Author Topic: Sureflap - making progress!  (Read 22197 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Sureflap - still not working for Geoffrey!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
My boy Tufty has just learned how to use the sureflap after almost two years! Poor little man, not blessed in the brains dept I'm afraid but the recent cold snap focused his lovely, vacant eyes and he can now get in as well as out.

One of my girls, Polly, had a bit of trouble too, she's a small cat and it was her height that caused the problem. If you put a thick book or a slab by the flap the extra height gives them a bit more leverage to get through the tunnel until they master the technique, then you can do away with the step.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:52 AM »

Wuzzie - thanks for the offer - we wish we knew where BBC and Leaner Counterpart lived, but alas, they can be very light on their loafers when making good their escape, and we haven't been able to establish where they are, but keep that engine revving....  ;)

Fluffybunny, my OH had very similar views.  Wasnt at all keen on the idea, but I went ahead and ordered the flap without really telling him (I may have muttered something whilst tapping away feverishly on thepooter keyboard as I completed the order form - maybe) and when we first tried to get it operational I think he was on the verge of beating me to death with the Manual.  :evillaugh:

He's really come round to it now though, and I think if you can get the difficulty with Geoffrey sorted out, they'll settle down to using the flap.  But I do know how awful it is to see them trying to get in, and not being able to manage it - it nearly made us quit with it too.....  :hug:

In the space of fourteen days I think Dickie lost three collars with the microchip disc on - it cost me a small fortune in collars and spare disks.  Still, he's got his own microchip flap now, and he's chipped as well, so that was a result, if nothing else.  :)

Offline wuzzie

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 00:52:41 AM »
Where does this BBC stay? I will arrange for "da boys" to come round and give him the super soaker treatment, drive by style. :sneaky:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 19:27:31 PM »
DH is away the week after next, so I hope to get it to the stage where it is fully functional for them both by the time he returns  :shify:  :evillaugh:

His main objections seem to be a fear that it will malfunction and that they will get shut out, and that as the tunnel is longer, Milly struggles with getting through it, which he doesn't think is fair.  If I hold the flap open, Milly gets through it fine, so I think it is the weight of the flap rather than the tunnel itself which is more of a problem.   He also doesn't see the point in the curfew function, as he prefers to physically barricade it off, as he wants them to know that whenever the flap is visible, it is open to them.  Whereas I would prefer the curfew to just activate itself so even if there is no-one home, they get shut in safely at a suitable time. 

Fingers crossed we can get it working and that I win this one  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 19:05:11 PM »

Ask DH to give them a chance.  :hug: :hug:  It will be so worthwhile if you can get it to work.  The magnets do make it harder to push open, as the flap is that much larger, but I swear if Ross the Tapper can manage it, anyone can.   :naughty:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 18:01:47 PM »
Thanks - they've been in contact today asking more questions so hopefully I will have some suggestions from them very soon.

I've swapped it back to the other cat flap for now as Milly was also really struggling to use it even on non-chip mode. I think either the door is heavier or the magnet is stronger than their normal flap, she pushes her head against it but can't quite get it open unless I help her. So I have also asked if it's possible to take one of the magnets out to see if that makes a difference.

I must sound like a nightmare to them, but I really, really want this to work and I know I've only got limited grace with DH who thinks it's a stupid idea and that we should just stick with the existing flap.  But I really think this will be better so I'm determined not to give up!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 20:17:58 PM »

You can extend the range of the chip scanner, but I can't remember how.  Sureflap will be able to tell you how to do this, but may be able to suggest a working alternative if that doesn't do the trick.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 18:24:40 PM »
Thanks Sue - I have a horrible feeling that the reason it's not working for Geoffrey is going to be because the biotherm chips have a smaller range (I read somewhere that their read range can be as low as 4-5cm whereas a standard chip is nearer 14-15) and because he is a bigger cat, maybe it's just not getting near enough to the sensors.  He's happily using the flap today with the RFID collar tag, but like I said before, that's not a sustainable long-term solution as he does lose his collar - not least if he has a fight with psycho - and that's the very time I need him to be able to get indoors and away from him!  Milly's chip is working with it, but she is really reluctant to use it; she clearly doesn't like the click and finds the tunnel a bit cumbersome.  I've got it set on the lengthy lock time at the moment, so that she has plenty of time to think about coming in once the chip has been read.  Hopefully she'll get used to it fairly quickly. 

I really hope there is a solution to the issue with Geoffrey's chip.  If the worst comes to the worst, would it be a problem to have him re-chipped?  I guess it would smother the 'signal' from the biotherm so it would be thermometers up botty from then on, but it might at least mean that both of them could use the flap without their collars.  I'd really rather not though if there is any other way round it!  I can see that it is a brilliant product and I'm sure I'll be really happy with it if only I can get it to work for both of them...I'll keep you posted once I've spoken with Sureflap next week  :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 17:27:34 PM »
Ah - they do state in the instructions that some electrical items or metal strips in door construction can interfere with the flap operation, but Sureflap should get back to you, probably after the weekend to assist.  We were frustrated too, but is worth trying to iron out as flap really is worthwhile  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 13:55:06 PM »
Thanks - I've pinged them a 'contact us' form so hopefully they'll be in touch early in the week. 

I've part-solved the collar RFID problem, I've tried switching off the nearby pet water fountain and it is now finding the chip on Geoffrey's collar (but not his implanted chip) so maybe the interference from that was not helping initially.  I still need to make sure it works whatever way his collar twists round though, and it still doesn't resolve either the not-finding-his-chip or the random changing of mode things.  But each little step helps.  I reaaaallly hope this can be resolved so that it does work for both of them, I will be so much happier with a chip catflap and especially one that I can set to lock and unlock.  Will see what next week brings! 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 18:26:29 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 13:16:05 PM »
Maybe talk to Sureflap and then if it still doesnt work properly ask them for a replacement.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Re: Sureflap curfew mode - quick question
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
Gaaaah, just typed a long reply only for there to be an error message when I pressed post so I've lost it all!

Thanks Sue - I'm getting increasingly frustrated and disappointed now  :( It definitely knows his tag, I learnt them both separately and it does sometimes find it if I concertina him up in the cat flap, but it just doesn't find it when he's attempting to get in as normal.  He's pressing his face right against the catflap and it just won't open  :( 

I had a flash of inspiration and registered the RFID tag which I have attached to his collar - not ideal long term as he does lose collars so then it still doesn't solve it - and it won't even find that to open the flap in time!  It is working, because when I put the collar on my hand and push it into the tunnel it works (if I put my fist in to activate the sensor and then wave the tag just at the entrance to the tunnel it works), but when it's on his neck it's not finding it no matter how hard he presses his little face into the flap.  I know he's a big cat but he's not a giant and he'll have a shorter head/neck than some of the dogs this flap is designed for so I just don't understand why it won't find it in time for it to open.

Do you happen to know if any of the non-defined custom modes either increase the scanner strength (and presumably decrease battery life) or set the curfew mode to lock both ways?  Either of those might at least provide a temporary fix before my OH insists that we give up and go back to the normal catflap. 

www.frustrated.com

Edit: I'm beginning to think it might be faulty - whether or not that has any bearing on it reading Geoffrey's chip I don't know - but it keeps on changing its mode every time there is any movement around the flap.  So Geoffrey just came tearing in it (while it's on non-chip mode) and as the door banged shut, the mode changed to lock out.  Also the time keeps resetting itself briefly to 12:00 whenever I take the cover off the display panel - and then changes back again a few seconds later.   I can't risk the mode changing itself when it might end up locking the cats out, so I think I'm going to have to take it back out again and give customer services a ring on Monday.  Sighs.  Why is nothing simple! 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:07:52 PM by fluffybunny »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
Just a suggestion, but we had a similar "problem" which turned out to be the way we'd interpreted the instructions. 

When we initially got the flap installed, we set it to operate a normal manual door until the boys got a chance to get used to it.  When we then went to use it in "chip reading" mode, we set it in to learn mode, but we didn't realise once a chip had been learnt, it re-sets to normal mode and wont then learn the chip of the next cat through unless the learn mode is re-set.  This meant that Dickie (being first cat through) was "learnt" but not Ross, so when we then had let Ross out of the back door, he couldnt get back in - but we didnt realise.  Then Dickie lost his tag (at the time he wasn't micro-chipped, so we had an RDF tag on his collar) so we had to re-set everything for him.  When we tried to set up curfew initially we boogered the job (not sure how, but we did - too many cooks probably!  :evillaugh:) and were becoming increasingly frustrated and convinced the flap wasn't working properly.

What we did eventually was go back to square one - we cleared the memory, then took the batteries out.  This takes it back to factory default settings, and then you can just put it in learn mode, and away you go.  One cat through, then re-set to learn mode and encourage second pud through.

Try putting Geoffrey through first, as you already know for sure that Milly's chip works with the flap.

Both the boys were wary of the soft click at first, but they've now figured out to listen for the click before trying the door.  You may remember that Ross is, by habit, a flap tapper and doesn't always approach a flap head on, but it hasn't stopped him being able to use the flap successfully. 

Am ashamed to say my hubby did the "waving the cat at the flap thing too" (even though it tells you in the manual not to do it  :evillaugh::-[

Persevere.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 19:53:27 PM »
Oh poor Geofrey

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 19:18:46 PM »
Well it's arrived! We're part way there, it is fine with Milly (albeit she is a bit suspicious of the click and jumps back out of the cat flap) but it seems to be having trouble scanning Geoffrey's chip :-/ It found the chip to do the initial registration (just...after much waving of him through it) but he's been outside the cat flap pressing his face against it and now it's operating normally, it just won't find him  :( so for now I've set it to 'no chip' mode so it's operating like a normal non-selective cat flap, with curfew set.

There's a theoretical risk that psycho could find himself locked in the house with them if he happens to come in at or after the time the cat flap locks, but we are home all evening at the moment so it shouldn't be a problem.  I guess I will leave it on non-chip mode for a while to let them get used to it and then maybe try turning the chip thingy on again and having another go when they're a bit less suspicious of the new thing.  It may be that it needs a step or something outside it to get the angle right to read his chip - but he's bigger than her so if that was the issue I think it would be more likely that hers would be the problem.  Maybe because he is so big, the chip is a bit too far back and it isn't reading it until he's got his face right squashed into the flap (by which time he has given up and wandered off dejected).  Ho hum...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 19:59:28 PM by fluffybunny »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »

It was really thanks to Sheila that we got ours.  OH was also very scpetical whereas I had a more open mind on the idea.   But oH has really become a huge proponent of the flap, and honestly I'd be happy to work for the company, I really would.  Its such a fab and well thought out product, but as I say, the fact the manufacturer actually cares about his customers is beyond value.

I just know the lads are happy now, secure in the knowledge they can get in and the BBC can't, and I'm not having to be constantly alert to "trouble" such as BBC smashing his way through the flap when he got trapped in the house.

Setting the flap to "curfew" mode is very easy - it works like setting a digital alarm clock.  You set the time of day first of all, then you set the times that you want the flap to close at night, and open in the morning.  The flap then sets itself. 

I can't wait to see what you make of it when you get your flap and instal it.  I really think you'll be pleased with it.  :hug:  And more to the point, so will Geoffrey and Molly.   ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 20:12:36 PM »
Thank you - it's all terribly reassuring that they get in quickly and safely even if Big Burglar, aka Psycho in my case, is in hot pursuit...and that the flap closes to the right place and locks before the aforementioned bully can get in.  I can't wait!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 19:48:19 PM »
It's quick - Ross is a flap rapper and it opens even when he's tapping away to one side, but when either one of them is being pursued by Big Burglar Cat they hurtle at the flap from outside and have utter faith in it opening (and it does!)  :) :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Thanks for your help  :wow:

One more question (sorry!) How quickly does the door unlock when sensing the chip? Geoffrey has a habit of accelerating down the garden at full speed and crashing straight through the door, making an awful racket  :rofl: will he attempt this once and realise that it hurts his nose, or will it be fast enough to open as he runs into it?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 19:44:00 PM »
The cats seem to have got used to knowing when the flap is open and when it's closed - I think possibly the quiet "click" the flap makes when it opens helps with that, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  And no, it's not impacting on the batteries so far - they tell you the batteries last around 6 months but most people seem to get longer than that.  We have 2 cat's using the flap regularly so it gets a fair amount of action.   :)  Sheila of course has even more cats and lots more action and hasn't reported any difficulties either.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
Great, thanks for the reassurance - I can't wait! My oh is really sceptical, he likes the cat flap to be physically barricaded at night so they can't see the flap at all; he thinks they need to understand that the flap is always open to them when they can see it. I don't think that is such a big deal, but there's no reason we can't barricade it as well if we're home, I guess.

One more question - does having it on curfew mode all the time seem to drain the batteries more quickly? The manual seems to suggest that a time is displayed when curfew is set; what sort of battery life are you getting? Thanks!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
 :wow:  You wont be disappointed with your flap, honestly - it's great.  And yes, even if Geoffrey and Millie slipped out by accident, once the curfew mode is set they'll still be able to get in, just not back out again.

We use ours all the time on that setting, although occasionally it means we hear Dickie battering at the flap to be out at 4 a.m instead of 5 a.m. which is our designated opening time.  :innocent:  Seeing as the clocks go forward this weekend, we're going to move the opening time forward too to 4 a.m., so we dont get woken quite so early with a demand to be out.  :tired:

Ross was indeed a bit too "comfortably upholstered" to get through the smaller sureflap :-[ but he manages fine with the pet door.  (And he's not plumpitty, it's just sorta distributed differently!  :shify:)

Actually, I think it does depend on how your pet's weight is distributed, and how they feel about getting through gaps.  One of our neighbours who saw our flap and was having similar trouble with her cats being bulled got the smaller flap, and both of her kitties fit through it.  And considering one of them is very fluffy and on the large side, we did have our doubts.  :naughty:

They do say that the flap works now with biotherm chips too, and I have to say the people who make Sureflap are brilliant - register your flap on their website when it comes - each flap has a product code, and you key it in to activate your warranty - doesn't matter whether you bought it direct from Sureflap or not.  They put customer satisfaction at the top of their priorities, and I think it's a rare company where you can buy with such confidence.   :)

You'll feel so much happier knowing that just your cats can get in, and they'll feel a lot happier too.  It's great seeing their faces when they realise bully cat is stuck outside and can't get in.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 21:22:51 PM »
My 7.5 Misa couldnt get throught the normal one!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 21:14:45 PM »
I know it's tiny!  Geoffrey would barely be able to get his head through it  :rofl:

Milly is still really overgrooming and although I haven't seen psycho bengal anywhere near the house recently, I'm hoping it will improve her confidence that the house really is safe and that no other cat can get in.  Plus I'm starting a new job soon and I get really anxious when I get home late, so hopefully the curfew mode will mean I feel happier that they're safely shut in even if I don't get home until after dark.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 20:45:54 PM »
Ah good, I didn't realise you'd ordered the new larger one. SueP had 'issues' with the regular sized one recently as it materialised that poor liitle Ross wasn't quite as 'regular' as the cat flap makers definition of the word  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 20:35:34 PM »
are Geoffrey & Milly of a 'regular' size?

Milly is 'regular', Geoffrey is XXL (he fluctuates between 6.5 and 7.5 kg) hence me wanting the new pet door rather than the original cat flap.  I've experimented by cutting holes in a piece of cardboard and posting him through it  :rofl: and I have discovered that he will fit comfortably through the larger pet door (it's pretty similar to existing large catflap) but stands no chance with the normal catflap. 

Looking forwards to its arrival, I guess with the bank holiday it won't be until the latter part of next week now!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 19:54:22 PM »
Sheila is our resident Sureflap consultant, not sure if she does international troubleshhoting consults from Vegas though  :evillaugh: Glad you found out and took the plunge, are Geoffrey & Milly of a 'regular' size?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
Hello fluffybunny, how are you today  :evillaugh:

I managed to track down a product manual online, and it says that the curfew mode locks it on "in only", so if a kitty does get to the great outdoors during curfew hours, they can indeed get back in again.  On that basis, I've bitten the bullet and ordered one.  It looks as if the hole is the same size as that already cut for my existing fatboy catflap, but I will feel much less anxious once I know that only my kitties can get into the house and that they can be locked in automatically even if I'm not at home at that time. 

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Sureflap - making progress!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 16:53:30 PM »
Hello! Quick q for anyone who has a sureflap with a curfew mode.  I'm thinking of buying the new pet door but want to check a few things first...

Does the curfew mode lock it in both directions or out only? Something likely to happen in our house is that the flap will be locked on the curfew, but then my lovely oh will come home late/act on autopilot and let one of the cats out the front door. If this happens, would kitty still be able to get in through the flap as normal, or is it completely locked when the curfew kicks in?  I assume that if a kitty is still out when the curfew starts, it would be ok, but I don't know if it's clever enough to know when both cats are in and to lock it completely.  Anyone know?

Also, does anyone use one with a biotherm chip? I remember when microchip flaps first came out a few years ago, they said that the range was hugely reduced with a biotherm chip and might not work properly, but the sureflap chip checker now says that my chips are compatible, but I wanted to double check that it really should work fine with them. Petporte still says they're incompatible so I guess they're using different technology.

Grateful for any help anyone can give!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:21:57 PM by fluffybunny »

Link to CatChat