Author Topic: Hello from Kotka, Misty and Mika - help please  (Read 17662 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Hello from Kotka, Misty and Mika - help please
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 17:23:20 PM »
They are gorgeous :Luv: Squidge looks just like my Buffy did when she was a kitten. A sad little face she still uses it to get her own way especially as her meow is still the same size. she can wrap me around he little paw.   

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »

Squeee overload!   :evillaugh:  :Luv2: :Luv2:   I love gingers, but I have to say that Squidge is a real heart-catcher.  She's gorgeous.   :Luv:  You've done such a good job, considering this was not what you originally thought you were signing up for.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013, 21:23:36 PM »
They are utterly adorable!  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2013, 21:22:04 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Kotka, Misty and Mika
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2013, 21:20:38 PM »
Thanks again for all your support everyone :)

I spoke to the vet, they definitely said no to spaying until she's finished nursing. It's awkward keeping her in and letting the other cats and the dog in and out but luckily she hasn't escaped again recently!

Thought you might like to see a couple of pics, first one is the little girl 'squidge' who I had to hand-rear for a while there, and the second is one of the ginger boys - both of whom I'm trying to convince my OH to let me keep!!

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2013, 14:59:00 PM »
When I fostered mine with their Mum the rescue got her spayed before she came to me. I was quite surprised as the kittens were about 3 weeks old at the time. Don't know what others think about this. I presume it was just because they were worried about her getting out and pregnant again. So could be worth talking to your vet if there is a remote possibility of her escaping.   

The kittens are beautiful  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2013, 06:51:19 AM »
You're doing a grand job.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2013, 16:56:46 PM »
Awwww  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2013, 14:05:38 PM »
They really are aren't they?! She has done such an amazing job considering how young she is. She lost a lot of weight in week 2, so I started mixing kitten formula in with her dry kitten food and this seems to have helped a lot. Supplementing her diet with meat such as cooked ham and chicken too.

Last couple of days she has started to feel happy leaving them for longer... the downside is she has worked out the cat flap. This is causing problems because she needs her inoculations and I am terrified of her getting pregnant again, that's the last thing I want. So, having to play traffic warden with the dog (its actually a dog flap that he uses too!) and the other two cats, whilst stopping sneaky Mika from getting outside! Looking forward to being able to get her fully innoculated and spayed in another 6-7 weeks time so that she can go outside and enjoy herself safely!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 13:36:11 PM »
Oh they're looking so well !  Delighted she took the little one back, bless her heart.   :Luv:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 13:31:50 PM »
And here is the little girl I had to bottle feed for a while there!

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2013, 13:30:31 PM »
Sorry its been so long since my last update. But great news, Mika accepted little one back into the fold and has taken care of her and the other 3 wonderfully for the last couple of weeks yay! :)

And today they are three weeks old - 2 ginger boys (one is hiding so you can't see him) and 2 girls. Hope you enjoy the photo!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »

What news overnight?  Am hoping things may have settled down again........?   :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 16:46:15 PM »
How very confusing! Kitty is so lucky to have you to keep an eye on her.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »

:(  Poor little scrap.  I bet it made you feel so torn.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
Aww love that name Lau

Well it didn't last long... after little one fed Mika picked her up and plopped her on the floor way outside the nest and left her there. I waited for a bit but she just left her, and obviously at only 4 days old she can't just be left in the open like that because she'll get cold, so I've had to put her back in the basket. At least she had some proper milk from her mummy though, and maybe in a couple of weeks we can try again like the vet said. Its as though Mika knows she should look after her, but doesnt want her in the nest. I suppose she will smell wrong too now which won't help.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »

How very odd.  I wonder if she's a bit confused at this Mother lark business, or whether in fact rather than trying to hurt the kitten, she may have thought you could "revive" it?  It's good the little one has been able to have a feed, for sure.   I think maybe I'd continue to monitor the situation carefully and she how things progress - it sound slike you're doing that anyway, but how intriguing.   It's where Teresa's knowledge was invaluable.  She'd have known what was going on, and have been able to advise you, I'm sure.  I think there were few things she hadn't come across in her years in rescue, rest her soul.   :hug: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
Pity you havent got cctv or a webcam set up in there, kittens are naughty after all  :rofl: love the photos, such a cutie  :Luv2: i once had a baby mouse named QT as in cutie  ;D

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
Oh my - some news!
Mika came wandering into the spare room where I've been nursing kitty - she sniffed around and found her basket, and gently mewed and nudged at the door. Kitty woke up straight away and mewed back, so I opened the basket and Mika picked up Kitty by the scruff and promptly carried her into the other room and straight back to the nest!! Then she lay down for them to feed and started cleaning kitty! I've had to stop looking else Mika keeps getting up and coming over to me, but I hope I'm doing the right thing... I have to trust her don't I? I mean I know she tried to hurt kitty before but she's chosen to take her back to the nest and it would be so much better for the little one if she could nurse from her mummy. Oh I hope she doesn't hurt kitty!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 18:21:48 PM »

Um, am pants at this sort of thing.... - anyone?   :evillaugh:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2013, 17:11:32 PM »
OK a TMI photo warning!! But can anyone help me decide if 'she' is in fact a she?!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 16:06:43 PM »
Awww, bless, what a little sweetheart!  :Luv2:

As this was the kitten that Mika rejected in the beginning, I wonder if she decided that it wasn't really hers? I guess we will never know, but I am so glad that she brought the kitten to you rather than just dealing with it herself! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 16:04:05 PM »

Aw, she's adorable!   :Luv2:  I think squidge is nice.  Or pip - cos she's so little!

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 14:28:56 PM »
and a couple more, when you factor in i have ridiculously small hands (my ring size is child's size H for ring finger) you can tell how small she is... I've looked at lots of internet examples and I think she's a girl... my choice of names so far are either, Midge, Squidge or Munchkin!

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 14:26:28 PM »
thanks Sue and Lau, well as my day job is a nurse I think maybe it is my calling :) In a way it is lucky I am signed off sick at the moment I guess!

And Lau - was that a hint for more photos?! hehe... I'm happy to oblige:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 14:10:16 PM »
Well done to you for all the help and love you have been offering Mika and her babies, do you ever think you have found your calling? Im so glad things to be going well, even if Mika doesnt want that one kitten now, she could come round and reaccept it as youve mentioned. I hope things continue to improve and that there are photos galore for us to coo over  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 13:03:29 PM »

It's good that you've been able to speak withthem, and it sounds fairly reassuring.  I would share your concerns about taking her to the vet if it can be avoided, but good to know your vet is taking your concerns seriously in any event.

Sending all my love for Mika and her babies, and particularly for the little one you're so manfully hand-rearing.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
Such a good vets I have, so lucky!
Spoke to the vet who originally did Mika's op and discovered the babies... he says that as she is well in herself he's not too concerned, just keep monitoring her and try not to worry at this stage. He said if there's any changes or I become worried then take her in with the babies, and it is highly unlikely this would cause her to abandon the babies or cause her any difficulty, and that the kittens would stay in the carrier and therefore have very little risk of contracting anything nasty from a trip outside.
That has put my mind at rest a lot, will continue to closely monitor her but fingers crossed its nothing to worry about.

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
Thanks Sue, I've considered asking for a home visit too, because I think its a massive risk taking Mika to the vets - if I take kittens with her they're at risk of contracting illnesses, and I don't want to handle them and disturb Mika's nest. If I leave them behind Mika will be very upset and may abandon them... I think I'll call the vet now and discuss whether a home visit is an option... I'll let you know what they say.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

How very worrying for you.  I know Mother cats can sometimes reject kittens if there is something wrong, and sounds like you've made sterling efforts on the little 'un's behalf.    I dont know anywhere near enough about nursing other cats to be able to help with advice in that regard but as for the blood, I'd be inclined to see the vet - do you think there's any chance the vet would agree to come ut, or would that be a no-no, cost wise?   :hug: :hug:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
Oh also, Mika has had a little bit of blood discharge - I rang the vet straight away when I first saw it, and they said to keep a close eye on her and look for any signs of illness, and to take her in if it carries on. There was no more or 24 hours then I saw another little spot last night. There is none in the litter tray when she toilets, she has had solid motions with no trouble, is eating, drinking and even playing when she gets up to stretch her legs. I want to avoid a trip to the vets if at all possible... what do you guys think?

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »

Oh bless her paws - must've been a vry strange experience for her as a first time mum, but the pictures show a very settled lady by alla ccounts!  And aren't her babies gorgeous????   :wow: :wow:  No wonder you're a very proud Grandma.  Well done to all of you - it was more than you originally signed up for, but you can be justifiably proud that you've given this girl and her kittens every chance, and a great start for their future.  :Luv:

I know what you mean.  In your shoes, if I were re-homing those little beauties, the process would be like an interrogation session than a gentle process of enquiry  :rofl: :hug:

You're so right - honestly the look on her face when she woke me up, I swear she was trying to say 'Mummy what is HAPPENING to me?!' Poor little thing, she did so well.

Some mixed news so I thought I'd update you all and ask for any further advice...
Apporx 8 hours after they'd all been born Mika moved all the babies right to the middle of under our bed. I was a bit concerned I won't be able to keep a close eye on them, but I understand she feels the need to keep them somewhere safe so of course I've left her to it, I have to trust her. Anyway, at midnight, so around 12 hours after the births, she jumped up on the bed with kitten number 1 in her mouth, not by its scruff. She plopped it on my lap and started trying to attack it. She was biting it really hard and kind of throwing it around, I waited as long as I could, even tried a firm 'NO' a few times, but in the end I just had to intervene because she was going to seriously damage it. Her eyes were wild, it was like she thought it was prey. I picked kitty up and tried to get Mika to calm down, she lay on her side briefly so I tried to allow kitty to latch on and she went mental again, trying to attack it. I had to make the difficult decision to take it away from her completely. Thankfully my friend was over and once she took this kitty out of the room Mika went back under the bed to the other three and sat down to feed them again, she relaxed straight away.

So, cue a whole lot of researching and running around gathering household supplies and making up formula. I am now hand rearing this little kitty, and all the other 3 are doing well (from what I can see under the bed!) with mummy Mika. I've spoken to the vet and made sure I'm doing everything right for kitty. Its possible that something is wrong with it, but so far it is very strong and as she originally abandoned this one when she first gave birth to it I wonder whether she just doesn't want this one. It also found it hard to latch on to Mika to feed, so perhaps it is the runt and Mika just feels she can't cope with it.

Kitty is now ensconced in a fleece lined pet carrier with a cuddly toy Koala (!) an old squash bottle of warm water for a heat source and a blanket wrapped around the outside of the carrier to stop drafts and keep warmth in. He/She wakes up regularly and mews, thats when I toilet her by gently stimulating anal area, then feed formula from the kitten bottle, then burp, toilet again and then cuddle and soothe to sleep before popping back in the carrier. Fingers crossed so far this seems to be working well - although I am exhausted and sleep deprived haha! Been doing this for 2 and a half days now with no major problems thank goodness. The vet said in a couple of weeks time I might be able to try reintroducing kitty again to Mika, but not to do it too soon in case she then abandons all of them.

The good news though is that one of my closest friends now wants two of the babies not just one, so there is a happy safe home for 2 of the 4 already yay! Have told her I want to keep them with mum for a minimum of 10 weeks before they go to their new home. If little rejected Kitty survives i can't see me being able to part company after being so close for the next few weeks... not sure what my other half will think of this plan!!

I've looked up how to sex kittens, but I honestly can't tell with little kitty - is it too soon do you think? Or am I just not very good at working it out?!

Thanks again for all the lovely messages everyone :) x

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
Sounds like she knows how lucky she is to have found you and she trusts you which is so lovely to hear  :hug: well done to all of you :)

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
You want to be certain they will all be residing in very good homes indeed. What sweeties they are.  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »

Oh bless her paws - must've been a vry strange experience for her as a first time mum, but the pictures show a very settled lady by alla ccounts!  And aren't her babies gorgeous????   :wow: :wow:  No wonder you're a very proud Grandma.  Well done to all of you - it was more than you originally signed up for, but you can be justifiably proud that you've given this girl and her kittens every chance, and a great start for their future.  :Luv:

I know what you mean.  In your shoes, if I were re-homing those little beauties, the process would be like an interrogation session than a gentle process of enquiry  :rofl: :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 21:54:40 PM »
What a clever girl to wake you up, and the trust she has for you already.

:)

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 19:36:37 PM »
She woke me up this morning by standing on my head and meowing really loud, and I quickly realised she was in pain from the contractions, so I took her in the spare room where I'd made a nesting place - she didn't pre-select a spot herself. Anyway, she didn't want that place - no surprise! So she curled up next to me on the bed and was purring until the contractions got really strong and the first baby started coming. I think it shocked her a bit because although she licked it a little bit once it was born she ran away and hid in a clothes draw under the bed and left the kitten behind still with the afterbirth attached. I rang the vet and they said to tie the cord and then try to reintroduce her to the kitten.

Thankfully it worked, I emptied out the draw really quickly, put it on top of the bed and covered it over with a towel, gave her the first kitten back and left her covered over in there. Next time I peeked she had cleaned kitten number one and already had number two. Three and four came with no problems, and eventually they all managed to start feeding from her.

After the first little hiccup she has been great, they are all cleaned up and feeding well, and she is content sleeping or licking them. She's also eaten some food herself which is good.

Very proud of her! And nickynoo I am loving being a granny!! How am I ever going to let them go to new homes?!!  :Luv:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 19:34:29 PM »
Thanks everyone!

2 gingers, one dark tabby with silvery stripes and another dark/silver tabby who has ginger patches!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 19:28:54 PM »
Awwww, they are all adorable  :Luv2: !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 18:56:21 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Link to CatChat