Author Topic: Cat Books - Recommendations and Posters' Opinions  (Read 5554 times)

Offline amethyst 28

• Kitten
Re: Cat Books - Recommendations and Posters' Opinions
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 07:10:26 AM »
I have read 2 Bob the street cat books which I enjoyed :wow:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
I just got a kids book from a Facebook auction (and no I dont have any kids.... :shify:)

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag, its a very short but sweet story, with some lovely illustrations  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
As others have mentioned: A cat called Norton - all three books.

My favourite writer of cat books has to be Tom Cox. He has now published three books about his cats - Under the paw, Talk to the tail, and the latest one, The good, the bad and the furry.

I also really enjoyed The cats of Moon cottage.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:36 AM »

Have just finished reading Jackson's Galaxy's Cat Daddy book.  What an uncompromising read.  I have the utmost respect for that guy. 

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
  • Jem Vanston, Author of 'A Cat Called Dog'
  • Slave to: Honey and Bumble
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
I'll check out Best Cat Stories - that seems my bag really! Though possibly I have read these stories anyway - Mark Twain's in in the Cat Anthology with pic by Ditz I mentioned. Old stories are all out of copyright of course (which is death plus 75 years) so that's one reason you can find these stories in so many places!

I meant to say Gobolina the Witch's Cat earlier (not Orlando).

I have so many cat books no (from car boot sales mostly) I have no time to read them all - especially as I am editing my own novel (a dark satire on TV - the one I put on hold to write and publish A Cat Called Dog). Any suggestions? Maybe I can put 30 hours in a day?

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 19:25:17 PM »
I recently read Best Cat Stories, it's stories about cats from famous authors like Mark Twain and Emile Zola.

I think my favourite cat book is "The Mousehole Cat" I love the pictures in that book and having lived in Cornwall for many years I know Mousehole very well.

I generally don't enjoy book or films about animals I find them too upsetting. I think I've said on here before 'Tom and Jerry' used to make me cry when I was a child. I hated seeing Tom hurt.   

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 14:52:45 PM »
A book I recently found is A Collection of Cats Tales - a cat-lover's anthology with paintings by Ditz from 1993. A beautifully produced book with various writings from cat lovers over the centuries.

I also like Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat.

I have just bought a Tom Cox book: Under The Paw.

I generally prefer fiction and humour rather than true life stories - some are way too schmaltzy for my tastes and there are so many out there now, especially since the success of Streetcat Named Bob.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »

Oh I definitely prefer humour.   :)  I have some wonderful cat anthologies that friends have bought me over the years, and I like reading about cats in history like Samuel Johnson's cat, Hodge ("A very fine cat indeed")

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! There's a few there I hadn't heard of.

I suppose one pays one's money and takes one's choice: some people love the emotional true life stories, the more sentimental type books; others want fiction and comedy (me); others like picture books. Room for everyone and everything really.

I do remember the children's picture book Mog the cat from Judith Kerr I think (The Tiger who came to Tea); and Orlando the Witch's Cat (right title?)

I also love certain representations of cats in films: just go Pinocchio out of our DVD club, and the silent Figaro cat in that moves utterly perfectly for a cat, and responds and reacts just as a young cat would too. Delightful!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »

Oh Gawd Jo - I wish you hadn't done that Incredible Journey thing.  We still go on and on about it in our house.  "The Bodger Moment" we call it.   It's guaranteed to set my hubby off and me not far behind  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  There should be a law about it!  :shify:

I love Derek Tangye's Minack Chronicles - he was a guy who originally didn't really like cats.  And we all know how that can end.....   They may be a bit hard to get hold of now, as I remember reading them in the early 70's, but I bet if you hunt about, you may be able to come across some pre-loved copies.  Heartwarming true life tales of sharing his life with a series of cats. 

A Cat Called Birmingham (hilariously funny) - and of course A Street Cat named Bob which is a hugely moving book. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 17:21:59 PM »
Oh yes, The Incredible Journey was a childhood favourite and I enjoyed A Streetcat Named Bob.

I also enjoyed 'Cleo; the cat who mended a family' although I did sob myself into a migraine at the end  :-[

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 16:56:21 PM »
Deric Longden's books for me, every time
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »
Homers Odyssey. I love that book. And A cat called Norton; all of them. Also A cat called Birmingham, You can take the cat out Slough....I could go on. :)

I don't believe I've read yours. :) I'll look it up.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
A Streetcat Named Bob is the one I've read most recently. Also loved A Cat Called Norton, The Cat Who Came for Christmas and Paw Tracks in the Moonlight.

They're all true stories about cats who came (pretty much accidentally in all of them) into people's lives and the impact they had on them.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
More of a cat and dog book - The Incredible Journey. It was given to me when I was 12 years old (rather a long time ago now) and I read it first while on the ferry to Sydney (from Hobart). Sobbed my little heart out. Even now if I want a good cry I read that last chapter where Tao comes bounding out of the woods, Luath close behind and they all start walking back to the cabin sadly, thinking Bodger failed to make the journey (look, I am tearing just talking about it), and then that distant bark ... quite the most moving story I have ever read...

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
Cat Books - Recommendations and Posters' Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
I went to the local car boot sale on Saturday and go 6 lovely cat books for £4.50 - including:

1) a 20 year old British Museum Book of Cats (which I was about to buy new anyway), and

2) a really lovely book called A Collection of Cat Tales - A Cat Lover's Anthology, Paintings By Ditz.

I had never heard of this book before but it is right up my alley - lots of extracts from literature accompanied by some really lovely illustrations.

I was wondering if posters here could suggest their favourite cat books. Of course, I am not going to mention my own book (which I obviously like, coz I'm biased!!!)

I do appreciate that everyone's different, and some people will likevery sentimental books, cutesy picture books or true-life books more than I do.

But I just thought I'd ask for others' opinions, just in case I have missed a book out there that I'd like, and so everyone here can share their thoughts so we all know what books are out there to choose from.

Link to CatChat