Author Topic: Split paw pad, please help with advise  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Split paw pad, please help with advise
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
That sounds very good and hope he is a lot more comfortable now  ;D ;D

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:26:55 AM »
He's an old boy, the vet did a home visit as a favor to my mum (they know each other).  She places jack at 17yrs old.

His paw pad is better, she gave us an antibacterial powder to put on it.  She reckons it's old age, i worm him every 3 months with advocate,  She suggested to changed his kibble, so he's been put on simply, as it's a soft biscuit.  He won't eat wet food.

His eye sight, hearing and teeth are all in good  condition for his age.  He wolfed down the softer kibble, so he may put on a bit of weight.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 23:31:04 PM »
might be worth having a blood test done if he is skinny, could have thyroid problem or something? hope all goes well and they sort his paw out for him  :)

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 20:30:48 PM »
I'm going to take him tomorrow, just worried that fixing him today and the vets,might be too stressful. So I'll pop him into the vets tomorrow, he is a lovely boy but he is frail. He has a think double coat,so he doesn't look skinny but when brushing him, you can see it.

It's just heartbreaking to see him this way.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 18:51:04 PM »
I agree with Gill, this is definitely one for the vets. I've had two cats with split paw pads, one had to have it stitched with a bandage and cone and the other was more minor and just needed glueing. Due to the nature of the wound they're very easily infected so will need sorting ASAP really.

If your Dad is likely to make an irrational decision perhaps you could offer to take Jack instead? It will undoubtedly be stressful for him but if you can deal with it early there's no reason why it won't heal nicely with no need for further vet visists.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 18:26:07 PM »
I think he needs to see a vet and needs an abs injection, convenia should clear it if you act quick

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
Split paw pad, please help with advise
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 18:15:03 PM »

My parents have a norweign forest x kitty, who is about 17yrs old.  He has anxiety issues, so it's hard getting him to the vets these days.

I tend to give him any medical attention he needs and so far, good old love, warm salt water and constant cleaning, has done the job for years.  I've also cleaned out any of our cats wounds or abscesses with no issues (by god, some of those infections really stunk) but if it was more than I could handle, we'd go to the vets.

So today, I noticed a little bit of blood on Jack's paw (their cat).  He had an abscess on the top of his front paw about 3 months agp, he got a thorn.thistle stuck in it but it cleared up with a little care.  I thought it had come back, so looked at his paw, only to find that his version of the little finger nail had curved right round and ingrown into his pad  :(

Mum and dad said that they tried picking him up yesterday and today but he wouldn't let them near him, so they figured he was just a little under the weather.  He allowed me to pick him up and take a look.  I got some metal pliers, dipped in boiling water and clipped the bad claw, right down to the vein.  The wounded leaked, yup it stunk too but after a good 20 min clean up, it was nice and pink but it's split half the pad open.  I put him in the down stairs toilet with towels, food, water and turned the light off.  Hoping it would calm him down and sleep.  I've told my parents not to let him outside for a few days.

He's an old boy and he looks it, I doubt he has much life left in him.  My dad really isn't the pet type and he would more than likely tell the vet to put jack to sleep.  But taking him to the vets would really freak him out, don't want to put him through that.

Has anyone dealt with a split paw pad and were you able to sort it out without the vets help? 

Or as it's his little finger paw pad, he needs medical attention?

Link to CatChat