Author Topic: Moving house, cat flaps and vacuum cleaners.  (Read 14095 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Moving house, cat flaps and vacuum cleaners.
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »

And cats are definitely getting bigger  :evillaugh:

Loving the piccies Gill  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »
I think the flaps are getting smaller!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 23:58:47 PM »
If Misa can get through it then I'm sure Fred can! He's not as fluffily wide as Misa, more of a traditional British black and white neutered tom. He grew large on Asda's own Tiger food when I had the colony of eight (kept him and Vic, rehomed the others). I seem to grow big cats, Lucy and Cydric are large also.

I have an ebay account; I sometimes buy cheap Chinese fountain pens from there, but will take a walk down to the local shopping precinct where there's a (very expensive) pet shop, so that I can see the flaps in person. Will buy them from the cheapest option.

So it will be either the Staywell big flap 280 or the large Cat Mate.
I'm sure cat flaps are getting smaller, or are the cats getting bigger?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 23:59:34 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 20:19:49 PM »
What a lovely big boy he is!  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 17:29:06 PM »
Forgot cant measure cos cant see as has a tray taped across!

However have found the packet for the one for shed which is the same............Cat Mate large cat flap 4 way locking and size to get through is 7 1/8 x 7 1/2 inches (180 x 190 mm) will also take small dogs up to 14 inches shoulder height like yorkies, mimi poodles, pekesm dashounds, spamiels.

Whisker siz not important as both mine have long whiskers  and top whiskers too. Picture of Misa !

I think I had a large Staywell with a sliding partion in london

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 16:58:39 PM »
Just about surviving thanks

I will go and measure my flap cos huge Misa gets through, well did when it wasnt blocked off and Sasa did too

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »

Aw poo!   :(

Staywell do a "Big Flap 280 series" and I know petmate used to do a large cat flap which was retailing around £18.00.

Got a link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/large-cat-flap

Quite a lot to choose from on there, but if you dont have an ebay account they'll be available elsewhere too.   :)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
Oh dear! I hope you're surviving, Gill.

Problem with the cat flap. I opened the Amazon parcel to find a flap which Fred could in no way squeeze through. I even went round the house measure cats' whiskers! (I was always told that their whiskers are the widest part of their body.) So I'm having to return this one.

So I'm looking for a non-microchip one (the mc catflap will be put in later) which large cats could get through. Fred especially is a large cat, but only George could have got through the Cat Mate flap: he's little and cute.

At the old house I used to have Staywell flaps, not sure which models, but Fred had to squeeze through those after meals. He isn't a fat cat, just big.

Any flap suggestions welcomed by Monsters Inc.  :shocked:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 00:57:27 AM »
Its not here especially if you are English!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 22:46:09 PM »
I imagine that Wales is a nice place to live, why bother coming back here?

I've told the cats that the flap is on its way, but they want it now!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 22:46:37 PM by Hippykitty »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 16:39:05 PM »
House moving is on the top of the stress table!

I agree so much hassle and although I would love to come back to England I get older every year and dont think i could face it again.

that flap is the one i have on outside door and really cant understand why sureflap didnt consider a normal size flap that 7.5 kg cats could get through!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »
After everything, I've gone for this: Cat Mate - 235W - 4 Way Locking Cat Flap/Door With Liner - White (from Amazon UK), because the sizes of the panel-locking Staywell ones were either too small for my monster Fred, or too big and would allow a burglar through.  :scared:

The heavy rain earlier in the week exposed problems in the side utility area, which will need considerable work, plus a new roof (corrugated plastic to replace cracked glass) and I'm going to replace the rotting wooden walls with brick on two and an half sides (one side is already built up to waist level). Because of this, I'm leaving purchasing the microchip flap for now and will put it into a newer door later. For now, I'm just going to clear all 'valuables' out of the side area and leave the door into the garden open, so that when the cats go through the flap in the kitchen door they can walk through the ramshackle 'utility area' into the garden.

I'm hoping I don't have visitors because there are no ferals round here; just keeping fingers crossed that the abundant local squirrels don't find their way in.  :shify:

House moving! I don't recommend it! I'm glad to be out of the former area, but it is all so much hassle.  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:18:34 AM by Hippykitty »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 15:17:20 PM »
A flap will go in that door it just makes it a bit harder as you have to cut thro the thick bits and you will need to use a filler maybe although if its indoors maybe not

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 23:59:24 PM »
My door is a bit like the pic I'll try to attach except that there isn't the space at the bottom because the panels go further down. This is the door I want to put the panel-locking flap in. It leads from the kitchen into a poorly-built utility area.

The SureFlap will go into a door which leads from the utility area into the garden. I'm not so concerned about this door as I might have it changed anyway.

Thanks so much for all the advice, it's really helpful. I think I'll probably have to get the pet version of the SureFlap because Fred is a big cat.  :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 15:17:54 PM »
My door has panels like the top right one...........no the fat parrt goes all arounf at the bottom height of the long panels so had to cut through it, flap is a 4 way locking one and i would go for the biggest size you can get.

misa cant get through the small sure cat one and dont think sasa would be able to either........make sure you get your cat and flap measurements sorted before you buy.

the other thing to note is there doors tend to be a long way off the ground outside so unless you have a step you may need to make one. i had to put slabs of pavement 2 pr 3 layers so sasa with sort legs coud manage ane even misa need with his long leg...............why is nothing straight forward!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »

HK - this is the sort of thing I mean -  Plenty of UPVC panels can be replaced, but it isnt necessary.  This gives some good examples of what people do/have done:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+flaps+in+upvc+doors+with+panels&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CqfLUsK3J5CShge4rYCIAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=1173

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 19:36:27 PM »
I would say the pet door, out of the two to avoid any tight squeezes.  ;)  and yes should be fine in the kind of door you have - don't be put off if you get a knock back from the first two or three people you try, although a handyman type of guy sounds good.

Squirrel watch.  :evillaugh:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 17:52:44 PM »
Thanks Sue, that info is really helpful. I think the Amazon reviews did mention that they'd had similar flaps from Staywell in the past and that the quality was much better. I'm going to have to buy these and the SureFlap type for the outside door soon, because the cats are constantly meowing with boredom.

I've been getting to know my neighbours and have discovered that one of them is in the home maintenance business so I may ask him to install the flaps. Hopefully he'll know what he's doing. I don't want it installed into double glazing but into a pvc door - those white, half-glazed things.

A couple of my cats are big, so would you recommend the SureFlap cat or pet door?
Thank you so much for all the help and advice.
BTW the cats love the area: the quiet; the "squirrel tv" through the french windows; and the absence of constant building work from property developers. The only building noise will come from work I've got to have done  :Arrrrh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 07:10:29 AM »
Hippykitty - I had two of the type I originally referred to, and never had a spot of bother with either of them - in fact we only replaced the last one with a Sureflap scanner type because it was smashed by an intruder cat (the insert wasnt in place, the flap was just operating normally, but the huge intruder Tom panicked, hurtled straight at and through the flap smashing the whole thing due to the force of exit and his overall size - irresistible force and immovable object physics came into play!  :innocent:)

If you're not looking for anything fancy, they're cheap, sturdy and do the job well.  Once the insert is in place, the flap is secure. Hope that helps.

And yes, you can put a flap into a UPVC panel, in spite of what they tell you about this having to be done at the time of manufacture.  You will need to seal the flap sides with a good weatherproof sealant.  If you weren't too  confident, you could replace the whole panel with a new one - again, most competent installers will be happy to supply you with a new panel at not a huge cost.  We got a number of quotes of late when we were looking to fit a flap in a UPVC door - in the end it suited us to get a completely new door, but the options are certainly there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 19:22:10 PM »
I had one of the those staywell ones for years in London, simple and effective.

Cant imagine why it has bed reviews.

I have a fourway locking flap that I put into a pvc double glazed door here, not as easy to pur in as in a wood door,,,,,,,,,,or is it I am just older and doing things at low level with a balance problem is hard!

I cant remember if the staywell one comes with the fixings for a thicker door so you would have to check.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 14:38:06 PM »
Don't know how to do linked quotes, but on May 21st Sue said:
Staywell do a flap that you just slip a plastic cover into the guide rail effectively sealing off the flap, and that should do the trick adequately well.
I've looked this up on Amazon, it has some very bad reviews. I wondered if another company made one.

Instead of the knob which locks the flap - which many cats, like mine, can hook up, - you put a panel over the entire cat flap, preventing it from opening. If you have never come across this system, then you probably don't know of any makes. Thanks anyway.

Also, is it possible to put a flap into a pvc panelled door, as opposed to a flat wooden one (which I had at my old house)?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 14:39:55 PM by Hippykitty »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 18:28:58 PM »
Sorry donr know what a panel system is

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 17:25:12 PM »
Sorry for yet again raising this thread, but it will soon be time to have the cat flaps put in. I've decided upon the SureFlap for the door into the garden, but I'll need to put one into the kitchen door which leads into the garage (where the door into the garden is).

My cats can break open the type with the four-way locking system, so I'm looking for one I can lock using a panel system. Does anyone know who still makes these?

Thanks for all your help.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 16:02:33 PM »
Dysons are not unreliable and their site is great, to get spare bits..........I have the first model dyson and had to replace the handle unit a couple of years ago.

Another thing is that they are easy to change bits.

I have 3 long haired cats and fur collection no problem................long hair is a pain though cos it wraps round the roller  but guess I should pay  more attention and clear the roller more often!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
What about and Orek? They are very light weight and do an excellent job, the canister cleaner is also great for doing the stairs and for wandering around getting the ceiling cobwebs off as it has a shoulder strap you can attach. http://www.qvcuk.com/Oreck-XL-Power-Team-Lightweight-Vacuum-with-Canister-Vac-%26-Accessories.product.800035.html?sc=800035-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-3-_-800035

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 01:35:32 AM »
Within reason, cost isn't an issue, it's more important to get something which will do the job and last. I looked at some reviews on Amazon and youtube, the upshot of which was that the Dysons are unreliable and the Miele cat and dog vac is heavy (the upright). I generally prefer uprights to cylinders, they seem less work somehow.

I'll also be buying a handheld model, whether a Dyson or other make I haven't decided. I've never owned a Dyson and don't know if they are worth the hype. I have owned a Hoover bagless, didn't mind emptying it, but there was no suction from the attachments. I fell out of love with that very quickly, plus I hated the expense of changing the filters.

Almost everyone I know with animals says "Dyson Animal" but there are so many models of them that it gets really confusing.

With five cats, I get a heavy load of cat fur in the house - I'm sure many can relate to this - so need a machine which won't clog up and die at the first touch of cat fur, not to mention my own long hair.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 15:49:14 PM »
Thank you
I knew there had to be somethinh more high tech than drag around  :naughty:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 14:39:34 PM »
I've also got hard floors downstairs and carpets upstairs and my Miele works well on both.  When I got my latest one it came with a mini turbo for the stairs, which is a lot easier than using the full size brush head.  I also use this or the upholstery brush to de-fluff the furniture.

My mum had an upright Dyson which certainly picked up Persian cat hair from carpets. She lived in a bungalow, so didn't have the stairs problem.  I found it heavy to use and fiddly to use the attachments, although their newer cylinder cleaners look less clunky.

I also prefer bags to having to empty out the fur/grot. 

I had a miele cat and dog which was good but as it was a (help what are they called)

cylinder cleaner  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 22:50:12 PM »
lol.................I cant do brushing cos just sneeze and sneeze lol.............better just to leave the fur!!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 22:45:58 PM »
Probably true but its light enough to do each tread but not good enough for the edges and corners.

I think I probably need some really expensive light and quite thing I cant afford. Sadly until then its a brush on the stairs or borrow my Dad to hoover  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 22:30:07 PM »
But that wont do stair carpets

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 22:12:43 PM »
I had a miele cat and dog which was good but as it was a (help what are they called) drag around not upright it hurt my back. That said I now have a dyson animal which is upright but so heavy and noisy I dont use it much.

I tend to use a http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21605/GTECH-Rechargeable-Cordless-Sweeper-SW02?src=gfeed&gclid=CIHc36W8g7sCFRIPtAodxDEAVQ

daily downstairs and a brush in the kitchen

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 17:50:44 PM »
I have the first dyson lol.........cant afford to update but they are great cept for stairs..............just too heavy

I think a handheld dyson for stairs and furniture would be great

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 09:09:22 AM »
I've had both which is why have a sebo lol - the dyson I hated the cloud of dust when emptying and the miele died after six months

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »
Sorry to raise this thread, but the time has come to purchase the vacuum. I'm torn between Miele and Dyson (plus a handheld Dyson for the stairs). Has anyone used both makes? If so, what are your opinions of them. It's a lot of money to make a mistake!

The downstairs of the house is mostly laminate flooring, but the upstairs and the stairs themselves are carpeted. Also need the vacuum to get fur off the furniture. If there are better ways of getting fur off upholstery, please tell me.

Thanks.  :thanks:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
Frances, I thought the same thing. She's basically going to gut the place, build an extension on the back and convert the three bedrooms into five or six by extending into the attic. If she does anything like the developer next door, she'll knock the walls back to the bricks and replaster. Next door, they knocked out all the internal walls and restructured the inside. In fact, they're still working on the house. After redevelopment, the market value of the house nearly doubles. So it seemed very strange to me that with a gang of workmen here knocking down the walls, making a mess, she'd be bothered about carpets and 'rubbish' (boxes of books).

Sue, thanks, that's what I thought. I've read that exchange is legally binding so you can't change your mind between exchange and completion; you have to be certain that you want to go through with the purchase before exchange. I could, in theory, sue her for breach of contract if she failed to complete.
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any hazardous substances in the house or on the land  :shocked:

If she tries any more silly tricks like this I'm putting the house back on the market until exchange.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »

Hippykitty - in answer to your question, basically yes, she would have found it very difficult to enforce such a clause, as it's contra to the basic terms of the standard contract for sale used in England and Wales.

You can ask someone to remove rubbish, but it's not likely a court would uphold it a a dealbreaker of a contract term, save in certain limited circumstances (an example being where a contaminated site needs to be professionally cleared of heavy metals sayif you were selling land which had formerly been used as a garage, as certain fluids and contaminants may be found in components used in car maintenance and repair)

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 18:00:39 PM »
I'm considering a Miele vacuum cleaner. I've watched various comparisons on youtube and they seem best at picking up cat hair.
I have a Miele Cat 'n' Dog cylinder; they're not the cheapest but they do what they say on the tin.

Your buyer doesn't sound much of a developer.  When I left London I sold my flat to a developer who basically said don't worry about cleaning up because I'm going to gut it :Crazy:.  I did whizz the hoover Miele over the carpets before I left (and I did leave a large mirror in the shed  ;)).

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 17:35:04 PM »
About the cat flaps: I'll get a Sureflap pet door for the outside door, which leads into a utility area which I'll probably use as a store room. The door into the kitchen and main house area will be a Staywell which I can put a plastic cover over. My cats can lift a locked Staywell flap which doesn't have a cover  :evillaugh:

I'm considering a Miele vacuum cleaner. I've watched various comparisons on youtube and they seem best at picking up cat hair.

Sue, does that mean the 'get out clause' wouldn't have been legally binding? Very interesting, thanks.
Complaining about a curtain pole in the shed? The buyers should have been grateful for the gift! Some people try anything.  >:(

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »
Cat flaps - we just have an old fashioned one, but I would say get one with a lockiing over flap so no one can see through if your on holiday etc.

Vacuums - We have a Henry which has dealt with a lot of hair but isn't an upright.

Good luck with the move.

Link to CatChat