Author Topic: Indoor vs Outdoor life.  (Read 2593 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Indoor vs Outdoor life.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
Good luck with your decision.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
  • ᵔᵜᵔ Mackerel's and Mau's! ᵔᵜᵔ
  • Slave to: Yuki~Egyptian-Mau. Moshi~Mackerel-Tabby.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
It's that time! Moving time, we have a choice between two houses. Just making sure we do what's right for the kitties too. Both have enclosed gardens that I can modify. Can't wait to let them outside in the spring hehe.

° ° ° ° ° ° All my Kitties, Past and Present, will always be Loved ° ° ° ° ° °

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 18:19:57 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, seems they're mixed! But that's to be expected of course.
I'm undecided, but most likely I will be waiting until I move to a place with a kitty-proof garden, so they can have the best of both worlds without the
dangers of them. Even if it means putting something above the fencing, like netting for example.
Or somewhere that is quiet enough to let them roam by themselves.
Probably the former.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 17:34:52 PM »
All 8 of our cats are allowed 24/7 access with cat flap.  It has it's trials without doubt  :(  In fact Boris has been AWOL since 4am this morning and I'm worried sick.  Fingers crossed all will be well.

Its up to you at the end of the day.  Our house is in a nice green spot but, even though it's a quiet road, we did lose Aslan to the road back in September 2006.  Without a shadow of a doubt, he would have hated being indoor only though and I would never have tried to keep him in.  Other cats certainly tolerate it well though esp if they have never known anything else.

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
All my cats have been indoor cats, not really safe for them to go out with wild foxes, and very heavy traffic around. However, they have always been able to sit by the windows and get fresh air . Never heard any complaints from them and plenty baskets and meals available.  Billy might have made an odd remark in his cats section. :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 14:27:51 PM »
I think I would keep them indoors only until you live somewhere more safe.

Misa and Sasa go out in the back but cant get out anymore and have no inclination too cos both hate people and too many people and vehicles and kids on the track behind now.

Lupin only goes out with me and in a proper walking jacket, he has about 15ft roaming area all round while I am outside. So for last week as long as no very very loud noise he has been out about 4 hrs a day and then gets tired.

There is no way I would allow him out in the garden by himself cos he climbs and climbs and would be gone before I could even say Lupin.

Cats who have never been outside wont miss it, just keep them safe.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
My first cat was an indoor only cat and lived to be eighteen. She used to have a wander out into the garden when she was older but wouldn't if it was rainy or cold. Luna and Cleo have been with us now just over a year and whilst I've taken Luna outside on a lead Cleo is more nervous and wouldn't even contemplate it.
I don't think it does them any harm to stay in provided they have plenty of distractions and opportunity to play

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »
Thanks for all responses, its going to be a tough one, letting them out in the morning would be ideal, but if they didn't show up before I had to leave for work, I don't know what I'd do. I think I may have to wait until I move, and get a place with a back garden that i can cat proof. Cars are the biggest danger for me, and that they might get scared and dart to somewhere they don't know. Its all very scary, as its the first kitten I've ever owned that's not already experienced the great outdoors.
And given that she's a Mau, she's quite stealable.

I want to give her the freedom that my other cats experienced, but i dont think now is the right time, not sure.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »
This is a decision only you can make  :hug:

My 1st cat lived to be 26 and was an out door cat. My 2nd cat was out door and was killed in a RTA and after that I will never ever have an out door cat again.

It is nice to see them playing outside and great if you have cat protection in your garden.

My Bonnie is in door and happy as anything. Lots of love/toys/beds/food/treats - what more does she need  ;)

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 22:57:46 PM »
Our cats have always gone out until we got Callie and Monty. With the rising numbers of cars on our previously quite road and two cats killed recently we decided they would not be going out. Monty does ask it must be said but we have cat proofed a courtyard area for them so they do actually get out.
They are quite nervous and not the best coordinated so if something spooked them and they ran up one of the huge trees here we'd never get them down!
I do find they do not seem to catch things like the others used to mind you. If a move is imminent then I'd delay the decision till them if I were you.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 22:00:32 PM »
I tend to err on the side of caution too. My cats are indoors for all but an hour in the morning (very early morning before other humans are awake). Since I live in the country this also avoids traffic risks as well. It lets them have some fresh grass, go hunting (they usually bring home a mouse) and yet they are spending the rest of their time indoors. On-cost in litter and toys is minimal considering the other costs that would arise if vets were involved. And your babes are safe, happy warm and comfortable - what more could you (or they) want?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 19:02:20 PM »
In an ideal world cats would be able to roam free with no fear of getting lost, getting run over, being attacked by dogs or even nasty humans. But sadly it's not an ideal world we live in so anyone letting their cats out has to accept that their are going to be risks involved in doing so. The vast majority of cats who go outside will live long and happy lives without being affected by any of the above.

You mentioned waiting to move somewhere with a more protected garden, are you looking to move in the near future? If you are and cat proofing is a consideration then I think in your shoes I would keep them in on the basis of what they don't know they won't miss. My two were indoor only for the first year of their lives and if I hadn't moved I would still have kept them in. I now live very close to a 60mph road (although the road is shielded by a mini forest) so have a catproofed garden which is the best of both worlds in my opinion. It needn't be expensive, as long as you have fencing in good order you can DIY it for around £100.

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
Indoor vs Outdoor life.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 18:35:51 PM »
In a few months Yuki will be reaching her young adult stage, (I hope) and I'll have to decide whether or not to let her outside, or keep her indoors. Moshi has been outside in the past, but not since he's been with me.
I don't worry about him so much, he's pretty streetwise I imagine.
But Yuki I worry about, every time I think of it.
All my other cats have been free to roam outdoors, and only one of them ever left home permanently.

I only have a front garden here, in a quiet street. Maybe I should wait until I move to somewhere with a more protected garden.
Let them out only for a few hours a day when i am home, or never let them out. Everrrrr!
 Any ideas?

Link to CatChat