Author Topic: Rant and request for tips  (Read 14553 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Rant and request for tips
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
 :hug: :hug:  It used to worry me in Paddy's last year or so that people would think he was a cruelly neglected stray - he too was very thin, and it was one reason I preferred him to wear a collar, but we had to take his off ultimately, because of his inability to retract his claws - he used to get them stuck in his collar, and the worry of him injuring himself bothered me more.  I love the golden oldies, bless 'em. 

So, you're going to become a trapper  :wow:  (shades of Grizzly Adams  :evillaugh:)  That's a great compliment to your skills.   :)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 18:49:22 PM »
Bones/Titch was a lovely boy.  you can definitely tell the difference between a long time stray and a much loved pet.  right from the start i felt that i had the wrong cat with Titch.  he was way too laid back and i felt sure that he was an older pet, i'm so glad i kept checking.  Ginger is not so laid back with the other animals but he's not really that bothered.  only problem i've discovered is that he must have been a night prowler.  he stays in the bed in the bottom of the wardrobe all day but at night he sits on the windowsill and yowls.  last night he actually got on the bed and had a little kip on the pillow.  he's very affectionate and purrs all the time.  the lady from CP who i emailed on the first day has been updated and today i got an email from her asking if it was ok to pass my number on to their rescue co-ordinator in case they need help with trapping in my area so of course i said yes
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

Have just read throught his thread.  What a gorgeous boy Big Ginger is.   :wow: :wow: :wow:  He's like a giant teddy bear.   :Luv2:  Am so very pleased you were able to help him get a new forever home - must've been horrible for him going from being a much loved pet to being out on the streets.  You star  :hug:

Sounds to me like he's at long last landed well and truly on his paws, and hope he has many happy healthy years in front of him.   :)

Gotta say, "Bones" was very lovely too.  Made me think of our Paddy  - he was all bones too at the end - like a little thistledown when you picked him up.  :Luv:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 14:41:10 PM »
He's lovely  :Luv:

I'm so pleased a new home is already lined up for him. You really do deserve a medal for all you've done.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 14:30:07 PM »
yep.  he has ear mites so i'll leave that for his new owner to sort out but apart for a couple of scabs from fighting he's in really good health.  i'm supposed to be picking up the female that's due to be dumped in the woods but not sure when yet.  the nurse i spoke to said that the one who's taking the ginger boy might be up for another but if not then i'll see if the old lady wants her after shes been done
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 13:20:32 PM »
also being owned by a vet nurse means he will prob get any treatment needed in the future at a cheaper rate ;)  SOunds like the old lady opposite you would love to have a cat, see if you can find another one for her? ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »
he really is a cuddle cat.  you only have to catch his eye and he's purring and dribbling and wrapping himself round your legs.  he's a bit growly with the other cats but not showing any real aggression.  he's been using the tray like a good boy and not showing any signs of going stir crazy which i'm surprised about as he's lived rough for almost a year.  i know my eldest son (23) wants to keep him but then again he wants to keep all the cats everywhere  :rofl:.  he will be hard to give up but he's going to have a fantastic home after this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 13:52:08 PM »
what a great outcome!  he looks like a proper cuddle cat as well

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 13:47:57 PM »
Thats just so great  ;D ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
he seems very happy to be in from the cold.  has hardly stopped purring since he came back from the vets

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
This is the best outcome EVER. Well done! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 18:56:43 PM »
Well done. If you hadn't taken an interest in this cat he might be out in the snow. Instead, he's warm and has a good home lined up.

If only more people cared.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 17:50:44 PM »
That is just wonderful what a lucky boy  ;D ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 17:10:26 PM »
That has brought a tear to my eye. Such lovely news.  :wow:

mine too.  i couldnt have asked for an easier rescue or a better outcome.  i'm chuffed to bits for him

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 17:01:59 PM »
That has brought a tear to my eye. Such lovely news.  :wow:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 16:38:51 PM »
one incredibly lucky cat

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 16:30:25 PM »
this is one lucky cat.  rang this afternoon to check on him, everything fine, pick him up at half 2.  on the way to picking him up i get a call from the vet so i go into mini panic mode.  turns out one of the nurses has had a case of love at first sight.  she's in the process of moving and will be ready to take him on the 26th.  i'm so pleased, what a lucky boy.  he's staying here until then and is snuggled up in bed in the bottom of my wardrobe.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 13:20:56 PM »
an older person nearby would be ideal, as you could presumably keep an eye on them
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
He sounds lovely and hope the lady will take him  ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
he's at the vet now.  he's not feral, he's actually a really nice friendly cat and was in a loving home until last spring.  i have considered putting him back where he came from as the people in the flats where he lived are obviously caring enough that he hasnt gone without food since he became homeless.  he'd decided to come out from under the bed some time during the night and had found himself a comfy spot on some clothes.  he was purring in the kitchen while i was getting the box ready.  he was a bit wide eyed but quite calm considering there were a lot of strange cats looking at him lol.  he has a little scab on his neck and his ears are a a bit dirty but other than that he seems like he's in his prime.  he's very impressive with his massive head lol. 

there's an old lady opposite me who's big ginger died about 10 years ago and then her husband died around 5 years ago and she's very lonely.  she'd mentioned a little while ago that she'd like a cat again but thought she was too old for a kitten because it would probably outlive her.  she is having a think about taking this one on.  she hasnt seen him yet but i think when she does it will be a done deal.  he'd be spoilt rotten if she decided to take him

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 21:24:16 PM »
If you don't find a home for him immediately, consider releasing him back to his area. It sounds as though he's become a successful feral/stray.

The ideal situation for most cats is to have a loving home where he's well fed, given medical care when needed, and truly respected. Some cats, however, can find it hard to adapt to domesticity. You know this particular cat and whether he'll be happier as a housecat or a feral. Sometimes it can be difficult to find homes for ex ferals, though it's possible.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 19:28:49 PM »
no chance of a pic yet lol.  he's under my sons bed and has been all day.  probably wondering what the hell is going on.  dont actually think he's grateful to be spending his first night indoors in nearly a year.  lol, he'll be even less grateful tomorrow

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 17:56:56 PM »
Wow, great news. Well done.  ;D

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 15:40:39 PM »
 :wow:

That's fantastic! Well done you!!

Any chance of a pic?

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 14:00:09 PM »
got the ginge and he's booked in for the chop tomorrow.  have a foster home lined up and possibly a forever home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 16:22:07 PM »
Thats great news  ;D

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
Absolutely  :Luv:

Our Munchkin is a case in point (though he still has a hefty left hook  :naughty:)

I will keep my fingers crossed for the big ginger boy. I keep thinking of our dear lad when he was in a similar situation. Well done you for being so caring.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 21:47:41 PM »
big butch ginger toms can often turn into total love machines when their love machine bits have gone ;) 
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 19:38:52 PM »
ive been and spoken to my vets and they will do the neutering for free if i get him.  he will be an easy catch because he's so friendly

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 19:07:53 PM »
Well done you for not only caring but for going the extra mile to do something about it.   :hug:

The ginger might not appreciate losing his balls at the time but I'm sure he will feel better for it eventually.  If it stops him from spraying (by no means guaranteed) it may even get him a home.  I would be inclined to get him neutered if you can and release him back to where he is now since people feed him.
I would ask CP for help with this.  They must be used to doing TNR.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 19:10:29 PM by CarolM (Wendolene) »

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 17:09:51 PM »
doesn't it?  to think that i didnt sleep friday night for worrying about 4 possibly freezing, starving strays.  this is almost the best possible scenario.  not sure what to do about the ginger, will he appreciate being taken from an area he knows and obviously likes, to somewhere where he'll be kept in for a while, lose his balls and his freedom?  he'll be easy to get because he's very friendly

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 16:53:55 PM »
This all sound so much better  ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 16:52:31 PM »
ok so Titch has gone home.  after speaking to the lady that collected him (his owners neighbour) it appears there has been some confusion lol.  there is no b&w stray, that cat went with it's owner when she moved.  seems the person who told me just saw Titch and assumed that it was starving and therefore must have been left behind.  according to this lady the cats that belonged to the old lady that died were adopted by various neighbours and are all fine.  the only one that nobody wanted was the huge ginger that i saw on the first day.  everybody feeds him but nobody lets him in because he sprays.  i'm very relieved to say the least.  i'm happy to take him and get him done but he'd have to be rehomed cos i'm pretty sure my cats would feel threatened by such a huge cat.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 13:52:35 PM »
good news and bad news:

good news is Titch IS in fact somebodies 17 year old hyperthyroid cat.  turns out he belongs to one of the neighbours who wasnt in when enquiries were being made.  they've just been to my mates to ask if anybody has seen him.  coming to pick him up soon so good news for Titch.  i kinda had a feeling that i'd pinched somebodies pet lol.

bad news is that the b&w abandoned kitty is still out there.  i knew it was all too easy to be true.  looks like i'll be out looking again after Titch has been collected
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 16:45:48 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 13:46:30 PM »
He is gorgeous and hope you dont find any more  :hug: :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 13:30:24 PM »
He does look Hyperthyroid, I have 2 here and he is like my black and white Max the blood test should confirm it and then he can get his tablets hopefully, is he drinking a lot because he could be diabetic thats the two main ones that make them thin and constantly hungry he may also have teeth problems

He is cute though ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
and he's a neutered male

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
"Bones"

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
i'm thinking thyroid too.  spoken to a few people and it's definitely the right cat so no worries about an irate owner turning up.  heard back from CP this morning, they are full, no surprises there.  ive replied that i am happy to keep the cat here until a space becomes available but only if they can cover the cost of a vet check up.  waiting to hear back.

i am picking up another tomorrow.  the owner is pregnant and planning on dumping the cat in the woods.  she's done it before and i already have 1 here (my little Mouse) who came from her after she took him from his mother at 3 weeks.  i got a call in the middle of the night from her neighbour who had confiscated it from her because she was convinced he was dying (was constantly leaking poo).  he was 4 weeks old by then.  i picked over 60 fleas off of him that night and spent 48 hours hand feeding him plain chicken.  that was 5 years ago and now he's my baby.  after i get this next one out of her house i'm going to scare her.  i know i shouldnt but people like her make me rage.  i'm going to tell her in no uncertain terms that if i find out she's got another after she has her baby i WILL go round there and kick her a*se.  will get a pic on of "Bones" in a  minute

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 23:37:19 PM »
It could be Thyroid problem ?
As you mentioned the neighbours might be able to give you some more information.
Do you have a picture of him/her?

Link to CatChat