart! Sounds like she loves her kitties, just needed a bit of help & tips  :) :)

Ohh nooo....none of mine (bar Evie who still climbs up my back like a kitten would, to get to whatever delights might be waiting for her on the worktop) EVER go on my kitchen worktop.....

Until i suddenly appeared outside the kitchen window one day to find Nuggie, shameless as you like looking out of the kitchen blinds. I'm sure he actually whispered  :censored: under his breath and spookily had the same expression as this smilie --->  :shify:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and once a full roast chicken slid itself off a plate, down the front of the microwave, skidded along the worktop and smeared down my cupboard fronts right into the Paws of Nuggie & Taz.....who has it happens, were just innocently walking by, with empty bellies, minding their own........:rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
What are you saying about my lovely babies. They wouldn't do such a thing  :shify: Well I haven't found any oko cat litter up there yet and that's usually the give away.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
Carol's baby is nearly two yes she can walk, but I have seen Elmo and Tiggy walking around her and they aren't bothered by her
Like I told Carol, the first time Elmo was caught red handed doing a pooh was when they went away for a holiday and Carol had
put Tigg's and Elmo to Her sisters to stay, I told her that, that in itself could have triggered the accident as Elmo had been
removed from a familiar environment and stuck in a strange one  :shocked:
Carol didn't know this, hope she has read the link that Sheila put up now

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
Yup...cats are smart enough not to go where you tell them not to....when you're around. ;) They then do whatever they want when you're in bed/out buying their food...... ;)

Stuart, how old is the little one? Could there be a link between the small human and sudden inappropriate toileting? Are they old enough to toddle? I've not drank enough caffeine yet..... :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
I'm with huge, I always believed mine didn't get on the worktops in the kitchen, until I came down in the middle of the night once!

well done stuart for trying to educate her, we can only try

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 07:47:02 AM »
I'm sure I have Sue  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »

I suspect you've given her things to think about, Stuart.   :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:20 AM »
Yes I have, they are all clean again, Oh and she's going to have another baby
I heard her last night shouting them in, and yes I hope she takes the advice on board too  :shy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 00:22:38 AM »
Oh that makes me so angry and sad for these cats that she did that  :( Hope you are getting through to her Stuart - have you seen the cats since she did it?

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 18:41:01 PM »
 :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 18:31:40 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Peggy (RB)
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 17:27:26 PM »
I've trained my cats not to go on counter tops. They did it when they were younger but I picked them up and said no and put them on the floor it seems to have worked.
That's what they've trained YOU to believe :-P

Peggy 01/01/2001(approx) - 28/06/13
Peace at last.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 17:09:16 PM »
Most of my cats have been outdoors toileters except for one, who pee'd in the kitchen sink.  When I asked the vet his advice he told me it was a protest that her servants hadn't changed her commode enough.   :rofl:  Once I had done that she went back to using said 'commode' every time, she would even come in from outside to use her private toilet. 

Knowing cats as you all do it wouldn't surprise me if the two kitties took up a massive protest just the same against their servant.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 16:08:31 PM »
What an ignorant woman  >:(  Glad you said something, Stuart - lets hope it sinks in.

Mosi understands what no means but he steadfastly ignores it.  He refuses to budge no matter what I say or do until I go over to physically remove him from somewhere (usually when he's standing on something and swiping at a picture on the wall or something).  Then he jumps down because he knows I am going to pick him up and move him.  But then the minute I walk away he's back where he was  :innocent:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 16:04:04 PM »
Maybe I'm just lucky with mine but they are generally very well behaved and do seem to understand when you say no. I did have them from very small kittens though so that might have helped. None of our family cats were allowed on the kitchen counters and they seemed to understand.   

It's funny how people give animals human characteristics when they are doing something wrong. They are doing it out of revenge, to get attention, let them have one lot of kittens it's a shame for them not to have children etc but when it comes to rubbing their noses in poo, giving them away when they are tired of them.......  they suddenly become just animals without feeling.     

Yes, well done for saying something to her Stuart it's not easy in that situation.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 15:54:17 PM »
Well done Stuart and that woman needs a reality check!

Mine are allowed on one end of the working top so they can climb up and watch out of the window but I know Lupin galevants around when I am not looking!

No amount of training or no etc works with Lupin, he just closes his ears and blinks his eyes at me. then wags his tail hard and will swipe if I get close...................ok I shouldnt have shouted  :innocent:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 15:10:58 PM »
must confess I find it useful to feed on the worktop, so I can hover and stop Tosker getting anything fishy

I have found that the cats never walk across the glass chopping board, so at least my veggies remain uncontaminated
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 15:05:53 PM »

I must admit, neither Ross or Dickie access our counter tops.  They've never shown any inclination to get up on to them.  Paddy used to, as we used to feed him up there to stop the dog troughing his food, until he got too frail to jump up.   

I guess there are still a lot of people out there who beileve that's the way to "train" a cat.  I watched a "Cat from Hell"  programme once where a woman accused their cat of vomiting on her clothes to get "revenge."  :Crazy:  The poor cat was stressed to hell and back, and the vomiting was a stress response.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 14:14:42 PM »
yeah, she seemed a bit surprised when I told her that " you don't do that to them "  :-:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 14:02:48 PM »
I've trained my cats not to go on counter tops. They did it when they were younger but I picked them up and said no and put them on the floor it seems to have worked.

Oh my gosh you have "trained" your cats?  Well done is all I can say! 

Whenever I have tried to enforce any form of rules on my cats I just get "the look" (you will all know what "the look" is I am sure!)

Mine go wherever they like no matter what i tell them. They are all over the tables, windowsills and shelves although luckily they don't often go on the kitchen surfaces.

How ignorant of your neighbour rubbing a cat's nose in their poo Stuart, that is only going to make things worse.   

X
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 14:05:18 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 13:09:25 PM »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

Good on you Stuart.  It may take time to win her round, but I hope that you can.  :hug:  I dont get this obsession with counter tops.  If you keep them clean anyroad, what's the problem?  It's the same with litter trays - if you clean them regularly, then they shouldnt pose too much of a threat.

I grew up in a household where we always had animals, especially dogs.  Back then people weren't quite so obsessed about cleanliness, and as a kid I must've patted the dogs numerous times and still ended up eating sweets and licking sticky fingers that weren't washed in between times.  I came to no harm and I wasn't the only one....

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
Yeah  :(

I did go round to her house with Clumping cat litter ( Robbie doesn't use a tray and prefers the great outdoors ) I did
tell her that she shouldn't have rubbed them in it, but she was told that's what you do  :shocked: I explained in a nice
way that you wouldn't rub a bairns nose in it if they had an accident would you? well it's the same for cat's and dogs
especially cats coz they are very clean animals, she did go on about cat flaps so they can go outside when they want,
but she does not want them going on the kitchen counter for paw print's I said but if you are cooking etc, you always
clean the work tops anyway,,, some of my comments sound harsh, but I managed to get them across in a good way  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
I can't believe people still believe such things :Crazy: :doh: Hope she doesn't do the same to her child when it's being toilet trained.

I used to have this same argument with a work colleague who had a cat and a dog, both of whom were left to their own devices all day - at the finish because of inappropriate toileting, she locked the dog in the back yard, wind, hail or bitter snow, and the cat was only allowed in t he house when she was there (she wouldnt have a litter tray because they were "dirty").

Neither were neutered, so the dog frequently "escaped" and went out looking for top totty, risking life and limb crossing major roads in its journeyings.  The cat was the same, and regularly had abcesses from infected cat bites.    When she told me she'd punished their dog by rubbing its nose in the excrement I lost it.  I asked her if she'd do that to a child, and she looked thoroughly shocked, telling me scornfully "no, of course not!  Children can't help it." 

I could have decked her cheerfully.  I was glad when she left and I didnt have to hear her glib and painful excuses anymore for what was happening to her animals (as in:  "Can I have an extended lunch today to go and look for the dog - he got out this morning......" or "the cat's got another bite on his neck.  It happened about a week ago and now it's weeping all this smelly gunge and stuff - will it go away on it's own - I've been putting vaseline on it......."    :brick:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I can't believe people still believe such things :Crazy: :doh: Hope she doesn't do the same to her child when it's being toilet trained.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Thank's for that Sheila,

No no, this woman dote's on her cat's, they are still her babies, even tho she has a little human as well,
Like I said I was screaming inside going " NO NO NO!! "

she is on my Facebook page so I will send her a message with the link you gave, maybe that will enlighten her  ;)

I will probably mention Purrs at some point, but not while this post is still fresh on the board  :scared:  :evillaugh:

Thanks again  ;)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
She's already likely to have done the damage to the trust she has with those cats. It's a terrible thing to do to a cat and one of the most damaging Old Wives Tales around as it usually makes matters far worse, and in my book is mental torture for cats.

Pooing inappropriately is usually a response to some stressor or other: it may be a health problem with the cat itself, the arrival of the new baby may be the catalyst, or if the owners have been away on holiday, and if she's got any post-natal moodiness or tension the cats will be picking up on this.

It is NOT as dirty protest, cats don't work that way, it's simply a sign that something has gone wrong which needs to be corrected and punishment is never the solution.

New babies are sadly the biggest reason for previously well loved and cared for cats being abandoned. She needs to read up on some proper guidance, there is loads of it here on Purrs but I appreciate you may not wish to invite a moody neighbour to the forum, so possibly give her the fabcats new website address   http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/house-soiling

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Neighbour told me not to touch her cats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
I was out filling up the bird feeders when I heard my name being shouted out?
here was my next door neighbour asking me if I had seen Elmo or Tiggy? I said no, why?
well if you see them don't touch them because they are BOTH covered in SH*t  :shocked:
she went on to tell me that ONE of them had done a number two in the house, so BOTH
of them have had their noses rubbed in it  :doh: :sick:
screaming inside i was thinking " what the 'ell did you do that for? and that is one of the
most degrading thing's you can do to a cat! "  :(
instead I asked if she had two litter boxes? only one, but they have both used the same one
since the very start, I did tell her that as they get older, they do change, brother's or not
and it may be prudent to get another one

I was also trying to remember if the mishap may have been caused by a recent change in the house
but by that time she was going back inside

definitely an over reaction imho, but then she does have a 1 yr old baby too
any advice from you peeps to give her??

Link to CatChat