Author Topic: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures  (Read 87852 times)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
Re: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2013, 22:21:54 PM »
Just popping in to top up the vibes for Riley and  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you Helen.

I hope today was just a blip and that tomorrow he will be back on track.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2013, 22:20:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

from me and Ambercat
xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2013, 21:55:44 PM »
I am sorry today hasnt been so good but he is in the right place for them to help him with everything he needs.

I am sure they will manage the seizure and the eyes, my worry is about him eating and hope they can get this started asap. It is so important for him to eat.

He really needs things to start going right for him without any more hiccups and all my thoughts and good vibes are for this to start happening immediately  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2013, 21:29:37 PM »
Am sure this is a blip and Riley will pick up now :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2013, 19:54:42 PM »
Sorry things went a bit backward today but hopefully it was just a small blip and things will settle down soon  :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #324 on: July 13, 2013, 18:59:11 PM »
Just popped in to top up the vibes and read the update.
I'm so sorry its not more positive and hope for better news tomorrow.
 :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #323 on: July 13, 2013, 18:52:43 PM »
Helen  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2013, 17:56:00 PM »
So incredibly sorry the roller coaster continues Helen  :cuddle:

Whilst it's not good news about ulcers, it is certainly fixable (a friend of mine has 4 Persians and one of them had successful surgery a few times) although healing on their own would obviously be preferable. 

I can't tell you how much I wish I could help in some way but send every possible good vibe to our lovely lad in the certain knowledge that he is in the best possible hands  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2013, 17:41:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, Helen  :hug:  It really is a ups and downs isn't it?  Had they reduced the meds at all?

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2013, 16:55:58 PM »
Poor Riley, hope he eats a little soon.  Sending those good vibes along. xxxx  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2013, 16:23:55 PM »
Oh dear, poor Riley. I was hoping he was almost out of the woods but it seems he's got a way to go. What did the evt say about this seizure, Helen?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2013, 16:07:35 PM »
Another 'down' on the rollercoaster  :(

Went to see him this afternoon and he had another mini-seizure whilst I was there  :( It was very small compared to previous ones and he snapped out of it very quickly with no panting as in previous episodes and he didn't seem disorientated or 'spaced out' in comparison with how he had been earlier in my visit but it was a seizure nonetheless.

The first half an hour I was there he was like he was yesterday, he seemed bright and alert and was moving around a bit. He hasn't eaten today and refused some deli ham/beef/chicken that I took in for him but I wasn't desperately worried until he had his mini-fit.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2013, 16:01:28 PM »
Hope your visit went well Helen and that Riley is peeing for England  ;)

I'm sure they will sort his eyes out quickly.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2013, 14:35:24 PM »
Sending lots of wee-wee vibes - I hope he's performed by now.  Ulcerated eyes sounds very sore but I'm sure they'll get sorted very quickly.  :hug:

Enjoy your visit today Helen and don't forget to give Riley lots of love and get well soon wishes from me and the dynamic duo.  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
Oh bless him  :( yes I'm not surprised that his eyes are complaining a bit after being so spaced out. Eye cells regenerate remarkably quickly and the ulcers shouldn't be too severe as they will be very recent, so hopefully it won't be long before they repair themselves.  One of my elderly bunnies had corneal ulcers from dry eye and lack of blink reflex, and with various meds even they cleared up in just a few days.

More hugs coming for you and Riley x x x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
It's progress, if he can wee then the rest of his recovery will be easier. It sounds as though the vets were half expecting the ulcers, thank goodness they started him on the ointment early or it could have been worse. They really do know their stuff which must be such a comfort to you.

The main thing is he is progressing away from the fits and being in a calm, cool environment is the very best place for him. :care:

Hope you manage to spend some quality time with Riley today, Helen, and that he pees for you.  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
Oh bless him, Helen.  That's not great news but he's in the best possible place for the care he needs, and there's no denying they're very vigilant with him.  :hug:  there's a deal of comfort to be had from that.   Sending very soothing vibes for Riley' s eyes. X

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
The nurse just rang, he has had his catheter removed and they're going to see if he can urinate by himself - if not he will have to be sedated again and the catheter re-inserted. He's not eaten his breakfast today but he did eat yesterday. There's been no fits but his eyes have started to develop ulcers  :( I think due to not blinking as being spaced out. Will be going to see him this afternoon.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »
Sending gentle headbutts, purrs and dribbles for poor Riley today, he has really been through it bless him. As have you. Fred especially sends gentle purrs as he is feeling sorry for himself having caught a bee. (Was it Lu or Riley that had the big comedy paw?) Fred obviously decided it would help cheer Riley up though. And wants him to know it was an especially big and angry bumbleybee.
 :hug: :hug: :hug: and hoping for a good weekend. It must be such a relief knowing you can visit him.
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
Topping up the vibes and hoping our Riley continues to improve over the weekend and can come home very soon  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
Fingers crossed that Riley continues to recover well over the weekend.  Am sending him much love, a few chin tickles and a couple of light strokes to that beautiful grey (albeit shaven) head  :Luv2:

I remember my time off last summer when 6 of em went down with bad colds and Bobby's developed into cat flu.  It is utterly exhausting.  Hope you can relax a little this weekend Helen  :hug: :hug: :hug: 

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Wonderful news Helen, so pleased ;D Riley has made amazing progress and the hospital is first rate ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
Helen, just topping up the love and the thoughts coming your way, and hoping you really enjoy your visit to see Riley today.   :hug: :hug: :hug:  Ross and Dickie The Tink send loads of appropriately stripey snoozles (big fat ones apparently) to their poorly pal :Luv:

I think Riley's dietary choice is very sensible, by the way  ;)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:24 AM »
 Sending more positive vibes for gorgeous Riley, finger crossed he comes home on Monday :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2013, 23:55:13 PM »
Its gonna be very hot tomorrow they say so hope Riley will be safe in the airconditioning of the hospital  with you by his side.

Loads more good vibes and hope every day is a little better Mr Riley and then you will be home soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2013, 23:33:26 PM »
Oh that's such good news hun thank gowd he's getting better and no fits since.  All my love and heart is with riles you and Lu. Give him a gentle kiss from me when you see him and say he got some nice toys for him and lu to try when he's fully well
Xxxx
Loads of hugs
Xxxxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2013, 23:01:34 PM »
I'm thrilled to hear Riley is soon to be home, and am very impressed by the care your vets have given him - it must have been such a relief not to have to worry about their competence on top of the worry about Riley himself

let's hope he'll be a model patient when you get him home
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2013, 22:28:04 PM »
News is getting better with every post.  :)

I wad lucky with wordy most of the time as he loves his food. Tablets pushed into a piece of webbox, I cut the bigger of the tablets into 3 or 4 pieces.

It didn't take long for him to learn to wake me up and sit on the side by his meds!

I won't be able to check or posts tomorrow until the evening, but will be thinking of you all.

Nicky.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2013, 22:12:08 PM »
The problem with taking the legs of my bed/s would be the junk important stuff that is stored under them in plastic tubs! I think Gill's idea of wood planks is the way to go

I know how things can get overlooked when furbabes are unwell  :shify: :shify: so remember Helen to check for Lu under the bed before putting wood planks in place  ;)  I think we can risk a little smiley stuff; or at least I VERY much hope so  :shy: 

Keep well Riley sweetheart  :care:  Glad you've had a haircut kid as can only help your recovery  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2013, 22:01:13 PM »
 :thanks: again all for your kind thoughts and vibes for Riley - I can't wait to post that he is able to come home :wish:

if you are concerned about the bedroom do you have a room that you could maybe confine him to whilst he is recouperating.  Enjoy your weekend visits with your special boy xxx

Yep, the plan is to keep him confined to the living room with Lu having the rest of the house, I don't want to put them back together straight away as Lu will likely be very hissy towards him due to the vet smell plus Riley will need to be kept quiet due to the operation and his meds, no chasing or wrestling. I have a very comfy blow up bed which I am willing to share with Riley - just need to get him home now :wish:

The problem with taking the legs of my bed/s would be the junk important stuff that is stored under them in plastic tubs! I think Gill's idea of wood planks is the way to go but I'd like it to be fairly accesible still so I can access my junk important stuff.

So pleased Riley seems to have turned a corner. Hope he is home very soon and they find out what the problem was. (Just read you had a new boiler put in recently, I know that carbon monoxide leaks can cause seizures, just a thought) but did you have it tested when it was put in? :doh:

:thanks: Heather, the seizures have apparently been caused by an immune related disorder that has 'attacked' his brain causing 'changes' to the hippocampus area. I have a proper carbon monoxide alarm which hasn't gone off so don't think it would be connected.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2013, 21:47:35 PM »
So pleased Riley seems to have turned a corner. Hope he is home very soon and they find out what the problem was. (Just read you had a new boiler put in recently, I know that carbon monoxide leaks can cause seizures, just a thought) but did you have it tested when it was put in? :doh:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 21:48:32 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2013, 21:05:57 PM »
Hoping you've all had a good day today, Helen.  :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2013, 20:03:04 PM »
Sorry forgot to put loads more good vibes for Riley  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2013, 20:02:02 PM »
So wonderful to hear this good news but slowly and surely for recovery, cats are so amazing  :hug: :hug:

Maybe some planks of wood to make a frame round the bottom of the bed?

Lupin says.......push shove.............I caught Riley a nice fat fly but its too hot and wont keep so had to eat it , sorry mate but will catch you anover when yous come home  ;D ;D

LuuuuuuuuuuuuuupiN

Oh from the pussymans mouth!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2013, 19:42:22 PM »
I'm so pleased that things seem to be moving in the right direction and that Riley has not had any more fits and his kidneys seem to be better too.  Fingers crossed that his progress continues and that he can come home safely soon x x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2013, 19:34:42 PM »
Do the legs on your bed unscrew, Helen? How about dismantling the bed entirely and just sleeping on the mattress on the floor? WE did this when we had the rooms upstairs decorating, it's really comfy actually but takes a dual effort to get up for a wee in the night  :-[

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2013, 19:20:47 PM »
Oh Helen Sweetie that is such brilliant news and a wonderful way to start the weekend - I am so happy for you and Riley and LU Lu xx  :hug:

if you are concerned about the bedroom do you have a room that you could maybe confine him to whilst he is recouperating.  Enjoy your weekend visits with your special boy xxx

The candle is still burning and will continue as long as needed and still sending love and heaps of healing vibes xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2013, 17:14:13 PM »
A few Dreamies is better than none  :Luv2: :hug:

Liver pate or cream cheese does the trick for me when hiding tablets Helen.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2013, 16:31:26 PM »
 :thanks: all - vibes still needed but I do feel that he's turned a corner. In a way the kidney/bladder op issues have stopped me worrying so much about his seizures, I just hope that we can get his medication levels right so that he can lead a normal life. At the moment he's still spaced out from the meds, he even has eye gel put on his eyes as he is not blinking as much as he should due to being spaced out  :shy: The vet mentioned that he will see an opthamologist today as he had a bit of discharge from one of his eyes which could be damage due to the fits but in the scheme of things I'm not too worried about that.

Riley says thanks for the offer of shrews and voles but he'll stick to the stuff in packets please. He wouldn't even sniff lick-e-lix when I bought it for him before but I have enough dreamies in to last a few months!

Will also need to brush up on my tablet hiding tricks and try and think of a way to block up underneath the beds long term. When I had a boiler fitted a few weeks ago I had arranged to take the boys to my Mum's to stay in her kitchen for the day to avoid all the noise/upheaval. I had to be back home by 8am but had left plenty of time... or so I thought. I thought Lu would be harder to catch so I tried to lure them both down by pretending to open the back door. True to form Riley came dashing down but Lu didn't, I wasn't that worried about Riley so decided to try and wait for Lu but Riley then twigged something was up when I didn't open the door and dashed upstairs under my bed. I tried poking him out with a stick but in the end had to take the mattress off (a VERY heavy pocket sprung kingsize, virtually impossible to move with one person) and then had to unscrew the plinths/batons to get to him. Can't be going through that come tablet time so will have to make sure he can't get under there.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2013, 16:13:25 PM »
I'm so pleased he seems to be on the mend.  He obviously still has a long way to go, but the signs are looking very positive and I really hope you can take him home soon  :hug:

Lick e lix are very popular with Jaffa although Mosi turns his nose up at them.

Link to CatChat