Author Topic: Anti-Freeze  (Read 9952 times)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Re: Anti-Freeze
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 21:36:39 PM »
There have been alot of cases in the borough where i live and sadly that was what caused the death of my beloved penny a few years back :( i think the companies that make it should reformulate it so that it doesnt smell so attractive to cats. Its heartbreaking to watch your cat suffer and die from the poisonous effects  :'(

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yogi, Daisy, Skye, Tiggy, Sally & Charlie
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 19:55:04 PM »
It is horrible, there were 48 poisonings in Somerset. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9231121/Pet-owners-lock-up-cats-indoors-as-anti-freeze-killer-claims-48th-victim.html

I think I remember a campaign being started to add something that tastes revolting to antifreeze, at the moment it is actually attractive to small mammals. I can't find it just at the moment but will keep searching.

ETA, Found it, it is called the Stop the Blue Deaths campaign. https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-eu-parliaments-law-defra-ban-all-antifreeze-preparations-unless-they-contain-a-bitterant
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 19:59:39 PM by YogiDot »

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 17:20:12 PM »
we have two areas now locally that have had suspicious amonts of cats with anti-freeze poisoning. i worry that any cat hater can 'accidently' spill anti freeze and the more people know how effective it is as a poisen the more people will do it.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 22:52:02 PM »
So do I

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 22:48:41 PM »
I know its good to let people know, but hope most people have enough sense not to let it put ideas into their heads  >:(
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 22:42:34 PM »
So do I.

It's a fair way away, both over the other side if the county so at least an hour's drive but there will always be idiots who think its a good idea to try it out.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 22:32:55 PM »
Awful, I hope it does get persued  :'(

Is that very far from you then?

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 22:21:42 PM »
I read it in the paper but will try to find it.
Yes, in Harwich the police believe someone was doing it ok purpose.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 22:19:10 PM »
Is there a link to an article online? Do you mean people are leaving contaminated meat out on purpose to poison the cats???!

I know a fella I used to work with - they think his sisters dogs got poisoned by someone putting anti-freeze through an open window in their conservatory... Awful...

Luckily we live in (hopefully) a very animal friendly area, honestly I've never known anywhere like it! Every other house has a cat or two, and those that don't seem to have dogs.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Anti-Freeze
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 17:12:52 PM »
Just reading an article in the Evening Standard about "cat killer fears".
After a spate of deaths in Harwich recently police are investigating meat contaminated with it but residents in Shoebury fear that six recent cat deaths are due to a cat killer using anti freeze.

Link to CatChat