Author Topic: My new baby  (Read 6636 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: My new baby
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 22:31:24 PM »
Liz what's the latest on Mia?

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2012, 15:05:36 PM »
What a great name is Tizzie  ;D ;D

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2012, 02:57:50 AM »
The vets told us she ate everything they offered her at first but after a few days became discerning and stopped eating cat food. Oh and it was our fault as we'd brought in two packs of tesco finest buttered turkey slices for our sick cat and when she wouldn't eat them told the vets to feed them to the strays they had in the cage near Tizzie :rofl: Setting a rod for our own backs even before we took her in

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 19:34:16 PM »
she is just gorgeous  :Luv2:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 18:46:09 PM »
What a character !!
I wonder whether she had chicken before or just decided you'd keep her in the style she wanted to become accustomed to.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 18:38:44 PM »
she's adorable  :Luv:  so glad she's making such great progress  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2012, 18:20:09 PM »

Liz, she's a little poppet.   :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2012, 17:48:39 PM »
She has improved so much and am sure regular helpings of chicken will help and why leave the place where all the good things come from  ;D ;D

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 17:08:00 PM »
Thank you  :)

Her little cheeks puff out when she's displeased with the length of time taken between a human entering the kitchen and chicken appearing on her plate, and when she's being picked up for a quick cuddle  :Luv2: and she quacks at us too haha

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 14:14:36 PM »
Oh Liz, that look on her face made me laugh so much.  :Luv2: :hug:

It just goes to show what a lot of TLC from the right person can achieve.

Well done you ad hope you both have a lovely Christmas and a healthy 2013 together.

Mary and Bonnie xx
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 20:06:23 PM »
She's gorgeous and has improved so much from when you first had her.  She's an intelligent girl as well - kitchen is the source of all good things so why would you want to leave it!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 17:39:09 PM »
She's gorgeous- like a rag bag cat in a really nice way  :Luv2:

So glad to hear she's holding her own.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 17:29:52 PM »
What a cheeky little devil! She's beautiful, a real scruff-buff-powder-puff (as I used to call Tiggy!) :blow kiss:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 13:20:18 PM »
That's much better, her eyes were so sunken in her fist pic they were barely visible. I'm so pleased for little Mae, she's obviously decided she's found a good, reliable home and isn't allowing anyone to shift her from it now.   ;)

Well done, Liz, and thanks for such a lovely and positive update  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 13:07:50 PM »
She is looking a lot better  :) I'm with Mae, if my favourite meal appeared by magic in the kitchen think I would stay there too  :naughty: Hope she continues the improvement  :care:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
Sorry I didn't update, I'm naughty and forgot   :-[ Not so little Mae has had a few problems but she's coming on in leaps and bounds, she's quite a madam and let's us know when her plate is empty of roast chicken, that's still all she'll eat and she won't budge from the kitchen as that's where her chicken magically appears from  ;)

Her oedema's have settled down now she's on diuretics and her low dose of felimazole medication is helping her in a bit of cheese.

This is her improving, she'll look better when we're done feeding her up :-)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 20:18:20 PM »
You sound so lovely!
[/color]

She is.

Welcome to Purrs.

Update please Liz.

Mary

Offline Haybop86

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mercy
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Sorry, just seen this. The poor little darling is lucky you and your partner were there. You sound so lovely!

I'm sure she'll improve under your TLC, good luck to her and to you & your partner's new lives all living together  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 19:46:45 PM »
Sending loads of good wishes for Mae  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 19:43:35 PM »
Mae's definately been in the wars - poor little thing.  I'm certain your love will help her recover soon.

Massive hug from Bonnie to you Liz and a few pics to make you smile.  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
what medication is she on, Liz? and what dosage? vets tend to overmedicate in this country, and that can cause the kidneys to crash, as HyperT supports the kidney function - it would be very annoying, to put it mildly, if you were spending more than you had to on drugs for Mae only to make her worse

my Trigger was HyperT until he had the radioactive iodine treatment, and I got a lot of very valuable information from the Yahoo group http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is 3-4 days.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
We traveled up to the vets and picked up enough medication to last till Wednesday when ill be taking her back for a checkup. How long does the thyroid medication take to make them feel better?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
Hope she can fight this too, Liz, and I'm sorry to hear your finances are taking a beating.  :(

I agree with Louise, your vet could be making more of an effort as she is one of "their" rescues - have you told them your employment troubles? They may be able to at least reduce some of your consultation fees as pro-bono (my vet gives me a 10% discount on my rescue cats).

Well done for sticking by her.  :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
Good luck with getting a new job.
Poor Mae, she looks a real sweetie. :Luv2:
Fingers crossed the vet can get her on meds and stabilised.
If you've made life easy for the vet and taken her off their hands the least they could do is give you some free treatment for her.
 :hug:   

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »
Sorry to hear Mae has not been doing well, hope now you have a diagnosis she improves and also hope you manage to find a new job soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »
Poor little thing  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope you have another job soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
My new baby
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 23:56:26 PM »
Sorry to hear she's not been well :care: Has she started on thyroid meds?

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 23:39:28 PM »
Well little Mae puffed up on her 7th day of living with us and we took her to the vet. She is/was suffering Edema in her legs and belly which diuretics are now sorting, and we paid for blood tests which came back as over active thyroid  :innocent: The vets apologised but said the bloods they'd done while she was a stray with them didn't show that.

We still love her, even though between the cats it means we've spent over £700 in two weeks and my job finished on Friday

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 00:15:20 AM »
Aww bless, I reckon she'll look stunning after a few meals and some TLC. Clever girl obviously recognised a good thing when she called out to you at the vet. Good on you for giving her a home  :Luv2:

didn't gillian ambercat have one once who would only eat handfeed ham!  I think she managed to break the habit eventually but not sure how!
Willow had an issue with spoon feeding which I resorted to ensure she got the bit of food with her meds mashed into it. If I put a bowl in front of her she just sat and looked at it until the spoon came out and when the spoon was empty she'd sit back and patiently wait for it to be reloaded  :rofl: Now I'm down to one cat and there's only her to eat it I've refused to do spoon feed routine and after a few days of ignored bowls she gave in and feeds herself   :naughty:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 20:15:19 PM »
Bless her, hope she continues to improve :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 19:10:13 PM »
didn't gillian ambercat have one once who would only eat handfeed ham!  I think she managed to break the habit eventually but not sure how!
[/color]

I remember Gillian once posting a pic handfeeding one of her cats with crisps  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
My new baby
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
Bless her! :Luv: I wonder if her owner perhaps died as it sounds like she is used to creature comforts.

I fell into the trap of blending gourmet perle for Tiggy at every meal when she was elderly, til I realised she was having me on and was perfectly capable of eating it from the sachet - no more whizzy whizzy din dins!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
I asked the vet last night and she said E45 would be ok :-)

We've set a rod for our own backs with Mae as she'll only eat turkey slices or a little ham with cat milk. Even applaws is ignored haha. We'll feed her up for now on whatever she'll eat, found out she weighed 1.98kg when she was at vets, our little walking skeleton!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
OMG I just saw this, poor little mite. So pleased you've been able to offer her a loving home and sure she will flourish under your care.  :hug:

I wonder if the baldness on her ears could be a fungal infection. When Theo was picked up from the streets of Tottenham he had some bald patches on his ears from scratching and overgrooming, this irritation was caused by a fungal infection and we were advised by the rescue to treat it with Canestan cream - just rub a tiny bit in the affected area - it worked a treat and he now has wonderfully velvetty ears again.  :)

I think most of us have a bit of canestan in the bathroom cabinet (well, the ladies do anyway).

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:49 AM »
Not sure if this website might help you out Liz - Jojoba oil?

http://www.ehow.com/about_5044401_feline-dry-skin-treatment.html

Mary

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 03:04:16 AM »
 :hug: best of luck  :hug:   with your new arrival. My cat has always been a fussy eater. He likes the sachets of gourmet perle . Won't look at anything with jelly though.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:48 AM »
Wonder if she was some old ladies cat who either had to go into a home or died and the family threw her out when she would not eat food that they gave her.  Looking at her would say she is a senior so may be set in her ways where the food is concerned. For the bald ears for summer would definately recommend a high factor sun cream and it would not hurt even now to put it on so as to prevent skin cancer on the ears.

Good luck with the gorgeous girl and I am sure she will do well and they do take 2 or 3 days to settle in and eating properly
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 23:49:26 PM »
Sorry cant recommend anything for her ears as never put anything on Duchas as they were fine.

I aghree however to speak to the vets before putting anything on them because I believe that cod liver oil for humans is not safe for cats and dont know about Olive oil.

Sure they will be able to recommend something that you can buy at a chemist.

Link to CatChat