Author Topic: Another apparent **** up by the rspca  (Read 13652 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Another apparent **** up by the rspca
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »
Just discussing with OH whether to chip Tom and was telling him about this thread and whether we should in fact collar all 3 in case someone thinks they are strays. He said "Oh yea, I can just see someone thinking Freddie is a stray". I said "You'd be surprised how bad he might look if caught in the rain and got his white fur all muddy"  OH said "I'd be surprised if he were caught in the rain"  :rofl:

Seriously, Ela I'll consider chipping Tom at next vet visit. As a side issue, I have been corresponding with local council re checking RTAs for chips so that owners can be informed. I live in Birmingham so the number of RTAs for our council will be high and I've given them contact details for Helen's council who have a scheme up and running. We have a pilot scheme at the moment and I will be chasing them soon for an update.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 08:56:18 AM »
I know the CP don't advocate collars, but if people don't check for microchips as a matter of course, then a collar spells it loud and clear .... "I own somebody".  

When people find a cat or think they find a cat, we always ask the finder to take to a vet to see if it is chipped or if they live near one of our fosters to them. Nowadays most rescues, all vets and some Councils have readers.  I know also that more and more vets are now scanning cats as they come into the surgery to ensure the owner is the owner. The down side to me is that apart from the horrific injuries I see due to collars, a collar does not necessarily say 'I own somebody' (  ;D I like that). So many cats that are strays come into care that have collars on and in spite of our best efforts we fail to find an owner. Sometimes we find out that the owner has moved and just left the cat or the owner has died and the family had put the cat out but of course all the other household possessions have been found a good home. I would hate for people who see a cat with a collar on to assume it has a home. If they did many cats would be strays for a long time.

my Mum has got a cat who has a thyroid problem and he is really skinny but he is so happy - Mum said today that she thinks she will put a message on his collar saying "I  am loved and receiving medical attention - please don’t put me to sleep"

A year or so ago someone signed over a very thin cat over to us (we later found out that the 'finder' knew perfectly well who the owner was but that is a different story.) If another certain rescue in our area did take in strays  (which they don't) the little one would most certainly have been PTS within the hour. Anyway we took the cat to the vets immediately and had full bloods, apart from the   thyroid test which takes a few days for the results to come back the results were quite good for a cat of its age. Sadly a few days later the cat died. We found out it was on medication for thyroid but because some  :censored: of a neighbour thought the cat was not being cared for it did not receive its medication, who knows it may have died anyway but it just leaves that niggle in the back of your mind and of course its owner would have been able to be with the little one at the end. Had the cat been chipped rather than a collar with no identification on (it had come off) the cat would have been reunited with its owner and a letter to the 'finder' sent saying it was a much loved pet.

Anyway back to the original topic, I do hope that lessons will be learn from this and that all in the Society are informed about it and  advised that they really do need to  take a pet to the nearest vet immediately, then go back (unless they have another emergency)  to the area it was found and  make a few enquiries.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »
I agree with collars for outdoor cats for this reason, but collars can and do come off.  The rspca should know better than to assume a cat without a collar is a stray.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »
normally strays are to be ignored and "they'll find their own way home"

Wish I had a £1 for every time someone had phoned me and advised me that is exactly what they have been told.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 02:25:24 AM »
.... but if people don't check for microchips as a matter of course, then a collar spells it loud and clear .... "I own somebody".  Which is why mine wear one.  I hate the damn things, but I couldn't bear for anyone to take any of mine away thinking they were strays.

Snap! Same reason mine wear them. I would hate someone assuming they were strays and bundling them off to the nearest rescue!

I hate collars but would recommend them for the same reason.  If I saw a cat on the street with a collar on, I would assume it's more than likely that someone owns them, if they have no collar, people tend to think they are a stray.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 22:37:37 PM »
.... but if people don't check for microchips as a matter of course, then a collar spells it loud and clear .... "I own somebody".  Which is why mine wear one.  I hate the damn things, but I couldn't bear for anyone to take any of mine away thinking they were strays.

Snap! Same reason mine wear them. I would hate someone assuming they were strays and bundling them off to the nearest rescue!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 21:55:24 PM »
I read this story this mornign and cried my eyes out - I cant imagine what those poor people must be going through, my Mum has got a cat who has a thyroid problem and he is really skinny but he is so happy - Mum said today that she thinks she will put a message on his collar saying "I  am loved and receiving medical attention - please dont put me to sleep"

It really has come to something when you have to do this  >:( 

That article has made me furious, and unbearably sad - that poor kitty (what a darling), and its poor 'parents', and its sibling ... it is totally shocking.  Unbelievable incompetence!  It makes me wonder if this inspector took some sort of pleasure in killing animals because how on EARTH could anyone who actually cares do what he did?  And to kill little Morky in his own front garden .... what???

Oh and Ela, I know the CP don't advocate collars, but if people don't check for microchips as a matter of course, then a collar spells it loud and clear .... "I own somebody".  Which is why mine wear one.  I hate the damn things, but I couldn't bear for anyone to take any of mine away thinking they were strays.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 20:13:52 PM »
I think very wise

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 20:13:07 PM »
I read this story this mornign and cried my eyes out - I cant imagine what those poor people must be going through, my Mum has got a cat who has a thyroid problem and he is really skinny but he is so happy - Mum said today that she thinks she will put a message on his collar saying "I  am loved and receiving medical attention - please dont put me to sleep"
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 19:17:02 PM »
Here's a link to the Defra site, about the new law: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/affect.htm

Under "How will the Act be enforced?" it says "However, the RSPCA does not have formal enforcement powers such as power of entry or the power to seize documents."
Even the RSPCA site says "RSPCA inspectors will not have any additional powers under the new Act" yet they still keep promoting the idea that they will.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 19:23:10 PM by DaveD »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 19:04:11 PM »
Its even worse if an ACO can put an animal to sleep.  >:(
I still find it shocking that the inspector even went round to the house to collect it, normally strays are to be ignored and "they'll find their own way home"

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 18:40:28 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( OH MY GOD !!!

But it does not surprise me, goes hand in hand with their £50 vets bill or PTS
Many times we were contacted on the QT to take an old cat in as RSPCA were going to PTS -
We also used to get urgent phonecalls from an CP women about old cats and once she had to smuggle a blind cat to us as CP had said PTS

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2007, 18:15:47 PM »
I dont think they would be able to do that Rosella cos I have seen it posted on Purrs before that once the RSPCA take charge of an animal, unlike us, they reguard it as theres to do what they want with it.

I agree with you in that Kocka was 20yrs old when she died and was not chipped but very thin and fragile. She was partially blind , sometimes completely but used to wander down the garden when she felt she wanted to and it only takes one nasty neighbour to report a sick looking cat and under the new welfare law RSPCA coud come and take the cat and presumably summilarily execute it >:( >:( >:(

This was the first thread I looked at today and I am soooooooo very angry, I do hope the papers start taking lots of note of these type of reports.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 18:02:20 PM »
I am utterly horrified by this article. My oldest girl has no teeth and due to her getting on a little bit her fur isn't as glossy as it used to be (it's still ridiculously soft, though!) and the thought that there are people like this man around that are "allowed" to act this way makes me fuming.

RIP Morky, hope your "parents" get the closure they deserve and need on this awful situation.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 17:30:45 PM »
Anything the RSPCA does doesn't shock me at all - we always hope that we can reach the animal before the RSPCA get their hands on it - I hope Morky's owners successfully prosecute.

Dx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 17:21:42 PM »
Sorry Ela, should have made it clear

Please don't apologise, we all, well me anyway post statements that are not quite what we mean

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 17:12:08 PM »
CP fosterer's  should never let cats out anyway, unless of course in a completely cat safe garden. Also all CP cats should now be chipped (which tthe cats you speak about  are) . CP HQ have offered free chip training to every CP Branch in the country. CP do not advocate the use of collars.

Sorry Ela, should have made it clear - it's her own oldies she doesn't let out. The CP cats are too well ensconced in their armchairs to want to go out!  :evillaugh: All except the 23 year old who doesn't brook any nonsense from anyone.  :doh: But then she has a big handsome ginger boy to run shotgun for her!

Back on topic, I wouldn't have thought that an animal collection officer or inspector would have the authority to euthanise an animal unless it was well beyond help. That authority lies solely with a vet.

As an aside to this, when I had my feral pts, I had to sign some forms allowing the vet to carry out the procedure. My understanding of this is that had I and the vet not completed the paperwork, then it would have been illegal to euthanise the cat. So maybe there may be some recourse for Mork's owners through this?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 17:10:14 PM »
I'm confused (easy I know) in one part it talks of an Inspector and in another an Animal Collection officer, Two very different jobs.

Yes - I hadn't noticed that.  To begin with it refers to an inspector then towards the end it refers to the employee involved as an animal collection officer.  Confusing.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 17:08:40 PM »
I always say that I'm sure there are many good people with the RSPCA, it's the organisation that's the problem, but every time I dee a story like this that argument sounds ever weaker.
I'm no expert, but even I can tell that, if the facts in this news report are correct, there was no pressing need to PTS. Finding a cat badly injured at the side of a road would be one thing, but a cat that happens to be spotted in a garden?!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 17:03:13 PM »
I'm confused (easy I know) in one part it talks of an Inspector and in another an Animal Collection officer, Two very different jobs.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 17:01:40 PM »
By RSPCA standards, should we round up all the OAP's and euthanise them as they are getting on and must need putting out of their misery  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 16:57:04 PM »
The bit that worries me most is that while the rspca admit the inspector didn't follow rspca procedure, they seem to be defending him on grounds that he thought he was acting in the best interests of the cat.  If he believed the cat to be suffering then surely he should have taken the cat to a vet asap.  An rspca inspector isn't qualified to make a medical decision like that.  It's not like the cat had been run over and was lying by the road in obvious pain.  And the poor cat was only in his next door neighbour's garden - not like he had wandered off or been missing for a long time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 16:55:08 PM »
He is very thin now and so is his skin and I don't want to hurt him.

I appreciate that the decision is yours and yours alone, however, what I will say is that we chip 8 week old kittens and cats older than 17 and we don't see any different reaction from them than any of the other cats.

Thomas isn't chipped in any event (he is now 17 1/2 and doesn't wander outside garden EVER);

All I can say on this is every week without exception I receive calls from people whose cat has gone missing and they say  'but it never leaves the garden'. Which reminds me of one call which I think I may have posted before. Someone had a blind cat and was telling me about it, I asked if it was an indoor cat and she said no, it never leaves the garden. A few weeks later she phoned me to say her cat had gone missing, I advised her to look at my site and do everything that was advised on my lost and found page. A while later she found the cat had been involved in a RTA and someone had taken it to a vets. Fortunately it survived. She rang to tell me and I said I bet you will keep it in now and she replied, Oh! no it never leaves the garden. I replied but it has just been found on a road run over, she again said but it never leaves the garden.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 16:55:58 PM by Ela »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 16:43:17 PM »
if he didn't make an effort to knock on a few doors and find the owner he probably wouldn't have scanned for a chip anyway.

This is what makes me seriously concerned. Thomas isn't chipped in any event (he is now 17 1/2 and doesn't wander outside garden EVER); as such I ain't chipping my lovely boy now on the chance that some  :censored: :censored: RSPCA Inspector, who seems to have lost the plot, gets a hold of him!  I know I should have chipped my boy when he was younger but I'm only human and make mistakes. He is very thin now and so is his skin and I don't want to hurt him.

Can I just add that even this will not stop me supporting the local branch of RSPCA with £10 per month as it would only be the animals that would suffer not head office

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 16:37:12 PM »
Rare or not, once is one too many. This man should be sacked and prosecuted.

Yea i agree
if anyone done that to one of mine id track the  :censored: down and kill him ! :( >:( :( >:( :( >:(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 16:27:40 PM »
"In this instance, an RSPCA animal collection officer tried to do the right thing but made a tragic mistake.

"We would point out that the ACO had the best intentions at heart when dealing with Morky. He believed the cat to be stray, extremely old, ill and suffering.

"As a result he took the decision to euthanase the cat as soon as possible to put an end to the suffering he believed it to be experiencing."

:censored:  :censored:   :censored:  Hello, how do they work this out????????

Absolutely disgusting  :mad2:  He should at the very least be suspended without pay whilst they investigate this case and then get the a*** whooping he deserves  :censored:

If he assumed the animal to be a stray and ill, he should have been taken to a vets, he should have had the treatment he needed to make him comfortable and enquiries made to see if he had an owner..........there is absolutely no excuse for what he did  :censored:  An inspector is not a vet and isn't qualified to diagnose if an animal is suffering in this instance.

Poor Morky, RIP little fella, xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 16:26:56 PM »
Rare or not, once is one too many. This man should be sacked and prosecuted.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 16:26:10 PM »
t is very rare for that to happen though surely ????

No comment. By my reply I am sure you know the answer. In any case even once is once too many and inexcusable.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 16:27:43 PM by Ela »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 16:23:56 PM »
 >:( OMG Thats awful  >:( >:( >:(

it is very rare for that to happen though surely ????
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 16:20:49 PM »
HE Should have a lethal injection!!!  >:(

The  :censored: RSPCA have a lot to answer for!!

Isn't it bad enough there are  scumbags hurting and killing animals,  yet a representative of a CHARITY that is supposed to PREVENT cruelty is indescriminately killing animals.

Well done to "The Standard" for telling it like it is. "Pet cat murdered by the RSPCA"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 16:21:55 PM by Mark »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 16:20:25 PM »
Aren't you supposed to hold a stray for 7 days or its considered theft or something?

We keep cats (unless suffering and untreatable) for 14 days before we would try to re-home.

Ela, if he didnt make an effort to knock on a few doors and find the owner he probably wouldnt have scanned for a chip anyway.

Although I have not much admiration for the charity, I do think he would have scanned the cat.

If he really thought the cat was suffering why did he leave it in the van for 2 and half hours.

Good point, anyone with an ounce of compassion would have gone to a vet immediately. if they though a cat was ill.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 16:21:32 PM by Ela »

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 16:20:01 PM »
sitting here in tears, I just dont understand this so called charity, everytime i hear case like this it makes me more and more angry. their ethics are none exsistent, their staff incompentent and the whole organisation is a farce. the sooner there is an investigation into them the better

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 16:15:18 PM »
If he really thought the cat was suffering why did he leave it in the van for 2 and half hours. I also wonder what makes inspectors allowed to PTS animals.
Ela, if he didnt make an effort to knock on a few doors and find the owner he probably wouldnt have scanned for a chip anyway.

Aren't you supposed to hold a stray for 7 days or its considered theft or something?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 15:59:20 PM »
One of my friends fosters oldies for CP, but she doesn't let them out unsupervised purely for that reason,
CP fosterer's  should never let cats out anyway, unless of course in a completely cat safe garden. Also all CP cats should now be chipped (which tthe cats you speak about  are) . CP HQ have offered free chip training to every CP Branch in the country. CP do not advocate the use of collars.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 16:02:05 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 15:55:38 PM »
Was thinking of asking an RSPCA inspector to intervene if my neighbour doesn't get back to me about taking her cat to the vet
When there is a known owner, I think hope there would be a more positive outcome.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 15:53:44 PM »
If the facts in the report are correct, 100% inexcusable.

I agree 100%, I also think that unless an animal is in obvious distress only a vet should decide the final outcome. Although very sad this is a prime example of why all pets need to be micro chipped.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 15:52:52 PM »
That is absolutely unbelievable. Not only did he only give it a couple of hours which isn't long enough to check for an owner, but he euthanased on his belief the cat was incredibly old and suffering - why not get a vet to confirm that? Even if the cat did have an illness (which isn't mentioned), it doesn't mean that it needs to be euthanased.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 15:46:13 PM »
I saw this in my paper this morning, the people involved are thinking of suing the RSPCA and good luck to them I say. Poor Mork, there is a photo of him in the paper and he looked so sweet. The excuse that he was trying to do his best for the cat defies belief, he appears to have made no attempt to get it to a vet or find an owner/check for a microchip or anything. He drove Mork around for 2 hours then put him to sleep in front of his own house apparently. The facts seem to be undisputed in this case since the RSPCA have "disciplined" the inspector, admitted he followed none of the correct procedures and they have apologised to the family. Further words fail me I'm afraid :censored:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 15:40:26 PM »
If this is indeed the case, then that's unconscionable.

One of my friends fosters oldies for CP, but she doesn't let them out unsupervised purely for that reason, as she's worried the neighbours would lodge complaints about the cats' condition and therefore cause problems.

She has two 16 year olds, a 19 year old and a 23 year old and all three are much loved and with every whim pandered to. Yes they are old and yes they are frail, but they are pretty good for their age. But for safety's sake, they're all collared, tagged and chipped.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 13:24:58 PM »
God almighty. This beggars belief. 

Was thinking of asking an RSPCA inspector to intervene if my neighbour doesn't get back to me about taking her cat to the vet (see separate thread re Neighbours cat probs) but how can I trust them if this sort of thing can happen with an Inspector with 10 years experience?  Thank god Thomas doesn't go wandering about outside our garden.....

Link to CatChat