Author Topic: Hello from Kotka, Misty and Mika - help please  (Read 17670 times)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Re: Hello from Kotka, Misty and Mika - help please
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 17:35:41 PM »
Are they tabby and gingers? They look very healthy, what a credit to you  :Luv2:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 16:49:14 PM »
Gorgeous, 2 black and 2 ginger? Or black and white?

How do you like being a granny???? 

Nicky

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 16:34:55 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:  :Luv2: :Luv: Beautiful :thanks:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Kotka, Misty and Mika
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 16:24:20 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and let you know that about 5 hours ago little Mika safely delivered her 4 kittens. Mummy and babies are all doing well and feeding happily  :Luv:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 18:38:02 PM »
Good luck and well done for taking such good care of her.

Photos of the little ones when they arrive would be lovely.  ;)

Nicky

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 18:34:35 PM »
Wonderful news  :hug: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 18:03:20 PM »
Aww great news, she's really getting spolit  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »

That's great news.   ;D :hug: :hug: 

What a lovely Grannie you're going to be - love that you've cleared her a space in the wardrobe - always nice to have a place of safety and privacy when you're making babies.   :Luv:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
Hi all, thought I'd give you a quick update...

Mika's "birthing room"(!!) is all set up, litter tray, kitten bowls and water bowl, and I've cleared out the bottom of the wardrobe and placed in it a cardboard box with a towel covered in an old cotton sheet. The stair gate is across the door to stop the dog going in and she's spending a lot of time in there.

She had her final post-op checkup yesterday and all is good, there's a bit of fluid gathering around the op-site but nothing to worry about. And she's put on half a kilo in 5 days! All that extra chicken and turkey must be doing its job, plus this also suggests the kittens have survived the op and are still growing yay!

She's suffering a bit in the heat bless her, but she still loves a snuggle and occasionally gathers enough energy to chase imaginary things!

Will keep you posted, should have some new additions in the next few days!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »

It may be that she was caught short, or that she was seeking to mark her territory in a way that would make it smell familiar and reassuring.  Good idea to get an additional tray anyway  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 20:50:11 PM »
I dont know tbh but suspect she was caught short.

Think you need two extra trays to try and cover other places.

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 15:12:07 PM »
So my partner was sat on the bed earlier watching something on TV, Mika was playing chasing imaginary things, then jumped on the bed and did a huge pee. I don't know what to make of this, I thought cats peed in the wrong place when they were upset, but she seems absolutely fine, she's carried on playing and having cuddles just like normal. Do you think maybe she got caught short due to the extra pressure on her bladder from the kittens?
The litter tray is downstairs, she's never had an accident before, but I have ordered a new litter tray for upstairs so that she has one in the room when she has the kittens, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Don't know if I should be concerned or not, what do you guys think?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 21:59:14 PM »
So pleased you were able to speak to the vet who knew her and pleased he thinks she is OK  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 18:55:47 PM »
Glad you were able to get reassurance about her wound and that she's enjoying her extra rations.   :)  Sounds like you have everything well in hand.  :hug:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 16:00:57 PM »
Just rang the vets - luckily enough the actual vet who did Mika's op answered. I explained it all to him and he says it just sounds like a normal inflammatory reaction whilst it is healing, phew!  :Luv:

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 15:56:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

Hi Sue, she's doing really well thank you. She has become very clingy to me, and hardly leaves my side, which I don't mind at all. She's still very much enjoying  the extra chicken in her food bowl too!

I've been watching some (rather graphic) videos on youtube of kitten births just so I know what sort of thing to expect and don't panic unnecessarily!

I'm a little bit unsure of her wound today - it is not red, hot, or producing anything so I'm certain there is no infection, but right around the area of the scar itself is quite raised today. I've touched it gently and she's not reacting like it hurts or anything, I'm just a bit worried because of course there will be extra pressure from the inside due to the kittens. Maybe I should give the vets a call.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »

How's Mika this morning?   :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 00:26:43 AM »
Sending loads of good wishes  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 15:45:08 PM »

Fingers definitely crossed here.    ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 15:42:46 PM »
bless her, she will eat like a horse i should think

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 15:41:51 PM »
Quick update

Mika had her check up today and all is good. Scar is healing nicely and she's bright and alert, also she's put on .2 of a kilo in 2 days, so we're going in the right direction weight wise. They couldn't tell me if the kittens are alive because she's hiding them so well, but I spoke with the vet who did her operation and he said all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best. He wants to see her again a week today, by which point she should be very close to full term.

Today Mika has eaten a portion of chicken more suitable for the dog (!)  :fish: :fish: and had plenty to drink and lots of snuggles.

Keeping fingers crossed for her babies! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »

That's fabulous service from your vet, and I'm so pleased they were able to give yuo some helpful advice regardding her diet and the impending birth.   I was wondering how Mika was feeling after her "Very Busy Day" but I didnt get a chance to get on much yesterday, so really pleased to learn she was one the worse for her visit. 

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Sounds like she's going to enjoy her food supplements - there's few things nicer than a cat's purr, because you know when you hear it that you must be doing something right.   :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 20:23:06 PM »
Wonderful and those vets are great  ;D ;D

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 20:15:42 PM »
Hi all!

Mika is doing really well today, she's sleeping quite a lot, but given the heat, her ordeal yesterday and the fact she's heavily pregnant I'm not overly concerned about this.
This morning one of the vet nurses rang me. It was so lovely, it was a courtesy call to see how Mika is and to ask if I needed any help or advice regarding the unexpected pregnancy. What a good service. I have used many different vets over a period of more than 10 years, in different counties and everything, and this vet is absolutely incredible! Anyway, she was on the 'phone for over 20 minutes answering all my questions and giving advice on what to look out for and what I can do if she has any problems giving birth. She even asked for us to upload photos when she's had them (they have like a little profile online for each of your pets, that is only accessible by yourself and the vets), because they're all really keen to see them after the shock of discovering them yesterday. How amazing is that?!
She's having an extra post-op check at the vets tomorrow too.

The nurse advised me that as her weight is quite low (she's not unhealthily skinny, but for a heavily pregnant mummy she could happily carry a few more pounds) I should start supplementing her current kitten food (Iams biscuits) with tasty extras like chicken, turkey etc that are high in protein. She's just had some cooked turkey and I've never heard a cat purr that loud whilst practically inhaling her food haha!

Starting to get the spare room ready for her, I've put a big comfy blanket under the bed with a cotton sheet on top, and I'm taking her in there for her food and for some snuggles. I've also drawn the curtains in there to make it darker. I'll get a box ready for her too, but I'm guessing she probably won't use it!

Off now to surf the web and order a baby gate to stop the dog going in there and also an extra couple of food bowls and a litter tray.

Thanks for all your lovely comments :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 18:03:48 PM »
She is gorgious  ;D ;D

I am sure you have realized by now that you are among the real crazy cat ladies and we will do anything for our cats as you are, well done you and your vet sounds very sensible.  :innocent:

We have others in Wilts  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 15:28:17 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Loving the blue nose.......

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 15:15:28 PM »
She is gorgeous, poor little girlie, but atleast she has you to take good care of her every need.

Love the blue nose photo.

Nicky

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 15:07:21 PM »
Tell me about it Dawn, not even the vet realised she was pregnant before they got inside! X

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 15:02:57 PM »
she is a lovely girl, she is hiding her bump very well in that photo!

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 14:51:57 PM »
Oh my, i just had to share this with you!!

I went in to check on her and she's awake and ready for some more fusses, and I was looking at her thinking why does she look different...?

Look at the colour of her little nose!! Sooooo cute!

(Second pic explains the colour, and I'm quite sure in her head she's saying, " oooh yes mummy, that's the spot"   :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 14:33:18 PM »

Well it is pretty exciting, isn't it?  :evillaugh:    I guess it's going to be like waiting for Christmas (or Kiss-mouse as it's known on here from time to time - being of course the time that Santie Paws pays a visit  ;) )

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 14:28:38 PM »
Awwww thanks everyone, isn't it funny that warm fuzzy pride feeling we get when someone says how beautiful our babies are :)

I will definitely keep you all posted, I feel like an expectant mother myself and will no doubt be asking for tonnes of advice!

Also I forgot to say earlier I live in Wiltshire.
Now that I'm over the shock I'm so excited!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 14:11:16 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  :) What a gorgeous girl Mika is. Thank goodness she found her way to someone as caring as you. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can give you some advice. Hope all goes well for Mika and her kittens and look forward to regular updates.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 13:49:42 PM »

OMG, she's gorgeous!!!!    I didnt realise she was a beautiful ginger girlie!!!   :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Yes, that's very "Superman" - hope she's going to make a perfectly Super-Mum.   :Luv: :Luv:  Bet your very pleased her stitches are internal, so no need for a collar to keep her away from them.  Bless her heart, no wonder she's tuckered out after the day you've had.  Hoping that everything heals as it should in respect of her hernia, and that all goes well with the birth of the kittens.  Keep us posted, will you?  We'll be like a load of expectant "Aunties" waiting for news.....  ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 13:48:27 PM »
Awwww, bless her! She is so lucky to have found such a loving and responsible slave.

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 13:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  :Luv:

I think you're absolutely right Sue about putting the feelers out now to ensure I get the right homes for Mika's babies. One of my close friends has already claimed one and they aren't even here yet! My best friend is also hopeful she can have one, she's just got to use the powers of persuasion on her husband and in-laws as they live with them currently. I'm very hopeful they can all go to someone I actually know, but obviously time will tell how realistic this is. Will also have to wait and see exactly how many they are and if all survive OK.

Absolutely Gill, a terrible liar. I'm going to start her innoculations from scratch because I now just can't be sure she has actually had them. I was discussing all this with the vet earlier, she said she thinks Mika is very lucky to have ended up in a loving and responsible home. That's the most important thing now, to give her the care she deserves.

Mika was so pleased to get home and have cuddles bless her. She ate lots of food and then konked out for a good long nap.

Incidentally the vet did interior stitches so that they can't pull them out and don't have to wear a 'lampshade' - what a good idea, so much less stressful for the cat. She is leaking a small amount of fluid but the vet reassured me that especially as she is pregnant and will carry more fluid in that area this is perfectly normal. Still, we will be keeping a good eye on her. She is not overly amused at being gently woken up every couple of hours but she soon starts purring!

Thought I'd attach a pic of the little cutie for you :) she likes to sleep in the superman pose!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  :hug:

What a terrible liar that woman was and agree with Sue.

This thread needs moving to the right place to get seen by those who know but lets leave it for the next 24 hours before moving it  :hug: :hug:

What area are you in cos that will help so people know?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »

hello, and welcome to the forum to you, Kotka, Misty and Mika.   :welcome:

I can imagine how much of a shock this has been to take in when you weren't expecting anything of the kind, but well done for giving the babies a chance based on the opinion of the vets.   :hug: :hug:  It's quite an undertaking, but provided Mika takes to her babies okay, then they should be fine.

Finding homes for them may be a bit of a task, but you could begin to put feelers out now to see if there are any good homes interested once Mika's kittens arrive, and that way you can perhaps more easily vet them and assess the commitment of any possible owners by their willingness to wait and prepare for when their new kitten is ready to leave Mum?

I dont have any significant experience of cats with kittens, but there are plenty of members who do, and am sure someone will be along soon who can help in that regard with advice and suggestions.

All in all it's been quite a day for you and Mika! 

Offline Kotka

• Adult Cat
Hello from Kotka, Misty and Mika - help please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
Hi all,

I have three baby girls. Kotka is an 8 yr old black/white/ginger, Misty is a 3 yr old long furred tabby, and Mika is an ?8 month old ginger and white.

I have joined this forum because I love my babies and cats in general, but also because I've had some very unexpected news today.

We gave Mika a forever home 4 weeks ago after her owner (who we didn't actually know) couldn't keep her as she was moving house (or so she said, I'm now not so sure). Anyway, we were told she was 5 months old, had been given all her injections and had never gone outside yet. Turns out that is probably all a load of rubbish. I took her to get checked over at our own vets, and the nurse said she was absolutely fine.

We gave her some time to settle in, and then booked her in to be spayed (she wasn't allowed outside during this time to avoid pregnancy). She went in for her op today, and due to an umbilical hernia they decided to do a front incision and repair that at the same time. When we dropped her off they said there is no way she is only 6 months, she has no baby teeth left and they'd estimate she is at least 8 months old.
An hour later I got a phonecall to say she is heavily pregnant with at least 4 kittens, and is between 1 and 2 weeks away from full term. I couldn't believe it. They explained they could still 'abort' the pregnancy and spay her, but that they would have to 'help' the kittens to die. I couldn't agree to that.

I had a good long chat with the vet when I went and picked her up just now (they repaired the hernia and closed her back up). They were very kind and reassuring, and they said having seen her sweet nature they are confident that although she is young she should take to being a mother very well, and that whilst they can't guarantee anything they hope the meds and op she had today won't have any adverse effects.

So I'm researching like mad, I've always had all my animals spayed/neutered so I've never gone through this before. Can anyone help me with advice?

I just want to end by saying I am a very responsible pet owner, as I say I have always spayed/neutered all my animals and due to the vast numbers of pets in desperate need of loving homes already, I would never have chosen for her to have a litter. But this is what has been dealt to us, and so I want to do the best for Mika and her babies I possibly can.

Thanks for reading x

Link to CatChat