Author Topic: Worries over amputation operaion  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
Re: Worries over amputation operaion
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 21:56:27 PM »
 :welcome:
What a lovely film!!
George is gorgeous  :Luv2:  and what a brave (and clearly the right) decision.   I loved the clip where he was racing across the floor!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:06 AM »

Hello Lizzie - Hello George  :Luv2: and hello Emily  :Luv:  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: A huge welcome to all three of you to Purrs.  Lizzie thanks so much for sharing that wonderful video with us, and George's story.  I know that'll be a huge reassurance to any of our members facing this kind of choice in the future.  It's fine for us to talk about and try to reassure people but brilliant if they can witness it with their own eyes.   ;D :hug: :hug:

My stepdaughter's cat also had to have an amputation after he was hit by a binwagon.  He not only survived and lived a happy life, but he also went on to travel back to the UK from Spain where they'd been living, and spent another happy three years before eventually they lost him through old age. 

I would like to say a special thank you to George himself, who is such a very handsome cat (I do have a very soft spot for the Gingers  :Luv:) and also to his boon companion Lizzie, who presented herself beautifully to the camera, and is clearly very supportive.  ;D

Welcome to Purrs!  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 00:15:59 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

George is very handsome and 13 is still a kitten as you can see  ;D ;D

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 22:30:55 PM »
Hi Lizzie  :welcome: to Purrs  :)

What a lovely video of gorgeous George  :Luv2: it's great to see him coping so well, thanks for sharing  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 21:10:32 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Lizzie

What a lovely positive first post  :)

Before I got to the bottom of your post I was set to reply saying how I'm sure he would adapt etc etc and now I needn't bother because that's exactly what happened!  ;D Great video, especially the leaping, dashing and decking negotiation!  :naughty: George is particularly handsome  :Luv2:

Offline Lizzie Dripping

• Kitten
  • Slave to: George and Emily
Worries over amputation operaion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 21:05:34 PM »
Our 13 year old ginger tom, George, had a tumour on his leg and the only practical solution was to amputate. The vet said he would be fine, but we were worried if it was the right thing to do for him – he's quite old and, as the tumour wasn't aggressive, maybe we should just let him be. But the tumour was clearly upsetting him so we went ahead with the operation.
Turns out we needn't have worried. He was up and about as soon as he came out of the anesthetic. We are astonished at how well he copes and that he doesn't seem even slightly bothered by loosing a leg.
I made this video for anyone else worrying over the same decision...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIILRAyqxew

Link to CatChat