Author Topic: Was this person right?  (Read 12594 times)

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
Re: Was this person right?
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
It's so hard for the sanctuaries and rescue centres when there are so many cats and kittens who need homes.

Sally is such a pretty cat. I'm so pleased you could step in and take care of her.

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yogi, Daisy, Skye, Tiggy, Sally & Charlie
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 18:23:58 PM »
maybe she went missing looking for her kitten?  Glad she is okay now and has a lovely  home. Did the kitten survive? :(

It wasn't her kitten, she is neutered. The kitten was born to one of the feral cats who invaded her house through the cat flap once her owner went into hospital.

I'd love to know what happened to the kitten but I've not been able to find out.

Sally is settling in well, it is taking time for her to trust my existing cats, given her experiences with the ferals, but she is slowly coming to realise that her food, beds and her cuddle time are exclusively hers and is becoming more relaxed. She is such a loving little thing.  :Luv2:

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 14:19:52 PM »
Good on you, Yogidot for rescuing Sally (she shares my name by the way!).  I love black and white moggies as my Rainbow Bridge babe Gypsy was a black and white; as is my current cat Lucky.
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 14:02:48 PM »
maybe she went missing looking for her kitten?  Glad she is okay now and has a lovely  home. Did the kitten survive? :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 14:50:48 PM »
......... even if they couldn't take her I'm sure good advice and suggestions would have been offered to the elderly lady standing in front of them trying to deal with the death of her son............. And what broke my heart was the state she was in when she eventually showed up again after being missing for a week after these events took place. Poor little girl was covered in scratches from fights, was thin as a rake, had stopped grooming and had bad diarrhoea.

Sorry but, assuming you have put forward all relevant info, I agree with you that this was handled very badly and I am angry too on poor Sally's behalf.  A 13 year old cat being turfed out of her home to fend for herself when someone is only asking for her to be cared for for a few days.  Nope, it's not acceptable.  Neither of us were there though and there is usually at least two sides to the same story  :shy:  Could well be that rescue person was virtually certain that neighbour would step in and continue to care for her. 

Sally is a stunner btw and doesn't look a day over 2 years old  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 18:44:51 PM »
Thank you all for helping me work through this.  :thanks:

I very rarely get angry but the thought of the neighbours and family being told that putting a cherished pet out into the street to fend for herself was the right thing to do... well, you already know how I felt about it. I'm reconciled to the situation now, especially as not too much harm came to her while I was trying to reach her.  As you can imagine, I was beside myself with worry about what might happen to her before I could get there.

Her name is Sally and she is the sweetest most loving little thing. She was so very good on the long train journey home with me.  I'm hoping she will enjoy herself here once she is properly settled in.   :Luv2:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 18:11:12 PM »
It was wonderful you could step in but at the moment I know CP has branches closing down and the ones who are still coping with the ever increasing numbers have to make decisions that people won't and don't like

I know I have said no to a fair few ferals recently as we are at maximum numbers and I have sleepless nights thinking I could squeeze another one or 2 in but know in my heart it wouldn't be fair to the Clan we have several with illness - diabetics, hyperthyroid and my Calichii boy and I also have 3 Border Collies, work full time and do the Clan on my own the majority of the time as my OH works abroad

The ones in my care include several from various branches of CP as we were the only hope the ferals had

The other thing to remember is that the folks who run these branches are volunteers who also have day jobs and have to prioritise what needs help the most and also weigh up the vets bills and the likelihood of homing its is a very fine balancing act and one I stepped away from but am in the background doing trapping of ferals in my area and getting folks to feed them and all the stables now have ferals from me as I can't upset the balance of the ones who live in my garage and wendyhouse outside at their choice they are happy with their numbers and don't want newbies muscling in causing undue stress to them and my own mob who cohabit during day with them but are all in at night
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 17:40:01 PM »
She is lovely  :Luv2: well done for taking her on. Does she have a name?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 14:39:36 PM »
she is lovely and so lucky you could step in and help

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 14:33:52 PM »
Awww she's gorgeous! So pleased you've got her back home and she's responding. This is a huge deal for her and I'm sure she will repay you in full, and some.  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 14:11:51 PM »
Thanks sheilarose and Mymblesdaughter.  There was never any question that she would come to live with me, it was simply a matter of logistics to get her here.

I should have mentioned that it was one of the big nationals that this happened with, I'm sure that anyone here would have been a lot more helpful, even if they couldn't take her I'm sure good advice and suggestions would have been offered to the elderly lady standing in front of them trying to deal with the death of her son.

What really got me was the fact that it was a "no" twice. Once when the cat didn't have a home to go to (before I was contacted) and again when I said on the phone that I would come and get her asap but could she be looked after for a few days as we were worried about her grieving.

And what broke my heart was the state she was in when she eventually showed up again after being missing for a week after these events took place. Poor little girl was covered in scratches from fights, was thin as a rake, had stopped grooming and had bad diarrhoea. Fortunately she is healing now.

How could I forget piccies!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 14:14:03 PM by YogiDot »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 13:58:02 PM »
Thank goodness you were able to look after her.

I sometimes wish rescues would just say they can't take any more cats and are full but not say just leave the cat outside.

This is why the RSPCA offer to put them to sleep, it's such a terrible situation with unwanted cats I really don't know what the answer is for rescues. Unless legislation is brought in to stop people breeding it's never ending. The mum cats and kittens always take priority as I suppose it's so difficult for them to live outside.

I'd have been really angry in your situation but I suppose they just don't have any room at all. Last year at the rescue I volunteered at they had cages of kittens in the hall and everwhere they could fit cages as well as 100 cats in pens. They literally have no room.   

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
It does sound heartless, but Rescues need to gauge a situation on priorities: they knew you would come and could probably sense you would sort things out with the neighbour. In this situation, thankfully they were right and you, bless your lovely heart, came through for this little lady.  :Flowers:

I would feel aggrieved too, it's only natural  :( but if there simply was no more room at the Inn then the Rescue probably had no choice.  :-[

Find a little forgiveness, and accept my thanks on behalf of the mad cat people from Purrs for what has been a truly epic rescue on your part.

Well done.  :gold stars:

Erm, while we're about it...

:need pics:  :evillaugh:

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
Was this person right?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
A close friend of mine recently died, at the other end of the country to me, leaving behind his much loved and well cared for 13 year old cat.

He had been in hospital for some time prior to his rather unexpected death and a neighbour had been caring for his cat both then and after his death.  A feral queen got in through the cat flap and had a kitten in the house, 2 days after his death the kitten was found, apparently abandoned in the house and in a very poor state.

When my friend's family arrived they discussed what to do about the kitten and the cat with the neighbour. Neither neighbour or family could take the cat because both had dogs who could not be trusted with cats.

They called a local rescue and someone came out with an incubator for the possibly 2 day old kitten but they refused to take the adult cat, saying that she would be fine living outside and cats had the right to roam.  There is a fed feral colony in the immediate vicinity but this poor girl had been a cherished pet for all of her life.  While this was actually happening the family called me and I asked them to ask the rescue person if the cat could be taken into care for a few days to give me time to get there and collect her. I offered to pay any expenses. This request was refused.  The kitten was taken off in an incubator and the adult girl was left behind. Fortunately the neighbour offered to continue feeding her until I got there.

After all the activity in what was normally a very peaceful, quiet house the poor girl promptly went missing for a week, possibly searching for her deceased human.

I did the 500 mile trip to collect her and she is living with me now and settling in well, poor girl was so desperate for a little love.

I know all rescues struggle, but I was incensed by this. This poor, grieving girl was to be left to fend for herself.

Am I wrong to feel so angry?

Link to CatChat