Author Topic: Microchip alert  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Microchip alert
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 20:48:02 PM »
I have mine scanned twice a year since the vet said some of them didn't have any chip numbers against their records as they were all ID chipped by the vet came home and got out all the paperwork and matched numbers to names yet another spreadsheet tab with the numbers and whose they are as we have a very mixed bag with age ranges from 19 to Master Sergai at 20 weeks he is still to be done as has Pyper but he comes back to his name better than the dogs no worries there
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 19:16:27 PM »
I'll ask my vet to re-check James when he has his booster in a couple of months.

Okay, so a bit longer than a couple of months :rofl:.  Both boys went for their boosters today and James's chip was fine.  Eleanor has a swanky new Identichip chip that can "read" her temperature, so no thermometers in unladylike places for her :evillaugh:.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 18:07:35 PM »
That's a bit worrying.  James has a Virbac chip, done in 2010, which the vet checked as okay after I got the letter last year.  Christopher has an Identichip chip so his is not a problem.

Apart from the usual reasons for having microchips I label their baskets with their names and chip numbers if I have to leave them both at the vets - two big black boys aren't always easy to tell apart!  I'll ask my vet to re-check James when he has his booster in a couple of months.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Microchip alert
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 15:24:28 PM »
Like many others I received the letter from Virbac last summer warning of potential problems with the chips implanted in my 2 cats.  I had them them checked immediately and both were fine.

Recently I installed a microchip cat flap but try as I might I could not get it to recognise either chip.  Since Biggles had a vet appointment anyway I got them to scan him and they couldn't find any chip.  They even put new batteries in their scanner and tried again but no joy.
They asked had he been near a strong magnet but unless extra-terrestrials have put a force field around our home then the answer to that is no.  :Crazy:

I think that at the time of the letter Virbac stated that the chips failed soon after implantation if they were going to fail at all, but in light of my experience I believe this to be incorrect (mine were implanted in 2011).

The vet has re-chipped both cats (they couldn't find Bunty's either) but I'm still waiting to hear whether Virbac accept liability and foot the bill.

I would advise anybody who received one of these letters to have their cats checked again next time they're at the vets.  In fact its probably good practice to have all chips checked annually at booster time.  This is especially important if you're taking your pet  abroad as we used to do with our previous cat Korky.  :scared:

Link to CatChat