Author Topic: Introducing older cat into household  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Introducing older cat into household
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 13:00:25 PM »
Some of you will know that we have just taken my SIL's cat as she (SIL) is going off travelling.

We already have Alfie, a big handsome (neutered) boy of around 20 months who lived with his sibling for aprox 10 months before coming to us. He's very affectionate and playful, a bit of a mummy's boy.

Cleo was rehomed from a rescue centre, we think she is about 10. She is a small, fluffy lady who is very affectionate and purry towards us and is known to tolerate MIL's elderly cat when staying there.

Cleo is currently living in the spare bedroom and we are going in to give her as much attention as we can. She has also explored our bedroom and the lounge when Alfie has been out. Neither cat seems bothered by the scent of the other. The biggest problem with Cleo is that she Wants Out of the bedroom! I have cross-groomed and exchanged litter trays and, again, neither of them seem bothered by this.

Yesterday evening we popped Cleo into the quarantine cage and encouraged Alfie to come and say hello. Alfie put his head around door, Cleo hissed, Alfie ran way and refuses to get any nearer than the top of the stairs, even for Dreamies!

Part of my thinks that we should pop Cleo into the cage with the bedroom door open and just let Alfie get nearer in his own time - but this could mean poor Cleo being in the cage for several hours at a time, which doesn't seem fair.

Several people (not on this site) have said that Alfie should be in the cage as he is likely to be less frightened, generally, than Cleo for whom everything is new and strange. However, I think Alfie would be furious at this treatment. Cleo, I suspect, would just sashay off to check out the cat-flap, totally ignoring Alfie!

I know that it is really early days and I am prepared to take as much time as necessary to make this work for both cats. But part of me wants to get Cleo out of the one room as soon as possible. I will be honest and admit that it would also be easier for us too if we didn't have to keep disappearing into the spare room to spend time with Cleo!

Any suggestions as to what our next step should be and when please?

Link to CatChat