Author Topic: Whats been your most embarassing vet visit?  (Read 3652 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Whats been your most embarassing vet visit?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 13:05:47 PM »
Just found this thread... Mine hasn't been with a cat (YET!) but a hamster in my younger days.

I took him to the vets with an abcess/ tumour on his face. The vet simply pushed the hamsters pouch And a huge blob of food came out, which was all melted together with the hamster choccies i had been feeding him!  :sick:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
great stories! 

I've not really had an embarrassing or funny vet visit but I do recall taking Jaffa when he was a kitten.  I'd only had him a couple of weeks and he was lethergic, not eating or drinking and just sleeping all the time.  As he was only about 10 weeks I obviously rang the vet and got him fitted into the saturday morning emergency clinic.  In typical cat fashion I got him there and he promptly jumped down from the table and went for a wander around the waiting room as I told the vet how he was just lying on the same chair for hours and hardly moving  :shify:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
:rofl:

One of my friends rushed her long-haired bun to the vets having found a large lump under his jaw - very common in bunnies and the sign of a dental abscess.  After a thorough examination and some trimming around the area, he was found to have a malteaser stuck in his fur  :shy:

That is SO funny!  How embarassing?

X

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 22:39:31 PM »
Come on then  :evillaugh:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 22:09:18 PM »
its good to share... :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 22:02:59 PM »
Not dissimilar to yours, Chris, except Chubby was in a wicker basket and managed to pee all over my leg, shoes and the waiting room floor.  :-[
Nice nurse got us cleaned up, mopped the floor then allowed us to jump the queue as we were a bit wet and smelly  :eeeew:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 21:56:26 PM »
We took Bubbles and her now dearly departed mum Gizmo for their booster injections.   Bubbles is on a urinary diet, drinks loads and did her first wee of the day in the plastic carrier - you would not believe how much was swishing around.   Laid back persian Gizmo was laying in it and when we got her out onto the vet table she calmly shook herself and it went all over the vet, us and the the treatment room  :innocent:
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 21:34:28 PM »
I was initially quite indignant at the thought that anyone could think my babies are capable of embarrassing their mum  :innocent: then the memories started to drift back.....

Bringing Dingle to the vet worried sick that the lump I felt was cancer when vet explained it was some undigested chicken  :-[ afraid I took some convincing too  :-[

When we brought Gandolf to the emergency vet one Sunday as he was definitely, no question, limping on his right front paw and he resolutely refused to show pain in his right paw but held his left paw up instead.  He only did it to wind us up  :sneaky:  He started limping again on his right one when he returned home  :Crazy:

Explaining to vet the terrible trauma involved in trying to pill Billy Whiz and VN said "open wide Billy" which he did and she popped worming pill in no bother  :-[

...oh yeh and making (then cancelling  :phew: ) vet appointment for Freddie's bloody front paws  :( :( :( that would be the fluffy red carpet that got stuck when sharpening his claws .... mine own angel baby boy  :Luv2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 20:23:10 PM »
Nothing toi match those magnificent stories but I felt more embarassed when Bonnie had a boil on her bum and Kirsty had to squeeze it. 2 minutes of  redness I think  :-[ :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 16:50:57 PM »

Love the Chicken Korma diarrohea!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
Years ago I took the local farm lothario feral tom to the vets, which involved a 12 mile car trip. Sam the tom wasn’t a very good traveller, and as soon as I got onto the A2, he had diarrhoea, which looked, but unfortunately didn’t smell, like chicken korma :sick:. I had one hand on the wheel and the other holding my nose!  He then proceeded to roll around the basket and by the time we got to the vets, he was dripping!   Luckily we didn’t have to wait long as he ponged out the waiting room and they rushed him through for a bath before examining him! :naughty: :evillaugh:

Another time Moses (the devil cat) went to the vet as he had an abscess on his face.  They took him out the back to clean him up and I waited in the examination room.  All I could hear was YOWL YOWL HISS SPIT OUCH OW GROWL HISS ARRRGH! :naughty: Moses was returned, steam coming out of his ears, wound all nice and clean, but the poor vet and vet nurse had blood dripping down their arms and their hands! :-[
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:50:40 AM by heather sullivan »

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
Actually Gill the vet never wore a plastic pinny but got a nurse to hold her so the nurse got it the second time and when the nurse went out she said it was pay back to the nurse for laughing when the dearly departed Sophie had urinated on her the week before.

Oh I so miss Sophie as she had such character and took no prisoners when it came to vets, on her records it had "Devil Cat" as she could one second be purring at the vets until they went to do anything with her then she became possessed with skinning the vet alive
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 21:56:38 PM »
Lupin not feeling well and Gareth said do you think he will let me take his temperature............well how am supposed to know!

Gareth made an attempt and Lupin turned round very fast and snapped at Gareth, bit him and wagged his tail furiously.

Gareth said that Lupin would terrify the rottweiler in the waiting room  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gareth is very nervous of Lupin now  :scared: :scared:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 21:31:11 PM »
Cazzer aww  :hug:

I took Amber to get a blood test and Patrick vet said aww shes fine as he scooped her up in one arm to take her for a blood test. I was saying no she isnt but didnt win...... some time later he brought back a cat with a bloody neck and said Im sorry she wriggled. Well yeah thats what I was saying lol

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 21:26:37 PM »
I can remember taking my much missed persian Shelley to the vets to be PTS.       As I was cradling her over my shoulder I suddenly felt a very warm liquid dribbling down the inside of my coat sleeve.     She had emptied her bladder  :sick:      I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.        I think I actually did a bit of both leaving the surgery.

loving the bun with the malteaser!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Whats been your most embarassing vet visit?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 20:42:48 PM »
Brilliant stories... Love the wet vet lol!

I took Rio for his first check up recently and he also managed to dislodge most of the vet supplies. Ive never been quite sure whether I'm meant to keep the cat on the table when the vet is typing up notes or let the cat sniff around. Most of mine have just sat so it hasn't been a dilema, however rio went wandering and I thought let him have a sniff then I realised he had spotted the space to get to the back of the vets desk to hide. His party trick. I grabbed for him as he grabbed onto the vets in basket and as I picked him up the contents of the in basket went everywhere .... Oooopppss
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 16:29:31 PM »
Oh brilliant stories Im glad its not just me then  :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 15:16:40 PM »
Oh Ellen that made me howl  :rofl: :rofl:

I trust the vet was wearing a waterproof pinny the second time  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 14:32:38 PM »
Mine was the time when I took dear departed Uncle M for his boosters one year. He did one of those unexpected slow-motion flying leaps from the examination table and landed on shelf full of drugs, bottles, thermometers, equipment, etc. He dislodged the lot, jumped down, jumped up again and landed on the adjacent shelf where he proceeded to dislodge everything from there as well. Vet at the time (who was a very grumpy Scotsman) was not impressed.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
Every time I visit the vets, it is a little embarrassing  :-[ Both of my cats are Oriental Shorthairs and are extremely vocal.  I'm obviously used to it but everybody else isn't.  There is nothing my little darlings hate more than being in the cat carrier and they let me know the entire duration of the visit. They set all of the dogs off barking in the waiting room and the vets have nicknamed Gobi 'gobby'.  All in good fun of course. They can hear us coming every time and always say 'oh its you two again'.
Of course they get ultra spoiled after every vet visit and I always need a sit down and a cuppa to recover.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
This story refers to my old cat Sophie who believed a vet  should be skinned alive if they so much as dared to try and take bloods from her which she needed as she had CRF, but that is a different story.

One day she was a bit grumpy so much so that she went to attack me for no other reason than I had gone to stroke her which was not usual for her as I could do anything with her.  Got her booked in for just before open surgery so went to the vets with her, they decided they wanted a urine sample and as she had a full bladder they would manipulate her to have a wee, they had her with her bottom facing me and they had no success so asked me to turn her so that her bottom was facing the vet as it is easier that way.  Well did this and even before the vet laid a hand on her she sprayed the contents of her bladder all over the vet's front  to the point the vet was drenched but a small amount had fallen on the examination table.  Luckily the vet had a sense of humour and said I think she just told me to p**s off literally and just started laughing saying she must of been straining to keep it in when she had been manipulating the bladder.  Sophie just turned her head and looked at the drenched front of the vet and then started to purr very loudly as if she was so pleased with what she had done to the vet, it was confirmed she had a bit of bacterial infection in her urine and she was put on antibiotics and had to got back a week later preferably when a different vet was on but it turned out the same vet was on when I returned a week later.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 21:03:42 PM »
Mine are all non-visits LOL

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 20:41:51 PM »
 :evillaugh:

I think mine was when Riley cut a pad on his paw, there was quite a lot of blood on the garden path and then he trod it all round the house. In a panic I rang and got an appointment for within the hour. By the time we got to the vets there was no blood and the cut was more like a paper cut. The vet was very nice, he cleaned the cut up and asked me if that was the only reason I had bought him, he looked a bit surprised when I said yes and only charged me £8 instead of £28  :-[

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 20:34:04 PM »

I once took one of my bunnies who suddenly stopped running enthusiastically for his breakfast.  After a full mot, dental check etc, he was pronounced as having a full tummy with well formed poos all the way through, and it was in excellent health.

It was all a puzzle until one morning I went out early and found that he had jumped 4ft onto the shelf and had been helping himself to breakfast  :rofl:

One of my friends rushed her long-haired bun to the vets having found a large lump under his jaw - very common in bunnies and the sign of a dental abscess.  After a thorough examination and some trimming around the area, he was found to have a malteaser stuck in his fur  :shy:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 20:36:41 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Whats been your most embarassing vet visit?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 20:24:59 PM »
I was chatting to a friend earlier about our cats and she was telling me of her old cat Amy who suddenley started limping. When she saw it she picked Amy up and cuddled her and the limp went but then it came back. After a few days of this she took Amy to the vet who did the usual prodding and poking and told my friend that Amy wasnt in pain at all and in his opinion she was taking the  :censored:

That reminded me of the time I took Mogs to the vet as she hadnt poohed in days. At that time I had 2 cats and 2 trays and one was Mogs's tray the other was Amber's and if I moved Mogs's tray to clean it she would wee on the floor rather than use Ambers so after about 4 days of finding no pooh in Mogs's tray I got worried. Tooke her too the vet only to be told she was totally fine and all I can think is suddenley she started using Amber's trays for pooh's and I hadnt noticed Amber was going more often  :evillaugh:

Then there was the time when my Mum took me and Amber to the vets as I was ill and couldnt drive and told the vet how when I got stressed Amber got stress cystitis only for the vet to say well if shes here every week asking for stress meds I'll know who's been taking them and its not the cat  :rofl:

I was just thinking surely someone apart from me has had an embarassing vet visit?

Well I know my parents did as their collie was banned from the vets after he wee'd on every display each time they took him so he had to stay outside until called  :naughty:

Link to CatChat