Author Topic: Fostering  (Read 1438 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Fostering
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 14:20:37 PM »
They're probably over-worked and not had the time or energy. I know a lady who runs my local cat rescue quite often gets offers of help, she says its really time consuming as the helper needs to be more thoroughly vetted than adopters, then when they realise the realities of fostering frequently change their minds and leave the rescue with cats they have no room for. Not suggesting for one moment anyone here would be so fickle or naive but this has been her experience.

If you are really serious, a personal visit is likely to be the way to get noticed. Then they can interview you without the extra bother of setting up appointments etc. If this doesn't work, contact your local small independent rescue and see if they can use you?  :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Fostering
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 13:22:11 PM »
I think it's the same across the board sadly... I have had the same problems. Refusals of help on the phone when I have called and no replies to emails.

Hopefully someone will eventually come back to you
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
I contacted the RSPCA with a view to becoming a homechecker in 2006.  I had just been homechecked for Fred and was really upset at having to wait so long so thought they would be interested.  They never responded to either internet contact or letter direct to manager of our local centre so think maybe telephone call might be the right way although trying to get through to local RSPCA is always a challenge. 

May be they thought I was not the right material having had to put up with my incessant attempts to get them to release my Fred to me.  I wasn't in a good place at the time having recently lost Aslan to an RTA so may well have come across as a bit of a nutter .......... sometimes I can't hide it  ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
How strange, I agree about phoning them as even though we are in the 21st century some people still prefer the phone.  I must admit I sent someone an email the other day and asked about 4 questions and got a reply to one question.  Next email Igot another anwer and I still have no answer to the other questions  ;)

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
I've had this experience. Did you phone them? I'd say giving them a ring is the best way. Emails have never worked for me.

I wasn't working for 3 months about 3 years ago so I contacted a cat rescue to ask if they needed any help. I said I could help with admin, finance etc or anything they needed. After 3 months they contacted me to say could I go down for an interview and sorry they had taken so long they were behind on their admin. If they had contacted me straight away I would have been happy to work virtually full time for them. But by the time they contacted me I was back at my old job so had no time. Unfortunately lots of shelter although they need help aren't always very organised.       

I alway found it frustrating when I volunteered at the local shelter. I felt that I could do so much more for them but they didn't seem to want me to.

I don't really know what the answer is but definitely keep trying it's worth it in the end the cats need all the help they can get. 

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzy, Brandy, Kitty and Toby the Springer Spaniel
Fostering
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
I contacted a large cat rescue several weeks back about fostering for them. They responded saying they would come back to me - heard nothing though so I chased them. They read my message but I still didn't get a response so I have again chased them today. I also contacted another organisation and again so respose.

I appreciate they are volunteers busy running their own lives as well as rescue but I would have thought at this time of year, they really needed fosterers.

Just frustrating when you can't get a response!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:27:36 AM by Charlie_Bear »

Link to CatChat