Author Topic: Advice about Cat-Sitting Needed - Urgent  (Read 1170 times)

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nora and Albus
Re: Advice about Cat-Sitting Needed - Urgent
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 13:50:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I will pick up some feliway tonight. As for Nora getting her attention - I don't think she'd let us get away with not worshiping the ground she walks on 24/7. She is maybe a little bit spoiled  ;)

I kind of panicked as soon as I said yes to looking after them in case it would upset Nora but I'm glad to know that I'm over worrying  :innocent:

I'm feeling a bit more excited now, rather than worried. I'll maybe post some piccys of the new arrivals when they get here

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Advice about Cat-Sitting Needed - Urgent
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 23:25:02 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Your friend is lucky to have a friend like you  :) As long as they are not introduced I can't see any risks to Nora's health at all, presumably they are vaccinated, fit and well so no risks of cross contamination. I would second Dawn's idea of a Feliway diffuser, you can get them from the vets or places like Pets at Home but they are virtually half the price when ordered online http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/feliway-diffuser.html It's a plug in that releases calming cat pheromones and I swear by (the plug in rather than the spray).

The powder Dawn was thinking of is Zyklene, to be honest if it's only for three weeks I reckon Nora will be just fine as long as she gets her usual amount of attention and a few dreamies for good measure  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice about Cat-Sitting Needed
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 13:38:01 PM »
she will know they are there but as long as she doesn't come face to face with them too soon she should be fine, there are things you can do to manage stress such as feliway (plug in or spray) and there is a powder you can put in food but can't think what is called at the moment - there are plenty of people here of foster or have biggish broods who will be along to help I'm sure

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nora and Albus
Advice about Cat-Sitting Needed - Urgent
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 13:33:30 PM »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any advice about cat sitting as we will have 2 lodgers staying with us from tomorrow evening.

A friend of a friend has recently been made homeless and has nowhere for her cats to go. None of the rescues have any space and she can't afford to board them. Her family told her to abandon them because they'd "look after themselves"  >:(

We have agreed to take them in for 3 weeks until she can move into her new flat (she burst in to tears when we agreed bless her), however we have a cat already (not to mention many other furry family members) But Nora is a recent addition to our family (I got her in September) and I am relatively new to the world of cats so I am not sure how she will react. Also I am worried as i haven't met the cats and want to keep them separate to Nora for quarantine purposes in case they're carrying something. With this in mind we have cleared out the back bedroom and we'll have to keep them confined in there for the duration of their stay.

Basically, I want to know if Nora will get stressed knowing that there are two cats staying in our back bedroom and is there any risk to her health? (She is vaccinated and flea/worm treated). I am very happy to save these cats from homelessness and possibly being PST but I don't want it to affect Nora at all.

Any advice would be great  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 13:36:03 PM by EmandNora »

Link to CatChat