Author Topic: Hello from a newbie  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:44:49 AM »
Hi Anjie  :welcome: to Purrs  :) Afraid I don't have any advice to give but hope you can find something to help.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:02 AM »

Hello Anjie - welcome to the Forum to you, Smokey, Blue and Belle.   :welcome:

Sorry I dont have anything to suggest in the way of natural hyperthyroid meds, but hope you can get some otherwise good advice from other members.

Our hyperthyroid cat Paddy (who's a Bridge babe now, bless his paws) wouldn't accept meds of any description, and got extremely stressed about the whole affair.  On Veterinary advice, and because of a raft of other difficulties, we didnt push it (as he was 20 when he died, he didn't do at all badly!), but as Liz has already said, there are some conventional meds which can work very well in treating the condition.

The main judgment call I feel is quality of life.  I hope you can get some answers that will work for you and Smokey.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 23:37:02 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs   ;D

Glad you've found us, although sorry it's at such a worrying time  :hug: I'm not aware of any 'natural' hyperthyroid remedies, although there is a prescription food that has been recently released which is less intrusive than medication. Have you had her on any conventional medications as yet?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 21:53:32 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 20:28:03 PM »
 :welcome: from all of us at the Clan cats and their pets our Border Collies Sky, Sunny and Mistral

I currently have 2 Hyperthyroids Max is nearly 13 and his removed 2 years ago but a bit still left in an inoperable place so he is on 20 mg of Vitalda daily in M & S Pate of whatever sort is on offer :shocked:  Next is Miss Clio she will be 14 in September and was diagnosed in December 2012 her failing is she is a former feral who doesn't do stress or strange places well and she is currently on 20mg of Vitalda daily wrapped in wafer thin chicken again from M & S nothing else will do :shocked:

I also have a forever foster diabetic Miss Millie she will be 16 this year

Max is very stable we are still trying to get Clio stabilised as she is a tad thin for our liking so she gets extra meals and added supplements as I have to Whizz food 6 times our day for our Calichi boy so she is on the same supplements as they have put weight on him so with our vets blessing we are doing the same for Clio

I also have a motley band of ferals led by Clio she is our alpha girl and my Domestics and my 4 pedigrees 2 Ragdolls Minmin and Casper, my Physco Benga Miss Prsche but know as Bibi and my NFC Star
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 20:09:57 PM »
and  :welcome: to Purrs Anj. Lots of friendly gossip and advice if needed. Sorry can't help with remedies but i'm sure someone will come along later with some advice  :).
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 20:08:31 PM »
Hiya Anj and  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to Purrs.  ;D

There are Hyperthyroid threads here in our health and behaviour section, have a read then check out similar advice on FABcats too. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,9516.0.html

It's good to have you on board. Have a browse around and feel free (pretty please?) to share photos of your lovely girls with us?  ;)

You may wish to post on the "health and behaviour" thread, not everyone reads the newbies entries, but you will get meaningful help over there.  :hug:

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smokey, Blue & Belle
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 19:38:46 PM »
Hello all, I found your forum today while looking up some info on hyperthroidism and you seem like a very friendly bunch so thought I'd register.

I have 3 old ladies, Smokey an 18 year old British Blue (who I took in for a few months 16 years ago!) her Daughter Blue who is nearly 17, and Belle who is a very, very chubby Tortie and white, who was a rescue cat from the RSPCA. It's Smokey who has been diagnosed with the problem, and who is going to bankrupt me! lol She's already cost me about £250 in bills this past 6 weeks, it's a good job I love her  :Luv: though if I have to resort to beans on toast for tea every night, that might change  :rofl:

Has anyone found any natural remedies for this illness? I have only found things that are available in the US and not here.

Anj

Link to CatChat