Author Topic: Feral & Stray Foundation News and Updates...  (Read 10232 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Feral & Stray Foundation News and Updates...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 22:44:37 PM »
That's bloomin fantastic Liz  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Proud to have you and all our rescues we support on board  :hug: :hug:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
Good work  :)

I really like your approach and would love to see every vet in the country having Sunday neuter clinics for ferals and strays (no pressure ;) ). We have a relatively large percentage of the unwanted cats and kittens that come into rescue in our county coming to us and all cats (including kittens) are netuered but it is making no impact on the number of calls we have about abandoned/stray pregnant and nursing cats. We have had two instances this year of people starting with one cat and ending up with 15+ within a couple of years just beacuse of lack of responsibility for neutering.

We can't force people to neuter but anyway of making it easier and lowering numbers of unnuetered strays and ferals has got to be part of getting the situation better managed. Good luck.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 19:52:50 PM »
It is amazing that you have managed to achieve all that single-handed!! thank god there are people like you around.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 19:15:01 PM »
This is totally amazing and well done Liz  :hug: :hug:

There is also some fab news to add to this and you will find my post in General Cat Chat, I have sent you a pm  ;D ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 16:17:04 PM »
you've done a huge amount in such a short time!

Offline FeralStrayFoundation

• Adult Cat
  • Adopt, don't buy!
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Ned, Nell, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Squirrel, Skunk, Forest, Oscar, Gladys, HRH Naughty Knickers, Rupert
Feral & Stray Foundation News and Updates...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 14:23:10 PM »
Hi all,

Firstly, I want to say a massive thank you to everyone for the amazing 'Save a Life' donation of £159.90.  :thanks: This is an amazing amount, and will castrate either 23 boys or spay 12 girls through the neutering scheme, with some left over for microchipping. I will be updating regularly on this thread about how the clinics are going, numbers we're neutering, locations where the clinics are being rolled out and taking place and other info I hope will be of use. Anyone is welcome to contact me through a private message, or via the email address for the foundation: feralregisteruk@gmail.com.

So a little info on how the foundation came about, and what we're doing. Firstly, when I say 'we', I actually mean 'me'! I'm a one-man-band. I'm a locum veterinary nurse, and I set up the foundation in honour of four 12-week-old semi-feral kittens and their mum who were put to sleep due to there being no where to go at that time. This was the first time that I have not been able to transport, rehome, get into foster or rescue, and it was absolutely heartbreaking. I was at an absolute loss. I think about these kittens a lot, and while I still get very upset about what happened, someone said to me a while ago 'but they didn't lose their lives in vain, because look what you're achieving and the lives you're saving.' That's very true, and I set up the foundation to raise awareness, promote adoption and never buying, to educate, set up neuter & chip clinics to reduce overpopulation through neutering, share kittens and cats needing rehoming, start a feral register in the hope that semi-feral and feral cats can be relocated and made safe, and fundraise through cards, calendars & gifts I produce to support the clinic costs. I am also passionate in helping senior cats find loving retirement homes. I always appreciate any help with finding places for semi-ferals and ferals, fundraising, items for auctions etc, as doing this alone is a lot of hard work for one person!

I have been a member of the forum for a few years, and personally use the username MarleyMoo, so you may have seen me loitering! I’m owned by 13 cats which have come home with me as hand-reared kittens, young adults, adults and seniors. We also have 3 dogs, 3 ferrets, 5 rabbits and pigeon! The majority of my animals came from my work as a nurse, not helped by the fact I have ‘SOFT TOUCH’ tattooed on my forehead that only animals can read!!

So, some info from the neutering clinics. I joined forces with an amazingly proactive branch manager of the RSPCA East Lincs, who secured initial funding to start the clinics, and through kind donations the foundation added to the funding pot. We have a pool of volunteer vets and nurse who offer their time and travel for free to run clinics once a month on a Sunday. We also have one practice in Boston, Lincs, who run the clinics by adding cats into their daily ops list. We have a handful of veterinary practices supporting the scheme and donating their premises for free on Sundays. This is currently happening in the East Lincs area, but we are getting huge interest from a number of organisations further afield and people in high-up places, and we go out and about doing presentations so the scheme can gradually be promoted and rolled out. The clinics were 5-months in the planning stage, making sure costs, numbers, legalities, insurances, volunteers etc were finely tuned and in place.

Since February, we have neutered 96 cats and microchipped 29. This doesn’t include the ones neutered on a daily basis through the Boston practice, and I’ll update these figures soon. We offer free neutering for feral, stray and unwanted cats, along with cats from those in receipt of benefits. We also offer a low-cost neutering service for people in receipt of low income. We ask for, and receive, donations at the time of neutering, and along with the ongoing donations raised through foundation, it means we have used very little out of the neutering fund, and this ensures we can continue to run the clinics and help as many cats as posssible.

We allow 15 castrations per clinic, and 10 spays, with an allowance for 2 more spays for any ferals that are trapped late. This ensures our volunteers have a break, don’t get too stressed, and it also restricts the number of cats moving around the clinic.

I secured a deal with Pet Protect to buy microchips for £1.19 inc. VAT, and these are used in the clinics where a donation of £7 per chip is requested. This helps a lot in keeping the fund ‘topped-up’. I also donate chips to stray animals in other parts of the country so they can be implanted for free, as I believe chipping is a massively important part of owning an animal.

I also have the support of Merial, one of the largest drug companies in the world, who donate free frontline spray for use on all feral and stray cats to ensure they have some cover before being rehomed, taken to rescue, or released.

I have lots more in the planning stages, and am getting lots of supportive and useful contacts for the scheme. I’ll also update about these regularly.

The Facebook page now has 524 supporters, of which many make regular contributions and donate items for auctions. I run auctions as and when I can find the time, and the first one I ran a couple of months ago raised an amazing £280.80 for the fund. For me, this is quite overwhelming. Never did I imagine I could achieve so much, but determination and passion are amazing traits!

Anyway, please feel free to ask any questions you have, visit the website or the Facebook page, and share info about the neutering clinics. The more cats we can help and save, the better.

You can visit the foundation website at: http://feralandstrayfoundation.co.uk/

Email: feralregisteruk@gmail.com

Thanks again everyone!  :Luv:

Liz xxx
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 21:02:40 PM by FeralStrayFoundation »

Link to CatChat