Author Topic: Forever home for a diabetic cat  (Read 7986 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Forever home for a diabetic cat
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 17:19:04 PM »
Spotted this little beauty - had you already seen her Raggiedoll?

http://www.catchat.org/paws4life/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2012102401

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
Heard back from Fran, she doesn't have any tabs on diabetics just now, but will let me know if she hears of any.  :)

How's the search going?

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 15:59:58 PM »
she hasn't been screened for cancer but she has been tested for pancreatis (negative) and it may be that this would show diferently if she had a tumour? i don't know. if you are interested in April i can ask our vet whether she thinks there is a possibility of her having a tumour.

she is a bit fiesty and has been a bit grumpy ! can't blame her really she has had a tough time.  although i think she will become a very loyal cat to her new owner, already she trusts me and my partner and pushed against me in the vet like i was her only friend.

h the moodiness will go once the regulation settles in my tilly was so angry when she first came and depressed but once we got her more regulated she became much happier and even started playing again, how is she with other cats ? if i pm you my email address maybe might be easier lol

she is better already now her dose has gone up. i have sent you an email  :)
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 00:20:12 AM »
I would ask to speak to Celia herself, as in my experience the helpers don't always select wisely. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but this is my genuine experience.

Honest, I'm a huge supporter of Celia but had never homed a cat from there before and the first time I did, we had a gruesome experience, and it was down to one of her homecheckers that we were given a totally unsuitable cat to re-home.

Turns out the homechecker that came to interview me and see my home (and that took over a week to happen) decided I'd be suitable for a young cat he'd been fostering himself, although I'd specifically asked for an older female. He'd told me the specific cat I'd seen on their site, Felicity, had been re-homed the day previously (!) and that there were no other older cats suitable for my rather crowded household.

When I had to return the cat, only after both I and my hubby had been brutally savaged, heartbroken and gutted, did I speak to Celia personally who had absolutely no idea I'd been interested in an older gentle natured female, in fact she didn't know I existed. She actually took me back into the rescue and showed me two beautiful old girls who she thought would have been perfect and had been in cages for months. She was very kind and I actually felt terrible for her, but was so shaken by the whole thing I couldn't think about taking another cat at the time.

Basically, he hadn't bothered to let CHAT know he had a potential home and palmed me off with a known troubled animal, so Celia was pretty upset when she saw the damage that had been done and that she'd lost a chance to re-home one of her older cats to me.

Like I say, call the rescue direct and ask what the delay is, and don't be scared to ask to come and talk to Celia about the home you are offering. You may be pleasantly surprised, and she is just such a lovely woman.

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Willow, Kami, Schumy, Dexter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 23:22:27 PM »
had put a call into celia hammond as she had a pair one diabetic with non diabetic brother but they aren't moving very fast atm, have a friend hopefully putting a word in for me

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 21:27:50 PM »
Nothing back from Fran yet, I'll post on this thread if anyone gets back. How's your search going?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 16:58:36 PM »
I'll make some quiet enquiries with my local resue too, Raggiedoll, I've got a hunch Cat and Kitten Care in Walthamstow will have tabs on a couple in foster care.

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 14:37:37 PM »
she hasn't been screened for cancer but she has been tested for pancreatis (negative) and it may be that this would show diferently if she had a tumour? i don't know. if you are interested in April i can ask our vet whether she thinks there is a possibility of her having a tumour.

she is a bit fiesty and has been a bit grumpy ! can't blame her really she has had a tough time.  although i think she will become a very loyal cat to her new owner, already she trusts me and my partner and pushed against me in the vet like i was her only friend.

h the moodiness will go once the regulation settles in my tilly was so angry when she first came and depressed but once we got her more regulated she became much happier and even started playing again, how is she with other cats ? if i pm you my email address maybe might be easier lol

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 14:31:54 PM »

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 17:28:41 PM »
hi there,
would you be intested in April?
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42203.msg745362.html#msg745362
I am fostering her at the moment so if you want to know more about her please let me know. we are still in the process of stabilising her condition, but she is a young cat and i want her to go to a home with someone who appreciates what looking after a diabetic cat entails. she is such a funny cat! very sweet and full of character.

Sorry for your loss, Tilly was so pretty, what a sweetie.

good work for loooking after her and wanting to take on another diabetic cat, i now appreciate how difficult it can be organinsing things around her (getting out of travelling all over for christmas is a bonus though  ;) )

forgot to ask has she been screened for cancer or anything i ask cause Tilly was the same age and turned out she had the pancreatic tumour

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 17:20:06 PM »
hi there,
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42203.msg745362.html#msg745362
I am fostering her at the moment so if you want to know more about her please let me know. we are still in the process of stabilising her condition, but she is a young cat and i want her to go to a home with someone who appreciates what looking after a diabetic cat entails. she is such a funny cat! very sweet and full of character.

good work for loooking after her and wanting to take on another diabetic cat, i now appreciate how difficult it can be organinsing things around her (getting out of travelling all over for christmas is a bonus though  ;) )

ah bless her she is all skinny, prob not anymore lol
it is tiresome i left a brick university because of Tilly as i couldn't be away that often so switched to open university and an excellent excuse come stay with us sorry can't got the cats lol

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 16:59:28 PM »
hi there,

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 16:15:13 PM »
Such a sweet cat  ;D

I will add her to the 5th Rainbow Bridge Roll of Honour  :hug: :hug:

ah thank you  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 23:19:19 PM »
Such a sweet cat  ;D

I will add her to the 5th Rainbow Bridge Roll of Honour  :hug: :hug:

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 13:36:18 PM »
I do hope you find one, cos so many need help  :hug: :hug:

What was the name of your late cat and which month did she go to the Bridge?

Tilly was her name

she was only four poor thing she was my first foster cat that i adopted
We lost her beginning of November

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
I do hope you find one, cos so many need help  :hug: :hug:

What was the name of your late cat and which month did she go to the Bridge?

Offline raggiedoll

• Kitten
Forever home for a diabetic cat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 22:35:04 PM »
I lost my diabetic cat over a month ago and would love to give another one a home, she died from a tumour nothing that could be done, very sudden.

I have great experience with insulin and the food needed as well as being home all day to keep an on them.

i have no preference of breed, moggie, age, sex just want to give one a home.

i am in London but i work in rescue and we have many volunteers who do transport runs for us

Link to CatChat