Author Topic: unexplained aversion to food  (Read 46455 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: unexplained aversion to food
« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2013, 20:35:01 PM »
I love this post, the 1st one I go to. Hope all goes well at the vets 2moro :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2013, 15:39:03 PM »
he sounds like such a huge character, all the best for tomorrow!

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: jonah
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2013, 15:28:10 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know what happens. Our freezer is full of meat for him now! He ate a further 60g of meat before I went to work this morning so he's eating 160b (plus a few bits and bobs) of pure low fat lean meat now and seems to be thriving. We've been told "no veggies, he needs high quality protein" and that's fair enough though I do wonder a bit about trace elements like copper. Plus he likes veggies! You should have seen him with the spinach...

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2013, 14:55:24 PM »
Good luck tomorrow
Go Jonah!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2013, 13:38:44 PM »
Loads of good wishes at the vets  :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
Also wishing for good news at the vet tomorrow.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »
Thanks for the update Jeremy. Hoping all goes well tomorrow at the vets  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »

:Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  Am keeping everything crossed for tomorrow's vet visit.  The vet will see a noticeable difference I think from what you've described.   :)   It must be a lot less uncomfortable for him if he can breathe more easily, which will make swallowing better, hence his ability to increase his food intake. 

What a gorgeous chap you are Jonah.  :hug: :hug:  You keep up the good work for your Dad.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2013, 00:53:25 AM »
Hi everyone and sorry about the lack of posts. Jonah is due to see the vet on Thursday morning for a checkup. He was off his food a little yesterday but seems to have made up for it today; he was waiting on the doorstep for me to get back from work - inside looking out of course- and promptly ate up 100g of raw chuck steak. Followed by a little duck and pasta - yes, that was my supper but...
He seems quite glossy and firm though his spine is easy to feel. His nose seems better, too. He's now asleep curled up next to the bath I am sitting in - I guess he can feel the warmth through the side.
He still has the tube in but he doesn't seem that bothered by it and his ears are cool to the touch. He spends a good few hours each night stretched out next to me under the duvet anyway...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:34 AM »
If the tube or site round it smells please contact vet immediately, it would be terrible for him to get an infection now or even worse gangrene.

Send lots of cuddles to Jonah  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

Love is very forgiving of rotund tummies.   :Luv:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2013, 00:10:05 AM »
Absolutely. Still, I suspect my baby of trying it on to a degree. It's true that he won't touch his normal food but at the same time he loved being hand fed before ànd now he has an excuse to just go for the treats. His tummy is quite round! Not that I'm complaining; the poor beastie nearly died of starvation after all but I'm sure he's making the mosst of the situation all the same.
Not that I care of course; just happy he eats anything!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Baby steps and baby steps and you look back and see how very far you've already come on this particular journey. . . . .  :)  :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Oh absolutely I will. By the way, I had to get up early today and jonah got out of bed with me, came upstairs and into the kitchen, said meow a few times and followed me around the room. Just to try, I fetched a pouch out and he actually chirruped! This is good to see. Sadly he just looked baffled when i put the bowl down, but still, it's a good sign.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:45 AM »
This is such a lovely thing to read Jeremy.  :Luv:  would it be worth a call to the vet to ask about the odour? It may put your mind at ease without Jonah having to travel if it isn't' necessary.

Hoping both you and Jonah have a splendid weekend.   :)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2013, 00:13:17 AM »
Here we are again, bath for me and stomping around on the towel for Jonah. He's much better and stronger, even rubbing his box. He has a saucer of guineafowl skin and is sticking his paw in, stuffing the bits in his mouth and flicking the remainder wherever it lands. To put it another way, back to being my wonderful cat again - albeit a bit of a grub. He still mostly eats from my hand plus liquid food so he's not out of the woods yet. But much  more his normal character.
The thing that concerns me is that he smells. He normally smells of beeswax which is a good smell. The current smell is more putrid which makes me worry about that wretched tube which has been in his neck for weeks. We clean and change the dressing every few days but still. Animals inc. humans simply aren't meant to have holes from outside to inside that last that long. Still, he'd be dead without it so I'm not complaining but methinks it's time to come out...

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2013, 15:42:12 PM »
I hope so. It needs to move from his tummy to his muscles though. Mind you, you'd not think him weak if you're holding him and he decides the view is better from your shoulders! He's exceeded himself today by putting away the skin of two chicken thighs as well. He seems quite interested in whatever I am holding when I go into the bathroom to check on him now which is a good sign...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2013, 13:44:12 PM »
Oh Sue  :rofl: :rofl:

I fall asleep on the sofa still holding the lappy  :innocent: but atleast I have a good excuse  :rofl:

Jonahs tummy must be getting larger I reckon, takes a while but he is doing so well  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

Oh yes indeedy....   :naughty:   And everyone was very nice about it and left me to it, and when I roused a full hour later and began dancing and carousing once more I was swept up into the arms of the throng, and was no more than "merry"  :evillaugh:

(But I dont have to be drunk to fall asleep at inappropriate moments, as my work colleagues will testify.....)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »
 :rofl: During a Burn's night supper? Must have overdone it on the firewater!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »

Aw, bless his heart!   (I fall asleep like that sometimes too - even at a Burns Night supper, once  :evillaugh:)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
I was impressed for sure! He's passed out in the bathroom, on a towel. He was obviously sitting down when his head became too heavy for him because his main body is still sitting - not lying - but the front bit and head have just slumped to the towel. He's making gentle snoring sounds but doesn't sound too laboured. Though I can hear him sneezing now - my home office is just across from the bathroom so I hear if me makes any loud noises.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »

Way to go, Jonah!   :wow:  That's a pretty impressive little steak number.   :hug: :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed,hoping for continued improvement.Well done Jonah.x

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
He's getting stronger for sure but his nose remains a problem; always covered in mucus and making breathing hard for him. The anti biotics have run out so he's just on steroids and the (no appreciable effect) anti mucus powder.
Having said that, he crawled under the duvet and stretched out next to me this morning purring, washed his face when we got up and put away 120g of steak slices which is the most I have seen him eat for a while. Much snuffling but no jaw waggling which is a good sign.
Yesterday he was not in the mood for steak and had chicken skin (cooked) instead. This isn't enough for him so I had to feed lots of the liquid food too. I'll hold off doing that for now as he must be quite full of steak!

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2013, 08:30:51 AM »
It sounds like Jonah is still heading in the right direction Jeremy.  :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
Well he was in quite good form last night; he managed two suppers of steak - 2 * 60g - plus 40ml of liquid food. And a mozzarella string from my risotto. He sat on my lap, sat next to me on a cushion and tried to help himself to my wine and all in all behaved like he should do.

This morning (I'm working from home today so I can take my turn looking after him) he got up and used his litter, came upstairs with the promise of more steak but... a refusal. Sneezing and jaw wiggling. So I gave him his meds and 20ml of liquid. He was no trouble; just sat on the floor and purred while I fussed with his tube. I expect he'll sleep for a bit now and then I am hopeful steak might be taken for lunch.

So progress, of a sort. He does feel more solid than before though. I shall have to weigh him. He was down to 3.92kg when he came out of hospital. Seeing as his proper weight is twice that anything he puts on can only be good news.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
Great news  ;D Well done Jonah.  :) :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »

Morning Jonah.  Hope you had a good night, and enjoyed your first decent meal in ages.  Sending you lots of love, and hoping you can manage a bit of brekfuss too.   :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2013, 17:29:26 PM »
Wonderful news  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2013, 17:17:12 PM »
 :wow:  That's great news, Jeremy!   Clever lad, Jonah.   :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2013, 16:36:53 PM »
that is good news, well done Jonah

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2013, 16:24:40 PM »
Grand news; Jonah was left a bowl of chicken bits and broth in the bathroom next to his box and... was discovered standing up eating it 1/2 an hour later. That's the first time he's shown an interest in eating on his own without getting hand fed. I guess his pharma cocktail must be taking hold...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »

Sending much love to the gentle Jonah this morning   :hug: :hug: :Luv2:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
Jeremy, just catching up on all your posts from the weekend. I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan so did chuckle over the Hunter S. Thompson comment  :evillaugh:

Love the piccy of you and Jonah  :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2013, 20:23:25 PM »
Long tailed prunes!  :rofl: Jonah got to eat some guinea fowl skin at last. He's quite tired now and has gone back to his bathroom nest. He seems a lot better - more like his old self but ...

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2013, 18:18:11 PM »
one of Purrs more endearing features

you should read the conversations we've had about blue prunes, great prunes and long-tailed prunes

and yes, Jonah is a most special cat, and you are obviously his special human
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2013, 18:05:27 PM »
Though try as I might I cannot get 'b u g g e r' to appear instead of 'butter'  :Crazy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2013, 17:44:39 PM »
Suspect government has replaced a banned word lol

It wasnt!

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2013, 17:36:06 PM »
Definitely absolutely and positively not, old bean. Not one iota of yank blood runs in my veins. Nothing against them mind but my local church (no, I don't 'do God' before anyone asks) is older than their entire country. I was just following an interweb meme with the 'oh nos' thing... Here's a picture of himself on my shoulders in the bathroom (aka Snidge's throne room):

Link to CatChat