Author Topic: can someone tell me what these are?  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: can someone tell me what these are?
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »
Nits?! Nits?!  :scared: :scared: :scared:  I knew there was a reason I never had kids  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

When Groucho first arrived in Aug 2010, he was about 8 weeks old.  I had been told by his rescuers (our window cleaners) that he had fleas so I was able to spray his room with Indorex before he arrived.  I always have either that or a can of Acclaim in the house.  It's great stuff and very effective although I shouldn't think you will need 2 cans TC unless you have a large house.  The next thing we did was ring vets to get him checked over that morning at which point he was treated for fleas and worms.

I think he stopped scratching within a couple of days and we haven't had a problem since.  The current weather conditions are great for fleas but using appropriate flea treatment, which you seem to be, should get rid of them without much of a problem.  Just make sure you follow instructions on can and I agree you should certainly not think of applying a second treatment directly to young Minnie so soon.  A flea comb or any other comb with close teeth will help but hopefully most of the fleas will be dead/dying by now  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »

A flea comb is a n ice way ofbonding with your kitten though - one of our previous cats used to like nothing better than sitting on my lap, and me working y way through his coat with a flea comb - he would purr so loudly (I used to swear he deliberately got fleas just so he could have an extra long session  :rofl:).

I dont think there's any need to panic over this.  Even if you had to resort to a house deep clean, unless y ou have a house the size of Buckingham Palace then I cant see it costing anywhere near £6,000.  I've only had one bad flea infestation in a particularly bad summer, and the hoover, old tights , indoor spray , spot on and flea comb were all that I needed to cope with that.

I think it would be very drastic to get rid of Minnie, unless you feel otherwise uncomfortable about kitten ownership, and are having second thoughts?  Am afraid fleas come with the territory from time to time.  I guess it would be like getting rid of your kids if they came home with nits.......?

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
Re: Re: can someone tell me what these are?
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 01:59:13 AM »
I don't think you should put anything else on her as the treatments are pretty strong. It is a shame when you first put it on them, one of my cat last year  was jumping every time a flea died because they would then bite she was very skittish for 24 hours. As some one said you could use a flea comb or nit comb to help get rid of them.

Don't worry all cat owners have this problem and there are lots of good products now to get rid of fleas. You will just have to make sure you treat your cat in the future and then you wont have to treat your home because as soon as a flea bites her it will die.
ahhh no wonder she was crying all day,it was the medicine working and killing the fleas..im still going to paranoid though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 23:37:01 PM »
I don't think you should put anything else on her as the treatments are pretty strong. It is a shame when you first put it on them, one of my cat last year  was jumping every time a flea died because they would then bite she was very skittish for 24 hours. As some one said you could use a flea comb or nit comb to help get rid of them.

Don't worry all cat owners have this problem and there are lots of good products now to get rid of fleas. You will just have to make sure you treat your cat in the future and then you wont have to treat your home because as soon as a flea bites her it will die.   

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 23:18:19 PM »
You are being paranoid lol............the spray is frontline I think, was used on my first cat but the problem is the fleas are biting and that is why she is scratching, she probably also sticks of alcohol stuff.

I think what the others said about it being for kittens is right and pprobably used due to the vast number of fleas.

The downside of the spray is that she will be scared of all spray cans now...............Misa runs if I pick up anything remotely like one which must go back to his old bad home.

Once you spray the house everything will be gone and mine was full of the bloomin things cos I was new to cats and they were leaping and jumping all over but one spray and all went.

Hope they will all be gone in next few days  ;D
yeah i think it could be that spray but not sure.. and my minnie is a trooper shes not scared of sparys or the hoover lol....shes 7weeks thats why they used a spray but i feel like i have to accept whatever the vet tells me because of my lack of knowledge.. they made buy indorex spary for the house for £23 told me it's the best price and when i got home i purchased 2 cans for under £20.

but i guess they need to make some profit...anyway im paranoid because i had bedbug infestation and it cost me almost £6000 to get rid,im scared of getting a fleas infestation...and the last thing i want is to get rid of my baby.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 22:18:19 PM »
You are being paranoid lol............the spray is frontline I think, was used on my first cat but the problem is the fleas are biting and that is why she is scratching, she probably also sticks of alcohol stuff.

I think what the others said about it being for kittens is right and pprobably used due to the vast number of fleas.

The downside of the spray is that she will be scared of all spray cans now...............Misa runs if I pick up anything remotely like one which must go back to his old bad home.

Once you spray the house everything will be gone and mine was full of the bloomin things cos I was new to cats and they were leaping and jumping all over but one spray and all went.

Hope they will all be gone in next few days  ;D

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 22:04:52 PM »
Sorry can't help.  Have never had a vet use a flea spray. Always spot on flea treatments but perhaps the spray is for kittens?  :-: 

Think our vet even used half an adult spot on when Groucho first arrived scratching for England aged circa 8 weeks.  Perhaps he should have used a special kitten spray but didn't have in stock? 

Can't you just ring vet tomorrow and ask?
yes it was for kittens..i want to to buy the product from another source and i think they'll rather me but it from them...I'm still freaking out though about these fleas... are fleas a serious problem or is it just me being paranoid?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 21:44:41 PM »
Sorry can't help.  Have never had a vet use a flea spray. Always spot on flea treatments but perhaps the spray is for kittens?  :-: 

Think our vet even used half an adult spot on when Groucho first arrived scratching for England aged circa 8 weeks.  Perhaps he should have used a special kitten spray but didn't have in stock? 

Can't you just ring vet tomorrow and ask?

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 20:57:54 PM »
Am thinking the same as Dawn
yes shes getting around but i feel so sorry for the way she itches it really looks painful my poor baby.... i wish i could help her.... any idea what treatment the vet gave it was a spray directly on her body? i have to wait till Monday appointment.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 20:37:13 PM »
Am thinking the same as Dawn

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 20:34:28 PM »
you are going to have to spray the whole house anyway so if they are dying you might as well let her roam

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 16:39:06 PM »
dead or alive?
dying and when i catch em they dead...vet put a spray directly on her skin and fur...now she is scratching alot and fleas are visible.  can i let her roam around the house or not? thank you

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 16:08:17 PM »
dead or alive?

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 16:07:35 PM »
i can see fleas now on her bed and on the floor

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 15:20:55 PM »
don't bathe her and I wouldn't bother with the pet shop stuff, it doesn't work very well - you could get a flea comb and give her a comb through to get rid of any fleas that might be on her until they die
i dont know what to do should i let her roam around the house or keep her in one room.. she doesn't cry or anything she been in one room all day and is doing fine..

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 15:02:31 PM »
don't bathe her and I wouldn't bother with the pet shop stuff, it doesn't work very well - you could get a flea comb and give her a comb through to get rid of any fleas that might be on her until they die

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 15:01:24 PM »

Hopefully all Sorted!   :hug: :hug:  let us know how you get on.
yes yes i will keep updated..another question?
sorry if i sound like an idiot am new to this.
i got another household flea spray from petshop,would it be ok to use it or should i wait for the other one?
and can i bathe her or will that wash off the medication she has on her skin?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 14:36:54 PM »

Hopefully all Sorted!   :hug: :hug:  let us know how you get on. 

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 14:32:32 PM »

Yes, honestly - everything will be okay.   As long as she gets the right treatment now, it'll be fine.  :hug: :hug: 

Did your vet worm her too?  When there are fleas present it's best to have a worming treatment too, as they have such delicate little tums, and parasitic infestation can make kittens very ill if it goes untreated.  There have been instances of kittens and puppies dying from anaemia through flea infestation.
Is probably worth asking him to worm her as well as giving her the spot on.

It sounds like you're on top of the situation now, and when the Indorex comes, you can get cracking on the rest of the house. 

Give Minnie a little cuddle from me and Ross and Tinky.   Tell her not to worry, those nasty fleas will soon be gone, and she'll be feeling more comfortable in no time.
shes going to be wormed on monday and treated for all the other stuff aswell..shes sat right next me she seems better, after the vet sprayed her with medicine. thanks for your support.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 14:24:52 PM »

Yes, honestly - everything will be okay.   As long as she gets the right treatment now, it'll be fine.  :hug: :hug: 

Did your vet worm her too?  When there are fleas present it's best to have a worming treatment too, as they have such delicate little tums, and parasitic infestation can make kittens very ill if it goes untreated.  There have been instances of kittens and puppies dying from anaemia through flea infestation.
Is probably worth asking him to worm her as well as giving her the spot on.

It sounds like you're on top of the situation now, and when the Indorex comes, you can get cracking on the rest of the house. 

Give Minnie a little cuddle from me and Ross and Tinky.   Tell her not to worry, those nasty fleas will soon be gone, and she'll be feeling more comfortable in no time.

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 14:17:37 PM »

Right, first of all, there's no need for anyone to be scared of her, poor little scrap.  The fleas are easily treated.  The vet or Pets at Home will give you a spot on treatment such as Stronghold or Advantage - dont buy spot ons from a supermarket - they're no good and can be harmful to cats, believe it or not.  As she's so little, she needs to have a formulation that is at a strength suitable for her size/weight and age.  They're applied at the back of the neck just above her shoulderblades, next to the skin.  You'll need to part her fur so that you can apply the spot on to the skin. 

You can get good sprays to treat the interior of the house, and I would begin by vaccuming throughout, particularly in crevices and round skirting boards etcetera.  When you treat a room with room spray, you should keep the doors and windows shut, and keep pets out of the room while you're treating it.

If you have an old pair of tights, you can check for adult fleas on a dark carpet by pulling the tights over the back of your hand or a stuffed toy, and running it over the carpets or floor coverings - any fleas will be attracted by static to the tights or stockings and will stick to them.  If your vacuum uses bags, seal the bags and dispose of in the bin.  If it has a dyson style container, empty into a bag and seal firmly then put in the bin.

I know it's not pleasant to think of having these pests in your home, but once you're on top of them you can prevent further outbreaks by treating her regularly for fleas, whether or not you see evidence of any on her.

When we got Ross, poor little soul had really bad earmites.  i remember how sad he looked while he had gooey treatment squirted in his ears.  I still let him snuggle into me at night in bed though - couldnt bear the thought of him being left all on his own, and I didn't suffer from any nasties as a result.    :hug:
thanks sue ive just ordered indorex spray from vetuk..i saw this at the surgery for £26 and online for £8 so ive ordered 4 cans 500ml for my whole house...minnie was sprayed by the vet and she will get the treatment on her neck on monday and a pill...am i jus bieng paranoid? will everything be ok?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 13:26:30 PM »

Right, first of all, there's no need for anyone to be scared of her, poor little scrap.  The fleas are easily treated.  The vet or Pets at Home will give you a spot on treatment such as Stronghold or Advantage - dont buy spot ons from a supermarket - they're no good and can be harmful to cats, believe it or not.  As she's so little, she needs to have a formulation that is at a strength suitable for her size/weight and age.  They're applied at the back of the neck just above her shoulderblades, next to the skin.  You'll need to part her fur so that you can apply the spot on to the skin. 

You can get good sprays to treat the interior of the house, and I would begin by vaccuming throughout, particularly in crevices and round skirting boards etcetera.  When you treat a room with room spray, you should keep the doors and windows shut, and keep pets out of the room while you're treating it.

If you have an old pair of tights, you can check for adult fleas on a dark carpet by pulling the tights over the back of your hand or a stuffed toy, and running it over the carpets or floor coverings - any fleas will be attracted by static to the tights or stockings and will stick to them.  If your vacuum uses bags, seal the bags and dispose of in the bin.  If it has a dyson style container, empty into a bag and seal firmly then put in the bin.

I know it's not pleasant to think of having these pests in your home, but once you're on top of them you can prevent further outbreaks by treating her regularly for fleas, whether or not you see evidence of any on her.

When we got Ross, poor little soul had really bad earmites.  i remember how sad he looked while he had gooey treatment squirted in his ears.  I still let him snuggle into me at night in bed though - couldnt bear the thought of him being left all on his own, and I didn't suffer from any nasties as a result.    :hug:

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »

They do look like them - initially i thought in the before zoom piccie they may have been mites or something else, but in the bigger pic, they do look a lot like flea eggs.   And it is that time of year - and with all of the warm, humid weather we've just been having, it's the perfect environment for the little blighters to breed.  Thank goodness you have a black sofa, and were able to pick up on them so readily.   :-:
well im going with you sue.they are flea eggs the vet can say there not.does the treatment work can you tell me the process.thank you

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
They do look suspiciously like fleas eggs, but if the vet already ruled them out, then I'm a bit nonplussed!
the very has treated her with a spray...ive sparyed my living room and the areas where shes been...I'm freaking out someone please tell me it's going to be ok...since we found the fleas and eggs ppl at home are scared of her now...we had a bedbug infestation for about a year and it was a nightmare... don't want something like that to happen.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

They do look like them - initially i thought in the before zoom piccie they may have been mites or something else, but in the bigger pic, they do look a lot like flea eggs.   And it is that time of year - and with all of the warm, humid weather we've just been having, it's the perfect environment for the little blighters to breed.  Thank goodness you have a black sofa, and were able to pick up on them so readily.   :-:

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
They do look suspiciously like fleas eggs, but if the vet already ruled them out, then I'm a bit nonplussed!
you know what sue i know they are flea eggs ive looked and search the internet all night and I'm certain they are..I've seen pictures of the same thing on the net. plus i saw a moving larvea.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »

It's difficult to see, unfortunately Tigerchilly.  I would suggest scooping them into a container and letting the vet take a peek if you can?
they said its not flea eggs or worm eggs ...they just made me buy a spray for the house.

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
ok so the vet said they are visable and you can't really see flea eggs..then what is this all over my sofa and i even saw a hatched one wriggling about...any ideas?

zoomed in on a few

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »

It's difficult to see, unfortunately Tigerchilly.  I would suggest scooping them into a container and letting the vet take a peek if you can?

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
Re: Re: Re: can someone tell me what these are?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
ok so the vet said they are visable and you can't really see flea eggs..then what is this all over my sofa and i even saw a hatched one wriggling about...any ideas?

zoomed in

zoomed in

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »

zoomed in

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

normal without zoom

Offline tigerchilly

• Adult Cat
can someone tell me what these are?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

Link to CatChat