Author Topic: Are succulents toxic for cats?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Are succulents toxic for cats?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
I too find it difficult to work out which plants are best avoided.  Some lists of plants that are toxic to cats list just about everything I've ever heard of but dont state how poisonous they are.  For example, some will cause vomiting and/or diarrhoea if eaten whilst others, such as lillies, will cause more serious problems.  I would never have lillies in the house but I would risk it with something that might just cause an upset tummy if eaten, and just keep an eye on the situation.

re the plant you mention - this article seems to imply it is toxic if it's the same plant?

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7327050_jade-plants-poisonous-cats_.html

If it's the jade one - it implies it can cause problems with heart rate so I would avoid that.  The silver and chinese jade plants mentioned don't seem to have that effect and are more vomiting/stomach upset type symptoms.  If you think you have the jade plant mentioned as having the worst, potential effects I would banish it but if it's one of the others I would risk it and just keep an eye out to see if it's a problem.  If you're not sure which one you have I wouldn't take chances with it.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Are succulents toxic for cats?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
I've found it quite different to find out which plants are poisonous to cats. Most sites seem to over state how dangerous they are. Some say plants are poisonous if they taste horrible but they won't actually do your cat any harm.

Some sites say garlic is poisonous for cat but some cat foods have garlic in them. So not always easy to find fact from fiction. I always grow cat grass for my two now which means they aren't bothered with trying to eat my plants.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Are succulents toxic for cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
I won't have any plants in the house that toxic to cats I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that succulents were OK but yesterday I read on the internet that some were poisonous consequently I have just turfed a large one out into the shed.

Does anyone know for certain?

I have one that is nicknamed by the growers as  Crassula Gollum plus some offshoots of it plus some other small ones of the Crassula family.  :-:

Link to CatChat