Author Topic: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures  (Read 87824 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #729 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
So glad to hear that he's progressing,couldn't you just put an old duvet,blankets eg,to fill the gap? :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #728 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
good to hear he is doing well, your nerves must be in shreds though helen  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #727 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »
Delighted to here things are finally improving so much  :) :) :) 

Do hope you establish a manageable routine soon Helen.  You must be shattered  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #726 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Great news about the weeing, but not for your beauty sleep.

I know how you feel squeezing the treats, we got some very odd looks in Sainsburys squeezing the Webbox sticks, for the same reason as you. Some flavours are definately firmer.

Have a good day with your boys.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #725 on: July 26, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »
Good news about Riley  ;D On the bed front I like to think it was Riley that surreptitiously put a claw out and made the teeniest of holes so him mum would be awake more on his first night home  :) :evillaugh: :naughty:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #724 on: July 26, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »
Same here with the inflatable bed, Helen. Slow punctures.  :doh: Better using the cushions off the couch on the floor. Or invest in/borrow a little folding zed bed? Ask around at work or try Freegle or freecycle, someone's bound to have one they can lend you.

How big is the gap under the bed? Some of that green wire netting they use for garden borders might be enough to keep him from sneaking under? You could tie it to the legs with garden wire AND you'd get a trip to the garden centre with your Mum to source it.  :sneaky:

Hoping Riley had an uneventful night and isn't too bothered about his trips,slips and plummets.  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #723 on: July 26, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »

This is such encouraging news Helen, and I guess whilst you're tired, it will nonetheless be a happy tired.    :hug: :hug:

All inflatable beds deflate when we lie on them.  They're manufactured that way.  It's in the rules......  ;)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #722 on: July 26, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »
So glad to hear that Riley had a good night....and more wees  ;D Sending  :hug: :hug: for you Helen. You must be exhausted what with lack of sleep and the stress of the worry  :tired: Look after yourself won't you.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #721 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »
Well, Riley had a good night... better than me  :tired: As both my beds are the type he can get under (but I can't) I decided to sleep in the living room on a blow up bed... only it gradually deflated throughout the night so what with being disturbed by his litter tray comings and goings (more wees  ;D) and effectively sleeping on the floor I have had about 4 hours sleep  :tired: I have my handyman (my Mum  :evillaugh:) coming round later to assess the bed situation and hopefully make something to stop him getting under there but leaving my junk important stuff accessible still. He's bright, alert and affectionate but is still a bit wobbly with jumping and has fallen off the windowsill and table a few times  :shy: :care:

His tablet regime means I'll need to be up at 7am every day, when I'm on earlies I get up at 05:15 and absolutely HATE it so I normally lie in on lates and RD's, I'm definitely not an early bird but OMG he is worth it  :Luv:

The medication he's on is 1 x tablet every 8 hours, 1.5 x different tablets every 12 hours, 2 different tablets every 24 hours - plus his temporary bladder meds every 8 hours. Have made myself a very fetching chart and am going to buy one of those tablet organisers later today. He's been very good about taking tablets hidden in Natures Menu treats, I went in to the pet shop the other day and was squeezing all the treat packets that I'd not tried before to try and see how maleable they were and Natures Menu won  :naughty:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #720 on: July 26, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »

Helen, you're bound to be anxious, as the responsibility has shifted, and you're a very caring and loving meowmy.  I really do think this will be Riley relaxing at last, safe in the comfort of how own space again, witht he things he knows and finds reassuring around him.  This may be the first natural sleep he's had in ages when you think about it.  Am hoping he's had a really good night, and very glad he manaed a wee last night.  Keeping everything crossed that you both have a great Friday, and not forgetting to send extra special love to Lu, who hopefully will be happy enough to see his bruvver back on home turf.    :hug: :hug:

That spray sounds amazing.  What is it?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #719 on: July 26, 2013, 00:16:59 AM »
Dropping in on the thread to top up on the vibes to you all. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #718 on: July 25, 2013, 23:52:09 PM »
Brilliant to hear that Riley's home!  Hope all goes well for you all.  :) xx :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #717 on: July 25, 2013, 23:39:43 PM »
Wonderful news!  :wow:

I can vouch for the Pet remedy plug ins working for both cats - and people. I started using one in my grooming room to keep the cats chilled - but unfortunately its sending both me and my human customers to sleep lol!  ;)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #716 on: July 25, 2013, 23:03:28 PM »
I thought I would feel more relaxed with him at home, it's ten times worse! Every time he licks his lips or I hear him washing himself my heart stops as the mini-seizures start off with lip smacking, drooling etc  He was asleep a while ago and his little paws started twitching very very slightly, then his face - I suddenly felt sick to the pit of my stomach until I realised it was probably him just dreaming.

Beau was lying next to me this afternoon, twitching and shuddering in his sleep. I thought of Riley and how frightening it would be if Beau didn't come round, so I poked him, and he came round, yelled at me then bit my finger.  :) Hoping the little twitches continue to be nothing more than running dreams, and may the wee continue to flow.  ;D ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #715 on: July 25, 2013, 22:36:15 PM »
Yes watching and waiting and hoping are almost as stressful as them being in hospital......sigh.

It gets easier, I promise  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Be good Riley and sending loads of sleep well vibes for everyone  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #714 on: July 25, 2013, 22:04:45 PM »
Aaw Helen, you will be on the edge of your seat for a while I think. The slightest whisker twitch will worry you unfortunately until you get used to him.

Fingers crossed he keeps up the good work  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #713 on: July 25, 2013, 21:54:10 PM »
Here's hoping you all sleep well tonight   :hug:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 21:58:03 PM by Slugsta »

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #712 on: July 25, 2013, 21:46:57 PM »
Thats fantastic news, so pleased everything is going well. long may it continue  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #711 on: July 25, 2013, 21:45:51 PM »
I thought I would feel more relaxed with him at home, it's ten times worse! Every time he licks his lips or I hear him washing himself my heart stops as the mini-seizures start off with lip smacking, drooling etc  He was asleep a while ago and his little paws started twitching very very slightly, then his face - I suddenly felt sick to the pit of my stomach until I realised it was probably him just dreaming.

He's been drinking loads (a side effect of the meds he's on) and I was getting worried that he hadn't wee'd since 13:00,  the vet said that their bladder fills up within 2-3 hours of being empty and when he was on day release he only had 7 hours in total (from empty) to wee or be re-admitted. His last wee was at 13:00, then at 16:00 his bladder still had some urine in so by 21:00 it was me who was twitching! Thankfully he performed again at 21:15 :naughty:

Fluffybunny - the towel thing is a good idea, will defo do that to help ease them back together.

I have Feliway plugged in upstairs and down at the moment but funnily enough I was reading the other day that valerian may have anti-epilepsy properties. I did ask the vet if there were any 'alternative' remedies that could be used in conjunction with the meds but he said none that had been proven - that said there's no harm in trying a plug once the Feliway has finished I guess.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #710 on: July 25, 2013, 21:01:39 PM »
OMG Helen - I havent been able to get online and have been going loopy not knowing how Riley has been doing - I really cannot tell you how deliously happy I am for you and Riley and of course Lu Lu having his brother home
Welcome Home Riley - you clever boy xxx Keep weeing baby and no twitiching  :hug:

Talking about Valerian - I changed from Felliway about 6 months ago and have never looked back - I can only smell the Plug ins for about 10 minutes when I first change them and they seem to work wonders
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #709 on: July 25, 2013, 20:19:08 PM »
Sheilrose apparently the smells of valariansoon passes and it's calming effects work on everyone , even people.  So I agree Helen, a Pet Remedy plug in could be what you all need  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #708 on: July 25, 2013, 20:01:26 PM »
Helen, I went ahead and ordered the Pet Remedy spray that was recommended earlier in the thread, was it by Sam? It arrived this afternoon.

I sprayed it on the cat tree nearest the window and Tufty (strictly outdoor thug) came to investigate and almost settled down for a snuggle on it!  This isn't far short of a miracle, and that's just one tiny spray in one place in the house.  :wow:

Might be worth getting some for your place, it really does seem very effective, instantly, although there is a niff of valerian about it  :shify:

So pleased for you and Riley, hoping the seizures stay away and he continues to get his strength back. Lu will understand so long as he still gets his snoozles at bed time.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #707 on: July 25, 2013, 19:49:48 PM »
take no notice of that Lu, Riley

Trigger got a fair few hisses from Tiffany when he came home after 16 days having his I131 treatment, but he was much too thrilled to take the slightest notice of the silly creature, so she soon gave it up as a bad job
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #706 on: July 25, 2013, 19:41:36 PM »
I remember when Mogs came home and Amber wouldnt like her until the electric man came to read the meter and scared Amber so much she hid against Mogs  :naughty:
It takes time but I will keep everything crossed for you all even if I hold off on the weeing dancing bananas for a few days.....

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #705 on: July 25, 2013, 18:26:58 PM »
OMG this is wonderful news  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Holding off on the dancing bananas for a while, maybe a week but I am so very happy for you Helen and hope he staays seizure free too...............what a bloomin immense day  ;D

Sending loads of stay well vibes   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #704 on: July 25, 2013, 18:18:23 PM »
So pleased to hear that Riley is back home and weeing well :hug: Fingers crossed his recovery is as smooth as possible from hereon in.  I don't know if the same works with cats, but when bunnies have to be separated due to vets etc, it's recommended that you rub towels over them and keep swapping the towels over to intermingle the scent before reintroduction. 

Hope everything goes to plan from now on  :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #703 on: July 25, 2013, 17:41:49 PM »
I'm so pleased Riley is home and weeing again.
Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health and hope it all goes smoothly with Lu.
 :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #702 on: July 25, 2013, 17:31:50 PM »
Just wanted to say a massive thanks to every single person who has taken the time to wish both Riley and me well, I can't tell you how much all the support has been appreciated  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Is he just going back for a check up at 4pm Helen or does he need to stay in again?  :-:

Initially he had to go back by 4pm and be re-admitted if he hadn't wee'd but when I picked him up this morning the vet said he would like to see him at 4 regardless so that he can check the size of his bladder. He was very happy with his urination activity, almost as happy as me  :naughty: It's 45 mins each way so I was a bit worried about the added stress of an extra journey but he seemed fine, he had a little wash and a quick nap.

How is Lu?  Are you keeping them separate?

I plan on keeping them separate for a week I think, last time Riley stayed away (think it was just for one night) Lu was quite mean to him and was hissing at him for a fair few days after because he obviously smelt funny. Now he has three weeks worth of vet smells to get rid of so I don't want to risk any added stress of fighting or Lu hissing.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #701 on: July 25, 2013, 17:06:33 PM »
Attaboy Riley, well done!  :ahh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #700 on: July 25, 2013, 16:32:50 PM »
Fab news ;D Well done Riley :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #699 on: July 25, 2013, 15:24:14 PM »
So very very pleased Helen.  Well done lad  :clap:

Is he just going back for a check up at 4pm Helen or does he need to stay in again?  :-:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #698 on: July 25, 2013, 15:18:38 PM »
Ahhhhh bless him .... he was obviously just hanging on while he was in the vets.  Guessing the poor baby is a bit shy about weeing in public.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #697 on: July 25, 2013, 14:35:21 PM »
Great news!  I'm so glad he's home and has got over his performance anxiety!

How is Lu?  Are you keeping them separate?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #696 on: July 25, 2013, 14:26:47 PM »
Yaaaaaaaaay! Typical man, wants to go in his own place in his own time! Way done Riley! :naughty: :naughty:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #695 on: July 25, 2013, 14:25:11 PM »
so relieved its good news for Riley  :phew: and so sorry that now you must be starting to begin to relax, axa have thrown a spanner in.

well done Riley  :care:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #694 on: July 25, 2013, 13:56:02 PM »
Oh Riley, you little darling  :Luv2: :hug:  :welcome: home  :Luv2: :hug:

Keep on peeing and eating and drinking and purring and loving your mum and Lu Lu  :Luv2: :hug: :Luv2:

Keep them trays full darling  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #693 on: July 25, 2013, 13:41:43 PM »
great news!

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #692 on: July 25, 2013, 13:21:20 PM »
Whoohooo! Well done Riley  :chicken: :chicken:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #691 on: July 25, 2013, 13:19:32 PM »
Have caught up with the thread (not been on Purrs in forever  :-[)

I'm so sorry that Riley has been so very poorly, I can't even begin to imagine how you've been feeling Helen  :hug: :hug: Soooo relieved he's home now and that wee's have been a happening. Memphis, Molly and Mig send there love your way as well.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #690 on: July 25, 2013, 13:06:30 PM »

Oh Riley - what a clever lad.    :wow: :wow:

Helen, that's such good news.  Am sending every special snoozle that can be mustered in celebration.  Has he been pottering around, or is he jsut making himself nice and comfy back in his own home again?

(Lovely Smiley JiJi  :) )

Link to CatChat